The Student Room Group

Uni not responding to emails and UCAS deadline is a week away

I got a conditional offer for Psychology from MMU on the 18th June, but had some questions about the offer they gave me, so I sent off an email same day.

It's now been almost a month and I've had no reply, and my UCAS deadline is on the 20/07. I've tried calling the admissions number for the psych department, but it just redirects to the studenthub, and they've been useless. I've called several times and they always brush me off or tell me to just send another email.

I'm really running out of time, MMU is my first choice of uni, but at this rate they probably won't reply before the deadline. Has anyone had a similar thing, or got any ideas for other ways I can contact them?
Hey, I have a conditional offer for MMU too. Can you maybe tell me what your questions are and maybe I can help you?
Reply 2
Original post by Annabelle147
Hey, I have a conditional offer for MMU too. Can you maybe tell me what your questions are and maybe I can help you?

Earlier this year I withdrew from my second year at Keele University and was hoping to transfer to somewhere else. But because I only got 90 credits in my first year at Keele, I wasn't able to transfer anywhere, and had to apply for year one again. The offer MMU gave me was that I needed proof of passing first year at Keele with 120 credits, which is kind of odd if I'm applying for first year at MMU, and they didn't want any A Level results. They also wanted receipt of a DBS check which is super weird, it isn't usually required for my course. I'm trying to ask them if I can still get in with 90 credits and make up for the credits with extra electives, and why I need a DBS check.
Oh ok! Thats a little out of my knowledge range as I will only be a first year student in September sorry. I did 180 credits at college for the last 2 years and they just said I had to meet the entry requirements for the course which is DMM (I did a btec course rather than a-levels). I have heard before that for some courses like your course you do need a dbs check (couldn’t tell you why but its probably something to do with the nature of work?...).
Reply 4
Original post by Annabelle147
Oh ok! Thats a little out of my knowledge range as I will only be a first year student in September sorry. I did 180 credits at college for the last 2 years and they just said I had to meet the entry requirements for the course which is DMM (I did a btec course rather than a-levels). I have heard before that for some courses like your course you do need a dbs check (couldn’t tell you why but its probably something to do with the nature of work?...).

It's okay, thanks anyway :smile:. A friend who does psych at MMU said she never had to do a DBS check, and I've not had that for any other uni, so just kinda odd. Also costs like £30 to get it done so want to avoid it if I can
Original post by IndigoMo
I got a conditional offer for Psychology from MMU on the 18th June, but had some questions about the offer they gave me, so I sent off an email same day.

It's now been almost a month and I've had no reply, and my UCAS deadline is on the 20/07. I've tried calling the admissions number for the psych department, but it just redirects to the studenthub, and they've been useless. I've called several times and they always brush me off or tell me to just send another email.

I'm really running out of time, MMU is my first choice of uni, but at this rate they probably won't reply before the deadline. Has anyone had a similar thing, or got any ideas for other ways I can contact them?

Ring them up. Not the department call central admissions. Ask the name and job title of the person you speak to and if they’re unable to help then ask if they can transfer you to someone more senior.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's okay, thanks anyway :smile:. A friend who does psych at MMU said she never had to do a DBS check, and I've not had that for any other uni, so just kinda odd. Also costs like £30 to get it done so want to avoid it if I can

I've never heard of anyone needing a DBS for a Psychology degree but as it is listed on the MMU website as a requirement, you do need to apply for it asap or risk getting rejected from the course for the sake of £30
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Ring them up. Not the department call central admissions. Ask the name and job title of the person you speak to and if they’re unable to help then ask if they can transfer you to someone more senior.

There is no general admissions number for undergrad from what I can see on the website, and the main uni contact number is down. The only place I can contact is the student hub, and they've been pretty useless and just tell me to resend emails. I've tried calling several times and it's always the same.
Reply 8
Original post by harrysbar
I've never heard of anyone needing a DBS for a Psychology degree but as it is listed on the MMU website as a requirement, you do need to apply for it asap or risk getting rejected from the course for the sake of £30

Huh, didn't even see that on the website, oops. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet with that and apply for it, thanks
There is no general admissions number for undergrad from what I can see on the website, and the main uni contact number is down. The only place I can contact is the student hub, and they've been pretty useless and just tell me to resend emails. I've tried calling several times and it's always the same.

Try copying in your email to
[email protected]
[email protected]
and
[email protected] (the big boss of admissions https://www.mmu.ac.uk/about-us/our-people/board-of-governors/karen-varty.php#:~:text=Karen%20Varty,student%20recruitment%20and%20widening%20participation. - her email address is available if you google her name and "email address"....)
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Try copying in your email to
[email protected]
[email protected]
and
[email protected] (the big boss of admissions https://www.mmu.ac.uk/about-us/our-people/board-of-governors/karen-varty.php#:~:text=Karen%20Varty,student%20recruitment%20and%20widening%20participation. - her email address is available if you google her name and "email address"....)

I've sent some emails off to them now, thanks so much :smile:
I've sent some emails off to them now, thanks so much :smile:

Hi I’m in a similar position . I applied for foundation year got the offer but they haven’t responded to my emails at all??
Or my calls?
I’ll try doing this I’m at my wits end now
Reply 12
Still not got an email back from anyone. Think the Karen Varty email is wrong, the @ is for manchester uni rather than MMU, so I think it's her old email from when she worked at manchester. I've tried calling the studenthub again, but it's just silence and then they hang up on me. It's super frustrating, only got four days left before the deadline.
Still not got an email back from anyone. Think the Karen Varty email is wrong, the @ is for manchester uni rather than MMU, so I think it's her old email from when she worked at manchester. I've tried calling the studenthub again, but it's just silence and then they hang up on me. It's super frustrating, only got four days left before the deadline.

Oh you're right I missed that - it's always worth trying it with the mmu.ac.uk suffix

Have you tried pestering them on facebook/twitter?

[email protected] is definitely valid and is the big big boss (not quite the vice chancellor but close).
[email protected] is too and is the Pro Vice Chancellor for the Health, Psychology and Social Care faculty.
Reply 14
Finally got some progress, called the student hub again and got through to someone this time. They've forwarded it all to the head of admissions as top priority so I should get a response in the next few days. Apparently they're being quite lenient with entry requirements for everyone, and are looking for 50% overall in modules, instead of 120 credits. There's also a chance they might transfer me direct to second year too, which would be ideal. So it's looking quite good right now :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by BillieGC
Hi I’m in a similar position . I applied for foundation year got the offer but they haven’t responded to my emails at all??
Or my calls?
I’ll try doing this I’m at my wits end now

Have you called the student hub? It can be a mixed bag depending on who answers, but you might be able to ask them to prioritise your case, especially if you've been waiting ages for a response. Is your UCAS deadline the 20th July?
It’s always worth asking for the name and job title of the people you speak to on the phone (and make a show of writing it down). It’s amazing how customer service improves when people can be held accountable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending