The Student Room Group

Very rich people call for higher taxes - on themselves

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imlikeahermit
If he can afford a £180 smart mug out of his salary I’m sure Rishi’s good for an extra fiver.
The mug was a present, I'm told. And are far worse ways to spend £180, I'm sure Johnson has many examples.
Original post by 04MR17
Then surely Mr Johnson and Sunak should too? Since their wealth is also of some considerable millions last I checked. :wink:

i have absolutely no problem with wealthy Tories .... they are the party of wealth generators. The Labour Party is supposed to be the party of the poverty stricken and downtrodden... the vast wealth of people like Mr Starmer is very discordant.
Original post by 04MR17
The mug was a present, I'm told. And are far worse ways to spend £180, I'm sure Johnson has many examples.

I completely agree. The fact that it was even a story in the first place is a piss take.
Original post by the bear
i have absolutely no problem with wealthy Tories .... they are the party of wealth generators. The Labour Party is supposed to be the party of the poverty stricken and downtrodden... the vast wealth of people like Mr Starmer is very discordant.
Then I think you're oversimplifying the principles of both parties and assuming that political positions of parties are fixed ideologies.
Original post by the bear

That's simply inaccurate.
To the best of my knowledge you can voluntarily make a donation to HMRC. I look forward to these people doing that.
Reply 26
Original post by Burton Bridge
That's simply inaccurate.

Interesting how most people's reaction to aggressive tax avoidance is met with a shrug of the shoulders but once you suggest taxing the ultra wealthy slightly more, people are up in arms.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
To the best of my knowledge you can voluntarily make a donation to HMRC. I look forward to these people doing that.

How?
Original post by DSilva
Interesting how most people's reaction to aggressive tax avoidance is met with a shrug of the shoulders but once you suggest taxing the ultra wealthy slightly more, people are up in arms.

I particularly like the 'fairness' argument the right come up with on taxation but never, ever, mention fairness in any other topic. Should I mention fairness I'm a leftist, bleeding heart liberal or some other nonsensical tripe?

What's that all about, then?
Reply 29
I particularly like the 'fairness' argument the right come up with on taxation but never, ever, mention fairness in any other topic. Should I mention fairness I'm a leftist, bleeding heart liberal or some other nonsensical tripe?

What's that all about, then?

Quite.

Ultra wealthy individuals and companies avoiding tax, meaning ordinary people have to bare the brunt = fair

Charging ultra wealthy individuals and companies slightly more tax to ensure we have well funded public services = totally unfair and unreasonable.
Original post by DSilva
Quite.

Ultra wealthy individuals and companies avoiding tax, meaning ordinary people have to bare the brunt = fair

Charging ultra wealthy individuals and companies slightly more tax to ensure we have well funded public services = totally unfair and unreasonable.

Or wealthy people avoiding taxation meaning ordinary people have to bare the brunt and the extreme vulnerable literally die - smart rich people and fair because the vulnerable must be lazy and ordinary people thick or uneducated.

Providing safety net via charging those who wont miss it or lose their high quality standard of living of life through their tax contribution, more tax in pound notes so they can provide a safety net to keep the most vulnerable and hard working low paid from poverty - unfair politics of envy because you obviously arnt wealthy .... obviously :rolleyes:

And what's this BS about the tories being the party of wealth creators, if they create so much wealth how come poverty is soaring through the bloody roof.... oh stop it, it boils my piss mate :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 32

Don't think that's correct - it's just a letter from a random person.

You can make a donation to the national debt, but you can't legally pay more tax than you owe.
Original post by DSilva
Don't think that's correct - it's just a letter from a random person.

You can make a donation to the national debt, but you can't legally pay more tax than you owe.

I see.

Can you show me the HMRC webpage or document that actually states the process, please?

In any case it should be regulated not voluntary.
Or wealthy people avoiding taxation meaning ordinary people have to bare the brunt and the extreme vulnerable literally die - smart rich people and fair because the vulnerable must be lazy and ordinary people thick or uneducated.

Providing safety net via charging those who wont miss it or lose their high quality standard of living of life through their tax contribution, more tax in pound notes so they can provide a safety net to keep the most vulnerable and hard working low paid from poverty - unfair politics of envy because you obviously arnt wealthy .... obviously :rolleyes:

And what's this BS about the tories being the party of wealth creators, if they create so much wealth how come poverty is soaring through the bloody roof.... oh stop it, it boils my piss mate :biggrin:

@DSilva I just reread my post, sorry it didn't make any sense lol edited it now :biggrin:
In any case it should be regulated not voluntary.

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you want higher taxes?
Reply 37

A lot of people would were it to mean greater investment in public sevrcies and higher pay for key workers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-8384013/amp/Would-willing-pay-income-tax-help-Britain-recover.html

Of course this means ultra wekathy individuals paying their taxes rather than avoiding them.

Depends how the taxes are implemented. The general answer is, yes I do, because I realise the current tax system isnt pulling enough money in to protect the most vulnerable from extreme poverty and death. I believe the right to life and opportunity should be a available to all, not just some.
Original post by DSilva
A lot of people would were it to mean greater investment in public sevrcies and higher pay for key workers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-8384013/amp/Would-willing-pay-income-tax-help-Britain-recover.html

Of course this means ultra wekathy individuals paying their taxes rather than avoiding them.

How would you deal with companies basing themselves in Luxembourg or Andorra in order to avoid tax?
I believe the right to life and opportunity should be a available to all, not just some.

It is though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending