The Student Room Group

Access to Nursing

Hi,

First time posting in here!
I had a conditional offer through from my local college a few weeks ago for a place on the Access to Nursing course starting in September. It means me quitting my full time job to do this now I have finally found the confidence (I am 30 years old)

I emailed them a few questions I have but nobody has got back to me as of yet so I need to ring them to try clarify. But is anyone else concerned about the course not going ahead due to Corona virus? I don't know know if I'm just being paranoid and thinking the worst now I have finally gone for it. I just have a horrible feeling it will not go ahead. Maybe I am just overthinking it but it would be great if anyone has any reassurance?

Also whilst here, I don't have any relevant work experience for Nursing or Midwifery. I have always worked in Finance even though this has always been my dream career. My chosen uni has said work experience is not an entry requirement but it certainly does back up the application. So I am trying to get some work experience. I have emailed local care homes, hospital, maternity wards, local private midwife but nearly all have come back to me saying due to Corona virus work experience is not possible at the minute. Has anyone managed to successfully gain a place at Uni without experience? It's not for lack of trying so I feel a bit deflated before I have even begun.

Any help would be appreciated
Firstly, congrats on getting a place and going ahead with your dream. I've just finished my Access to Nursing and I'm 32 now, it's never too late to do so :smile:

ATM colleges and exam boards are going ahead for now depending on how the coronavirus situation plays out. Most colleges have planned video learning and slideshows as the worst-case scenario if it comes to it so I wouldn't worry.

Regarding experience, if they required it then the 18 year olds applying wouldn't be accepted. I've got a place at Leicester for Adult and Mental Health Nursing (Dual Registration) and I don't have any healthcare experience either. They're more concerned about what you're like as a person, your values and how you'd fit in to a nursing role.

Hope this helps reassure you and good luck with your course :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MedicWil
Firstly, congrats on getting a place and going ahead with your dream. I've just finished my Access to Nursing and I'm 32 now, it's never too late to do so :smile:

ATM colleges and exam boards are going ahead for now depending on how the coronavirus situation plays out. Most colleges have planned video learning and slideshows as the worst-case scenario if it comes to it so I wouldn't worry.

Regarding experience, if they required it then the 18 year olds applying wouldn't be accepted. I've got a place at Leicester for Adult and Mental Health Nursing (Dual Registration) and I don't have any healthcare experience either. They're more concerned about what you're like as a person, your values and how you'd fit in to a nursing role.

Hope this helps reassure you and good luck with your course :smile:

Thank you so much for your response, this has helped to put my mind at ease. Congratulations on getting a place too and good luck with it x
Hiya, I’m doing access in September too, having just done pre access. My college is well set up with a mix of online and face to face. For the last 12 weeks of pre access we were on full lockdown and used Microsoft teams, which actually worked really well!

Most universities are being very flexible with regards to the work experience required so don’t worry too much. I emailed Lincoln about it and they sent back a nice email explaining it isn’t actually an entry requirement and lots of people are struggling this year.

Which universities are you planning on applying too?
Reply 4
Original post by Georgie0
Hiya, I’m doing access in September too, having just done pre access. My college is well set up with a mix of online and face to face. For the last 12 weeks of pre access we were on full lockdown and used Microsoft teams, which actually worked really well!

Most universities are being very flexible with regards to the work experience required so don’t worry too much. I emailed Lincoln about it and they sent back a nice email explaining it isn’t actually an entry requirement and lots of people are struggling this year.

Which universities are you planning on applying too?

Ah that's great, it's nice to know others are in the same position as me. How did you find the pre access? I'm so nervous about it all but cant wait. I am applying to Chester and jmu I think.
The pre access was great! Bit odd after March as we were at home by then. It’s not a hard course, more designed to get you used to working.
I can’t wait to get started!!

Quick Reply

Latest