The Student Room Group

Michael Gove claims masks aren’t compulsory in shops

“I trust people’s good sense”
I’m not too sure why they’re deciding to overuse this sentence but why risk it?
Why risk not wearing masks in shops?

Scroll to see replies

"I trust people's good sense..."

Has he met over half of this country? Bunch of arrogant, selfish, entitled fools. Masks are compulsory on public transport and the way that is being enforced is an absolute shambles. Might as well not make it law, because no-one gives a ****.
Disclaimer: this post does not apply for viewers in Scotland. Follow the advice of Wee Jimmy Krankie and the racist, seperatist nutters shouting at English drivers.
Well, they aren't compulsory in shops at the moment. I'm not too keen on the state telling businesses how to operate (ie that people in shops must wear masks) but I don't think it'll go ahead anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Disclaimer: this post does not apply for viewers in Scotland. Follow the advice of Wee Jimmy Krankie and the racist, seperatist nutters shouting at English drivers.
Well, they aren't compulsory in shops at the moment. I'm not too keen on the state telling businesses how to operate (ie that people in shops must wear masks) but I don't think it'll go ahead anyway.

This is a different scenario though. This is more of an investment sort of action (telling businesses that masks are compulsory) because any sort of safeguarding measures kind of go out the window in shops and crowded areas like so. This could cause a second spike and then maybe another lockdown if the government dared and businesses, instead of operating under government regulations, may not be able to operate at all
Original post by EdFritz13
This is a different scenario though. This is more of an investment sort of action (telling businesses that masks are compulsory) because any sort of safeguarding measures kind of go out the window in shops and crowded areas like so. This could cause a second spike and then maybe another lockdown if the government dared and businesses, instead of operating under government regulations, may not be able to operate at all

The issue with that idea is that second waves are going to keep happening until we either have herd immunity or a vaccine, because people will get back to normal behaviours at the end of lockdowns, which spreads the virus further and causes a second spike.
They really should be. The SNP have the right idea, and that's why Scottish figures are down to single digit per day infections, and no deaths in 3 days while England's infection rate continues to soar. England's a basket case of a nation. Probably wouldn't have been if you'd elected the bloke who doesn't want you to kill your nan for the sake of the line, but you made your bed.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Probably wouldn't have been if you'd elected the bloke who doesn't want you to kill your nan for the sake of the line, but you made your bed.

The line?
They really should be. The SNP have the right idea, and that's why Scottish figures are down to single digit per day infections, and no deaths in 3 days while England's infection rate continues to soar. England's a basket case of a nation. Probably wouldn't have been if you'd elected the bloke who doesn't want you to kill your nan for the sake of the line, but you made your bed.

That’s a bit ingenuous given that the Scotland is massively subsidised by the UK as a hole. This whole sorry state is very tricky. Public health vs. jobs and an economy. It’s all very well locking down everyone indefinitely and paying them from borrowed money, but the economy has to get back up and running sometime if the situation is to be saved from a dire health issue to a dire economic and social, and then health issue.
They really should be. The SNP have the right idea, and that's why Scottish figures are down to single digit per day infections, and no deaths in 3 days

Face coverings were mandatory in England before Scotland on public transport, and have only been mandatory in shops since Friday, so aren't the reason behind the difference.

while England's infection rate continues to soar.

ONS surveillance surveys suggest a declining trend in infections in England, with the occasional plateau.
Original post by Smack
ONS surveillance surveys suggest a declining trend in infections in England, with the occasional plateau.

Not to mention that England was always going to have more infections than Scotland because more people live in England and population density is higher here.
Reply 10

Right. Nothing at all to do with the fact that Scotland has a far more sparse population (even within the cities) of just 5 million compared to England's 55 million. Nope, it's all down to Nicola Sturgeon and her magical face burkas.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Not to mention that England was always going to have more infections than Scotland because more people live in England and population density is higher here.

Original post by Wōden
Right. Nothing at all to do with the fact that Scotland has a far more sparse population (even within the cities) of just 5 million compared to England's 55 million. Nope, it's all down to Nicola Sturgeon and her magical face burkas.

70% of the Scottish population live in a small area of the country. Demographic differences can not explain the marked difference in per capita death rates between England and Scotland.

You both need to learn to be more critical towards the Conservative government rather than trying to make weak excuses for their abject failures.
Original post by Trotsky's Ghost
70% of the Scottish population live in a small area of the country. Demographic differences can not explain the marked difference in per capita death rates between England and Scotland.

You both need to learn to be more critical towards the Conservative government rather than trying to make weak excuses for their abject failures.

Rock clapping.gif
There is an inherent fear in British governments of coming off as authoritarian, that and middle class people like Give assuming everyone else is fairly polite like them.
I say this as one of the great unwashed myself.
Reply 14
Original post by EdFritz13
“I trust people’s good sense”
I’m not too sure why they’re deciding to overuse this sentence but why risk it?
Why risk not wearing masks in shops?

Title is wrong. He didn't say they "arent" compulsory, as a directive, he said he didn't think they should be.
Original post by imlikeahermit
"I trust people's good sense..."

Has he met over half of this country? Bunch of arrogant, selfish, entitled fools. Masks are compulsory on public transport and the way that is being enforced is an absolute shambles. Might as well not make it law, because no-one gives a ****.

Your ignorance is immeasurable, everyone is a fool bar me:mad:
Original post by Trotsky's Ghost

Population density is lower in Scotland than in England, even within the central belt.

What a shortsighted polarised view or a blatant attempt at political point scoring.

There are many other things to take into consideration, nobody wirth their weight does a analysis based on one factor alone. Society is a complex structure.

Anyway the guy who would sell his Nan for "the line" whatever that is? Has over ridden Gove

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-53397617
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Burton Bridge
Your ignorance is immeasurable, everyone is a fool bar me:mad:

Your eyes clearly don't work.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Your eyes clearly don't work.

Dam it, I went to specsavers as well lol

Quick Reply

Latest