The Student Room Group

Resitting A level biology?

Hi, I'm currently at university and I would like to resit A level biology, I was wondering how to go about this. Would I just need to book the exams and sit them, or also book a practical and sit this??

I'm slightly clueless as I know A levels have changed recently. Any help would be appreciated!
Why do you want to resit your A Level Biology? Does your current course at university have aspects of Biology in it and you don't feel like you're up-to-par? Are you looking to transfer courses and so you need a better A Levels for Biology?
Reply 2
Original post by dumpling_eater
Why do you want to resit your A Level Biology? Does your current course at university have aspects of Biology in it and you don't feel like you're up-to-par? Are you looking to transfer courses and so you need a better A Levels for Biology?

I'd just like to improve my grade as I don't want it to hold me back in future
Original post by Anonymous
I'd just like to improve my grade as I don't want it to hold me back in future

Well I mean, you're in university now right? I don't see how it will hold you back in the future as you've already gotten into university.

Once you graduate university, employers will look more towards the degree classification you graduated with and your work ethic rather than your A levels.
Reply 4
Original post by dumpling_eater
Well I mean, you're in university now right? I don't see how it will hold you back in the future as you've already gotten into university.

Once you graduate university, employers will look more towards the degree classification you graduated with and your work ethic rather than your A levels.

I've heard of certain firms having minimum A level benchmarks, I'm currently doing a STEM degree and with covid-19 have a lot of free time on my hands anyways, so thought it can't be much harm if I put a bit of time into resitting. Obviously I would 100% prioritise my university work first, but I just need an improvement of B to A and if I achieve any lower than B, I can just ignore it. What do you say? Or would it just be a waste of time? I was thinking if at all possible I could try get it done during these autumn A level exams, it wouldn't really impact uni as I won't be having exams until third term
I would say go for it. You will have to find an exam centre/school that would be happy to let you sit the exams (with the exam board that you'd like) as a private candidate and you will have to pay for each paper you do. If you already did well in the practical, there's no need to resit it. You'd have to contact a school probably if you'd be able to do that. It would be a little difficult as schools usually do mock practicals for the students, which you probably won't be able to do. But if its just the papers its a bit more straight forward, you just have to contact the schools...
I resat my A Levels whilst at university also (my tutor thought I was crazy). I did improve my Chemistry grade, so was happy about that.
Reply 7
I would say go for it. You will have to find an exam centre/school that would be happy to let you sit the exams (with the exam board that you'd like) as a private candidate and you will have to pay for each paper you do. If you already did well in the practical, there's no need to resit it. You'd have to contact a school probably if you'd be able to do that. It would be a little difficult as schools usually do mock practicals for the students, which you probably won't be able to do. But if its just the papers its a bit more straight forward, you just have to contact the schools...

Would I be able to use my practical grade for my new A level grade? The papers alone would be enough to improve my grade by quite a lot but I don't mind re taking the practical - my practical skills have definitely improved, its just a case of how to go about this!
Would I be able to use my practical grade for my new A level grade? The papers alone would be enough to improve my grade by quite a lot but I don't mind re taking the practical - my practical skills have definitely improved, its just a case of how to go about this!

I'm not sure if things have changed but when I did it (2017), I was able to just resit the papers and keep my old practical grade.

I don’t think you’d be able to resit in autumn, because these exams were for A level students that were due to sit exams during summer 2020. However you could always sit them during summer 2021.
I resat my A Levels whilst at university also (my tutor thought I was crazy). I did improve my Chemistry grade, so was happy about that.

What course were you doing? Did your uni grades suffer?
What course were you doing? Did your uni grades suffer?

I was studying Natural Sciences. The A Level exams were after my university exams, so no they didn't suffer. Had to pay a lot to resit my A Levels though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending