The Student Room Group

Has anyone actually had a successful academic appeal

Hey I have passed all my assignments throughout the course of my two year nursing associate training in the end I failed two of my assignment and when I submitted my retake I passed one of them at 55% and the other I got 35% but with the comments made I believe I meet the 40% criteria. I am also dyslexic and was reassured by my module leader that this would be taken into account but through my comments I have been scrutinised for spellings and grammatical errors. I am distraught - two years of hard. im looking into the quality act and reasonable adjustments. any help please
Unfortunately I don't think I have any experience/practical advice for this topic.. I just wanted to say that it sounds 100% fair to appeal and you have every right to do so! I hope you are successful, best of luck!
Original post by akaur91
Hey I have passed all my assignments throughout the course of my two year nursing associate training in the end I failed two of my assignment and when I submitted my retake I passed one of them at 55% and the other I got 35% but with the comments made I believe I meet the 40% criteria. I am also dyslexic and was reassured by my module leader that this would be taken into account but through my comments I have been scrutinised for spellings and grammatical errors. I am distraught - two years of hard. im looking into the quality act and reasonable adjustments. any help please

'Quality Act'? :erm: Do you mean 'equality legislation' more generally?

You don't actually say here why you think you should have passed? What, exactly, is your rationale? Also, note that dyslexia isn't a free pass or something: it will be taken into account, but you still need to come up to a certain standard, dyslexia or no dyslexia.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Unfortunately I don't think I have any experience/practical advice for this topic.. I just wanted to say that it sounds 100% fair to appeal and you have every right to do so! I hope you are successful, best of luck!

thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Hey thanks

can you help me please :smile:, what would you suggest

kind Regards
I won an academic appeal on my MSc (even though some numpties on here said I wouldn't). I had specific mitigating circumstances and with the help of the SU I argued it succesfully with evidence.
Reply 6
Original post by seekingmedhelp1
I won an academic appeal on my MSc (even though some numpties on here said I wouldn't). I had specific mitigating circumstances and with the help of the SU I argued it succesfully with evidence.

this is brilliant news, sounds so sad i just don't know what to put i believe their are areas where 5 marks can be gained. not sure how to elaborate on this
Reply 7
my best friend won her appeal (went from 68 to a first) but she had personal mitigating circumstances as her father was sentenced to two years imprisonment for committing serious GBH against his girlfriend. i won't lie to you: at my uni 'personal mitigating circumstances' is defined as unforeseen circumstances (you get sick, someone dies, etc). long term disabilities don't qualify since you know about them from the beginning and it's your responsibility to ask for help/academic adjustments before you go into the exam or assignment.

what are the grounds of appeal at your uni? you need to find one and create an argument with evidence as to why it applies to you.
Original post by Joleee
her father was sentenced to two years imprisonment for committing serious GBH against his girlfriend.

Crikey. That really is quite 'mitigating' in terms of the effect that must have had on your friend. Poor girl.
Reply 9
Original post by Joleee
my best friend won her appeal (went from 68 to a first) but she had personal mitigating circumstances as her father was sentenced to two years imprisonment for committing serious GBH against his girlfriend. i won't lie to you: at my uni 'personal mitigating circumstances' is defined as unforeseen circumstances (you get sick, someone dies, etc). long term disabilities don't qualify since you know about them from the beginning and it's your responsibility to ask for help/academic adjustments before you go into the exam or assignment.

what are the grounds of appeal at your uni? you need to find one and create an argument with evidence as to why it applies to you.

im thinking about the fact they know im dyslexic and i do not agree with the mark, according to the university dyslexia marking criteria it does not
Does your students union have an advisor? They will be best placed to look at your case and help you draft if they think you have a case.
Reply 11
At the places I have worked, the guidance for dyslexia ran as follows.

Markers should be sympathetic, but academic work must nevertheless meets academic standards re spelling and grammar. This means you get some leeway, but if there is a lot of feedback about your spelling etc, then that leeway is likely exhausted.

It is the student's responsibility to take advantage of library and /or departmental support. Most institutions have plentiful support options, but in my experience, not all are clear about how to access it.

You could try, but I don't think you have too much chance. That's if your place will even allow the challenge in the first place: only one place in which I have worked allowed challenges of this type, the rest only allow ext circs after the fact if there was a strong reason why you could not raise them at the time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by akaur91
im thinking about the fact they know im dyslexic and i do not agree with the mark, according to the university dyslexia marking criteria it does not

ok so they know you are dyslexic, so how do you know they haven't taken that into account in terms of your marking?

i'm not trying to discourage your appeal, but trying to encourage you on how to come up with evidence and an argument for grounds of appeal. 'i don't agree with the mark' isn't grounds or evidence tbh.
I have been involved in 2 successful appeals on the grounds that the university must put all objectively reasonable adjustments for a disabled student. Proofreading is an objectively reasonable adjustment.THe duty under the Equality act is that of the university ,providing it is aware of the disability(dyslexia meets the criteria of the act) .THe student does not need even ask for it .if the university is aware there is an issue and it clearly is if you have failed once it must assess the effectiveness of its adjustment and improve them unless they can prove it cannot be done with unreasonable effort. . If dyslexic issues have been commented on in the marking in my view they have objectively failed in their duty under the act and so have discriminated.
I would read the document below from the Equality and Human Right commission as it clearly sets out the duty of the university and appeal

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/publication-download/equality-act-2010-technical-guidance-further-and-higher-education
Original post by petertyerman
If dyslexic issues have been commented on in the marking in my view they have objectively failed in their duty under the act and so have discriminated.

You can't possibly say that, because you have literally zero of the facts of the case to make any sort of informed judgement on it :laugh:
Original post by Reality Check
You can't possibly say that, because you have literally zero of the facts of the case to make any sort of informed judgement on it :laugh:

I am quoting what the equality act says whether an appeal is successfully depends if the university has followed the process it is required to undertake.If a university proof reader allows result presented I believe this would be the case. if you doubt the position read the equality and human rights act guidance and look at appropriate case law you dont have take my view on it.
Reply 16
Can you share your experience please!Might be helpful.Ibam in a similar situation and I am looking for feedbacks.Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest