The Student Room Group

Cambridge colleges accommodation 2020/2021

Hi all, I'm an incoming Master's student in Downing College and so far haven't heard back from Downing re my acommodation and this worries me as I'm an international student.

The accommodation was supposed to be allocated in April/May time, but due to COVID it's been postponed. So far there seems to be no comms yet regarding when we'll hear back, so I'm quite concerned! I was thinking that I could potentially rent from outside college, but it's such a huge part of a Cambridge experience to live inside the college so I don't want to miss this.

If you're also an incoming undergrad / postgrad, have you heard back from your college regarding your accom?
Original post by Brownlatte08
Hi all, I'm an incoming Master's student in Downing College and so far haven't heard back from Downing re my acommodation and this worries me as I'm an international student.

The accommodation was supposed to be allocated in April/May time, but due to COVID it's been postponed. So far there seems to be no comms yet regarding when we'll hear back, so I'm quite concerned! I was thinking that I could potentially rent from outside college, but it's such a huge part of a Cambridge experience to live inside the college so I don't want to miss this.

If you're also an incoming undergrad / postgrad, have you heard back from your college regarding your accom?

There's loads about this in the PG forum. Often PG accommodation isn't dealt with until after undergrad results and therefore numbers are out in mid August. Even if Colleges ask for PG accommodation preferences before that, the don't usually start allocating rooms until the bulk have people have met their conditions, there's no point allocating rooms to people that aren't turning up. Then on top of that, covid has thrown things up in the air. Many College are trying to work out if they can arrange their accommodation so that staircases and houses can operate as 'households' or 'bubbles' to allow some free association etc with a semi-fixed group of friends.

There's nothing stopping you asking your MCR what the College is proposing, though the College might be busy.
Original post by threeportdrift
There's loads about this in the PG forum. Often PG accommodation isn't dealt with until after undergrad results and therefore numbers are out in mid August. Even if Colleges ask for PG accommodation preferences before that, the don't usually start allocating rooms until the bulk have people have met their conditions, there's no point allocating rooms to people that aren't turning up. Then on top of that, covid has thrown things up in the air. Many College are trying to work out if they can arrange their accommodation so that staircases and houses can operate as 'households' or 'bubbles' to allow some free association etc with a semi-fixed group of friends.

There's nothing stopping you asking your MCR what the College is proposing, though the College might be busy.

Noted.. thanks a lot for your answers and insights!
I recently reached out to the grad admissions & accommodation officer and have been doing so since April, and still the same answer. Just thought people might have insights on what other colleges are doing. I wasn't able to find the PG Cambridge thread so thanks for pointing out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending