The Student Room Group

Is dating as an Asian guy hard?

Your thoughts? As a South Asian male, I feel like it's not impossible but definitely harder than most to do well

Scroll to see replies

Why do you say that?
It completely depends on the person, not the race. If you go into it with a inferiority complex then you're going to get worse results.
Reply 3
No because I'm a male
Reply 4
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Why do you say that?

I guess looking at things it seems like you have a smaller dating pool because of preferences, certain stigmas, etc
Reply 5
Why would you say "hard"? Are you thinking about the differences in culture and beliefs?
If it's hard, it's because you're not giving off enough western vibe. Simple as that. If you're from an area where you grew up w a lot of other minorities this is common.

Even if the above isnt applicable it can be hard because most people come from areas which are majority non minority.

When I lived in Liverpool, one if my closest mates had never before seen an Asian (maybe an exaggeration but it can be almost so)
Not really. I dated a Vietnamese guy but I'm half Malaysian myself so.
Reply 8
Original post by Yolz121
Why would you say "hard"? Are you thinking about the differences in culture and beliefs?

I guess your appearance does factor in a lot more and preconceived notions of culture so you're along the right lines
Original post by Anonymous
Your thoughts? As a South Asian male, I feel like it's not impossible but definitely harder than most to do well

I've been out with Asian girls and it's definitely harder than being with white girls.
Reply 10
why is it harder than most to do well?
Original post by Ki Yung Na
If it's hard, it's because you're not giving off enough western vibe. Simple as that. If you're from an area where you grew up w a lot of other minorities this is common.

Even if the above isnt applicable it can be hard because most people come from areas which are majority non minority.

When I lived in Liverpool, one if my closest mates had never before seen an Asian (maybe an exaggeration but it can be almost so)

I grew up in an area with a lot of minorities nearby, but myself am pretty western. Privately educated, RP accent (you'd think I was white on the phone) and not really that culturally connected (not out of choice but just happened to turn out like that and didn't see much family growing up).

Yes I agree it's probably harder to fit in where most people stick amongst their own. Even finding friends this sometimes becomes the case too like at uni a lot of British people just stuck with similar others rather than getting to know a wider range of individuals, etc.

Personally I don't seem to connect with other Asians too well or if I do, they seem not to fully include me..
Original post by georgeparasol12
I've been out with Asian girls and it's definitely harder than being with white girls.

What do you mean?
Reply 13
@asif007 you know what to do aha
Reply 14
Stop generalizing. Every person is different when dating, and that is not dependent on their race.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Stop generalizing. Every person is different when dating, and that is not dependent on their race.

I'm not generalising, I said I thought it might be the case but was asking about others' thoughts
Reply 16
I'm not generalising, I said I thought it might be the case but was asking about others' thoughts

I misread the OP, my bad.
I grew up in an area with a lot of minorities nearby, but myself am pretty western. Privately educated, RP accent (you'd think I was white on the phone) and not really that culturally connected (not out of choice but just happened to turn out like that and didn't see much family growing up).

Yes I agree it's probably harder to fit in where most people stick amongst their own. Even finding friends this sometimes becomes the case too like at uni a lot of British people just stuck with similar others rather than getting to know a wider range of individuals, etc.

Personally I don't seem to connect with other Asians too well or if I do, they seem not to fully include me..

I grew up in a white area with white friends. Even the first time I went to university and the second time I went I had mostly white friends initially. Truth is. There's always a disconnect bc there are cultural nuances you just don't share , however whitewashed (for lack of a better term) you are.

I used to have an issue with mixing with Asians too. Still kind of do. But if you just go along with the fact that you are western , Asians don't really care. They welcome it

As for dating white people. I've only ever dated one white person and as much as I thought I connected, only afterwards with time did I realise that it's not the same thing as when you connect with someone with the same ideas or themes of background.

You don't have to be the same to be compatible but you see things better from other perspectives. It's kind of like how many of most of not all white people will not truly understand racism

That's my thoughts at least

I think systemic racism makes it harder for certain minorities such as asian men and black women to find dates
I think for south Asian girls it’s hard because of the idea of reputation installed in the family. South Asian men on the other hand have a lot of freedom so they can date whoever they want and the family won’t care much. I think however as south Asians it is typically harder to date outside of race due to the fact of the culture differences you were brought up with so the other half won’t really understand your struggle but I see a lot of south Asian men with white women nowadays so I don’t think it’s that hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending