The Student Room Group

Eligibility for a second master of the second one is in STEM

Hi all,

I current have a master in finance and I am planning to start a new one in computing next January.

I was browsing the UK. Gov funding website on the link below and found the following

You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree in one of the following (or 2 if it’s a joint Honours degree):

agriculture and related subjectsarchitecture (if it’s a MArch RIBA Part 2 course)
biological sciences
computer science
mathematical sciences
medicine and allied subjects
physical sciences
technologies

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies?step-by-step-nav=18045f76-ac04-41b7-b147-5687d8fbb64a

Its all. A bit confusing, and I am trying to understand if as holder of a master degree, I would eligible for student finance / assistance whilst pursuing a second master in the stem discipline.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by LoicS
Hi all,

I current have a master in finance and I am planning to start a new one in computing next January.

I was browsing the UK. Gov funding website on the link below and found the following

You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree in one of the following (or 2 if it’s a joint Honours degree):

agriculture and related subjectsarchitecture (if it’s a MArch RIBA Part 2 course)
biological sciences
computer science
mathematical sciences
medicine and allied subjects
physical sciences
technologies

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies?step-by-step-nav=18045f76-ac04-41b7-b147-5687d8fbb64a

Its all. A bit confusing, and I am trying to understand if as holder of a master degree, I would eligible for student finance / assistance whilst pursuing a second master in the stem discipline.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, you can get funding for a second degree. Can you advise us of the university and course name and we can check this.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Hi Isaac,

I have an MSc in finance from suisses University and I'd like to complete the MSc Applied AI and Data Science from Solent university

Thanks for taking the time to look in to it.

Regards
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, you can get funding for a second degree. Can you advise us of the university and course name and we can check this.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

I have an MSc in finance from suisses University and I'd like to complete the MSc Applied AI and Data Science from Solent university

Regards
Original post by LoicS
Hi Isaac,

Regards

Unfortunately you can't funding for this.

You can only get funding for a second degree if it's an exceptions course. As you already have a masters qualification you can't receive funding for another.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Isaac
Unfortunately you can't funding for this.

You can only get funding for a second degree if it's an exceptions course. As you already have a masters qualification you can't receive funding for another.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks Isaac,

How can I get the list of exception courses,

Thanks

L
Original post by LoicS
Thanks Isaac,

How can I get the list of exception courses,

Thanks

L

To get funding for another masters, you would need to study a postgraduate healthcare course, like nursing, midwifery etc.

You can get funding for an undergraduate second degree if it's an exceptions course.
Here are the undergraduate exception courses

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies