The Student Room Group

why are they making masks compulsory NOW?

i've been working in a shop this whole time. why are they only enforcing this rule now and not when the virus was at its peak?

Scroll to see replies

To slow the spread of infection from now onwards.

As for why not earlier, I present the long list of government failures to act and general incompetence surrounding covid-19 as evidence to why it would be unreasonable to expect this government to make any good decisions. There was also the significant lack of PPE available due to a government refusal to buy it earlier in the year. We ended up an international charity case over it.

That doesn't stop the introduction of masks now being a positive thing still, though. Plus it is now likely to be busier in shops and out & about than it previously was, hence the increased risk
Yeah, this policy should have been brought in ages ago. Sadly our government is characterised by lack of decisive leadership.

I'm so looking forwards to snowflakes having meltdowns over having to wear a mask.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think the pandemic response in this country has been wrongfooted from day one by a leadership afraid of coming across as authoritarian.
Strong decisive leadership was needed instead of dithering and "we recommend"
If this is enforced the same way that it’s being enforced on public transport then it’ll be an utter shambles. Suddenly it seems, half the population has asthma. I’ve seen groups of teenagers regularly on without them, all clearly over the age of 11, although to be fair, some ‘adults’ are just as bad.

It is the right thing to do, but our public won’t conform. Police are far too busy on their knees to give out fines as well.
Original post by 04MR17
To slow the spread of infection from now onwards.

As for why not earlier, I present the long list of government failures to act and general incompetence surrounding covid-19 as evidence to why it would be unreasonable to expect this government to make any good decisions. There was also the significant lack of PPE available due to a government refusal to buy it earlier in the year. We ended up an international charity case over it.

That doesn't stop the introduction of masks now being a positive thing still, though. Plus it is now likely to be busier in shops and out & about than it previously was, hence the increased risk

Does the virus only spread in shops?
Original post by DiddyDec
Does the virus only spread in shops?
No, but indoor enclosed spaces with a close concentration of people is where it is easier to spread, I believe.
Original post by 04MR17
No, but indoor enclosed spaces with a close concentration of people is where it is easier to spread, I believe.

Like a pub or gym?
It does seem a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Masks dont seem that effective since if air particles can get in and out then surely viruses must be able to. To be effective surely it would need some type of filter and cover the eyes, a bit of scarf or tshirt material doesnt seem like it will stop much. Plus it seems a bit odd that you can go for a drink in a crowded pub not wearing one but you need one to go into a shop which are all socially distanced now anyway.
Still i will just do it, if it has some benefit to others then cool it's worth it, even if it does seem a bit illogical. I made me and my parent some the other day and i enjoyed making them tbh, was something to do.
Like a pub or gym?
Indeed, yes.
Original post by 04MR17
Indeed, yes.

But masks won't be mandatory in pubs or gyms...
But masks won't be mandatory in pubs or gyms...

But that isn't exactly my fault is it?
I wish they were mandatory.
Original post by 04MR17
But that isn't exactly my fault is it?
I wish they were mandatory.

I wish they weren't, they ruin my well groomed moustache and beard.
I wish they weren't, they ruin my well groomed moustache and beard.

Ah, Moustache > pandemic. Silly me.
Original post by 04MR17
Ah, Moustache > pandemic. Silly me.

My chance of dying is 0.1% and that is notwithstanding the incredibly low chance of me actually catching it.

So yeah, my moustache is more important.
My chance of dying is 0.1% and that is notwithstanding the incredibly low chance of me actually catching it.

So yeah, my moustache is more important.

I don't believe that is the point. Your chance of being personally affected may be low but the likelihood of you carrying the virus to other people is much higher, hence the mask. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
I don't believe that is the point. Your chance of being personally affected may be low but the likelihood of you carrying the virus to other people is much higher, hence the mask. :smile:

Not my problem.
Not my problem.

Do you feel it would be your problem if the country returned to a situation where more restrictions had to be imposed again?
Or if your local area was in a localised lockdown following an increase in cases? :holmes:
Original post by 04MR17
Do you feel it would be your problem if the country returned to a situation where more restrictions had to be imposed again?
Or if your local area was in a localised lockdown following an increase in cases? :holmes:

Not really, my life really hasn't changed much since the easing of lockdown.
I never really understood the delay either. They say it was because for a long time there was 'little evidence' that face masks did much to prevent transmission of the virus but surely it's just common sense that they do, since the main way it is passed on is through the nose and mouth.

Quick Reply

Latest