The Student Room Group

Mandatory Face Masks......

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-face-mask-coronavirus-mandatory-rule-england-shops-a9612816.html

......shouldn't the incidence of COVID-19 be low enough now that this is pretty superfluous.......

I feel like this should have been a maximum spread decision surely?

Scroll to see replies

It's all about reducing the chances of spread as much as possible. IMO face masks are pretty unobtrusive for most people and not a big deal, so a much more reasonable step to take to try and contain coronavirus than movement restrictions or forcibly closing businesses.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
It's all about reducing the chances of spread as much as possible. IMO face masks are pretty unobtrusive for most people and not a big deal, so a much more reasonable step to take to try and contain coronavirus than movement restrictions or forcibly closing businesses.

Just a really late step at this point...not really grounded in reason....no spike so far. But your right it does reduce transmission, what i'm saying is it should have been part of the unlock strategy from the beginning and now seems intrusive and poorly planned, as most government action does. Sort of like oh, Holyrod did it....we had better get on it!
Should have been implemented sooner.

I know that the evidence that masks protect others is mixed, but if we are going to shut down our economy for three months, asking people to wear face coverings during that period is a bit of a no-brainer.
(edited 3 years ago)
Should have started in March in places such as shops. If it continues into the autumn and winter, it may prevent the spread of colds and other infections and give the NHS a bit of a break.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Just a really late step at this point...not really grounded in reason....no spike so far.

The whole of the government's record so far has been about doing things too late. Could you not say that now order has more or less resumed, this is a preventative way of going back to the dark days?
I see Conservative Party members are cutting up their membership cards over masks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-activists-membership-cards-mandatory-face-mask-a9617866.html

Precious little things.
Original post by barnetlad
Should have started in March in places such as shops. If it continues into the autumn and winter, it may prevent the spread of colds and other infections and give the NHS a bit of a break.

I think the issue here was the mass shortage of masks there were and they were only available for those in hospitals. I mean sure people could have made their own ones but I think common sense is really lacking.
I do still believe that this is a bit late but it’s better than never I guess.
Original post by Kitten in boots
I see Conservative Party members are cutting up their membership cards over masks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-activists-membership-cards-mandatory-face-mask-a9617866.html

Precious little things.

Conservative Party members should be banned from going anywhere and made to remain indoors for the period until there is a vaccine. Banned from driving or travelling abroad for a long period. Their decision to vote in Boris Johnson has led to thousands of more deaths than would have been the case if they had voted in another candidate. .

Wearing a scarf around their mouth and nose or an alternative face covering is a small inconvenience compared with the suffering that their decision helped to create.
Original post by DriftersBuddy
I think the issue here was the mass shortage of masks there were and they were only available for those in hospitals. I mean sure people could have made their own ones but I think common sense is really lacking.
I do still believe that this is a bit late but it’s better than never I guess.

Most people have scarves, or snoods, which could have been used.
Most people have scarves, or snoods, which could have been used.

This is a good point, I did use my WH scarf as a makeshift mask pre lockdown when I travelled to and from uni, as well as anywhere else. But this goes back to my point of people having common sense which clearly some don’t have or else we wouldn’t really be in the position that we are in right now. Insufficient gov messages did play a part but after what had been happening in Italy people should have started to realised that this thing is actually real.
If it is enforced the same way it's been enforced on public transport there's literally no point. Suddenly half the population has developed asthma it seems, and many teenagers just don't bother. An utter shambles. The police don't have the numbers to enforce it as they're too busy taking the knee.

Makes me laugh, in countries like Japan where mask wearing is commonplace they seem to have absolutely no issues with enforcement. You cannot tell me they don't have asthmatics, yet frequently pictures show close to 100% compliance. This won't work, our people are too entitled.
Original post by imlikeahermit
If it is enforced the same way it's been enforced on public transport there's literally no point. Suddenly half the population has developed asthma it seems, and many teenagers just don't bother. An utter shambles. The police don't have the numbers to enforce it as they're too busy taking the knee.

Makes me laugh, in countries like Japan where mask wearing is commonplace they seem to have absolutely no issues with enforcement. You cannot tell me they don't have asthmatics, yet frequently pictures show close to 100% compliance. This won't work, our people are too entitled.

I wore once recently in the city centre... Because nottingham has a quite compact one and i needed socks... I felt judged ngl. 😂
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I wore once recently in the city centre... Because nottingham has a quite compact one and i needed socks... I felt judged ngl. 😂

Same, I wear one whenever I go out grocery shopping or whatever, or in the morning travelling to work, yet I find myself wondering why because no-one else is protecting me.

They do not inhibit oxygen intake, they protect you and others. There is a reason why our numbers are so high, no government could have prevented this. Put simply, our people are too stupid.
Original post by imlikeahermit

The police have insufficient numbers, because in London the numbers were reduced by Boris Johnson. The Home Secretary has spent more time on new migration proposals than engaging with the police and courts to enforce what limited restrictions there have been. The restrictions have at times been so vague and so strange that it does not make the police's job an easy one.

Contrast with the Italian approach or the Spanish one in March and April.
I don't see what's the issue.

In Poland we're asked to wear them in closed spaces like shops, and to keeps ditances.
Hardly ever people don't listen to this reccomendation, and it's not really a big problem to obey it.
Conservative Party members should be banned from going anywhere and made to remain indoors for the period until there is a vaccine. Banned from driving or travelling abroad for a long period. Their decision to vote in Boris Johnson has led to thousands of more deaths than would have been the case if they had voted in another candidate. .

Wearing a scarf around their mouth and nose or an alternative face covering is a small inconvenience compared with the suffering that their decision helped to create.

Welcome Tyrant, welcome.
Original post by PTMalewski
I don't see what's the issue.

In Poland we're asked to wear them in closed spaces like shops, and to keeps ditances.
Hardly ever people don't listen to this reccomendation, and it's not really a big problem to obey it.

I wish others felt the same. It sometimes seems that common sense struggles to cross the channel.
I wish others felt the same. It sometimes seems that common sense struggles to cross the channel.

Excess freedom like my other nation America... 😂
Not quite as bad... But ya know. 😂
The police have insufficient numbers, because in London the numbers were reduced by Boris Johnson. The Home Secretary has spent more time on new migration proposals than engaging with the police and courts to enforce what limited restrictions there have been. The restrictions have at times been so vague and so strange that it does not make the police's job an easy one.

Contrast with the Italian approach or the Spanish one in March and April.

I'm not denying that they have insufficient numbers, however they also don't help themselves. Putting section orders in place to facilitate the breaking of the law, dancing around, taking the knee. Is this a police force that you honestly respect? The whole justice system needs an overhaul to include more space in prisons, and more officers to enforce the law. I would also agree that the guidelines have been vague, because this government is not strong. It is so afraid of upsetting anyone that it's not doing its job. I had high hopes for Priti Patel when she was first appointed, but those have been quickly dashed. The priority at the moment should not be a vanity migration proposal. The priority should be saving lives through whatever means possible.

Say for example the latest thing coming from the governments own advice is that you don't have to wear a mask if you're finding it a bit 'distressing.' I mean, for ****s sake. Just get a mask on, most of the time it's going to be for less than 10-20 minutes at a time, this is absolutely ridiculous. But yet again, the government doesn't have the backbone to stand up to this woke snowflake population.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending