The Student Room Group

Disappointed with the university experience

So, I'm studying maths at a RG university, and I've been a little disappointed with what we've received if I'm honest.

For first year we get marked work and small group teaching (around 10) for half of the modules we sit, and the we tutorials for the remaining half of modules with around 50 people in.

Then, next year, there's no mark worked, no small group teaching and just tutorials with around 50 people in for each module (and of course the lectures).

I've been talking to my friends from other universities and they still seem to get that small group teaching in years other than first year, and we just don't. I understand we're not supposed to be coddled, but equally I was hoping for something a little more.

Does anyone else feel like this?
it depends entirely on your course/uni. the vast majority of my contact hours are lectures with around 300 students and i enjoy them the most.
Reply 2
Original post by bubblecat
it depends entirely on your course/uni. the vast majority of my contact hours are lectures with around 300 students and i enjoy them the most.

I do enjoy the lectures, and I think I get a lot out of them, it's just I would prefer to have some small group teaching because I feel that would be beneficial and allow you to iron out issues. Whereas, with the larger group sessions, it can be hard to get things sorted.
I'm on an MA and for some modules there were 21 of us and then for others there were only 6-safe to say I really missed all the others when this happened! It was really boring, drawn out, awkward at some points because they were 3 hour seminars which they wouldn't allow you to leave early from.
Original post by Anonymous
I do enjoy the lectures, and I think I get a lot out of them, it's just I would prefer to have some small group teaching because I feel that would be beneficial and allow you to iron out issues. Whereas, with the larger group sessions, it can be hard to get things sorted.

There is a reason office hours exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending