The Student Room Group

Jacqueline Wilson Book Discussion

For some reason almost every girl has had a Jacqueline Wilson obsession in their childhood, I know I definitely did! This is just a thread where we can discuss her books and her characters and their chaotic lives. I wouldn't say this is necessarily all just criticism of her books - I think they have merit in that they did bring up some quite serious and relevant issues and managed to do that in children's books. Any criticism I am making is really just in a joking way and you can post on here regardless of whether you like her books or not.

My thoughts on her books are that they were interesting and did engage me when I was younger. They were full of drama (I can't speak on whether they portrayed issues sensitively or not because I don't know) and I kept wanting to read more and more. However, I will say that they were quite formulaic. Some of the characters and plots were very similar. I know she did write over 100 books so it's probably inevitable but it did get to a point for me where I realised that a lot of her books recycled bits from earlier stories.

So, what do you think about her books? Are there any books or characters or moments that you particularly remember?

Scroll to see replies

I remember I used to go to my library in school and pick a new Jaqueline Wilson book to read. I promised myself I would read every book in that library and I think I actually did!

That was about 7-8 years ago so I don’t really remember reading them and what they were about.
even now i will still get excited if i see a book of hers that i haven't read and i'll take it home from the library with me.

i'll take a photo and attach it of my collection tomorrow morning. :yep:

(someone please tag me!)
have u read clover
and @yzanne :tongue:
Original post by luna wolf 12
have u read clover
and @yzanne :tongue:

remind me tomorrow :wink:
Original post by yzanne
remind me tomorrow :wink:

k :tongue:
I loved her books when I was young.
you forgot to tag me! but i remembered anyways :tongue: @luna wolf 12 @Melirose

i only picked up lily alone from a mini library last week (one of those street library boxes?) and read it instantly in a couple of hours!

as you can tell, my books have gone through the wars from reading them so much :redface:

IMG_5731-15-07-20-12-59.JPG
Original post by yzanne
you forgot to tag me! but i remembered anyways :tongue: @luna wolf 12 @Melirose

i only picked up lily alone from a mini library last week (one of those street library boxes?) and read it instantly in a couple of hours!

as you can tell, my books have gone through the wars from reading them so much :redface:

IMG_5731-15-07-20-12-59.JPG

i love all of those!
i was so obsessed when i was younger
my favourite series was the one with Ellie, nadine and magda
Original post by rxyaltyx
i love all of those!
i was so obsessed when i was younger
my favourite series was the one with Ellie, nadine and magda

yesss! girls in ___? like girls in love? i think that was the only one i ever read.

i'd love to get cookie and the boarding school sister one.
Original post by yzanne
yesss! girls in ___? like girls in love? i think that was the only one i ever read.

is the boarding school sister one "my sister jodie" by any chance :wink:

these books were my childhood :heart:
Original post by yzanne

yes girls out late, girls in love, girls in tears, etc i loved them all :smile:
i really liked illustrated mum and the Hetty feather series
Original post by stereotypeasian

yesss that one.

i liked the girls nadine etc books but don't own them.

i used to own the story of tracy beaker but lost it!!
Original post by stereotypeasian

i read that one too - the ending was so sad
did you read lola rose btw?
I READ ALL THE BOOK OF JACQUELINE WILSONS IN A MONTH. I LOVE READING IT. i cried when i read sister Jodie as she fell from the tower and passed away
Original post by Agrata123
I READ ALL THE BOOK OF JACQUELINE WILSONS IN A MONTH. I LOVE READING IT. i cried when i read sister Jodie as she fell from the tower and passed away

ikr it was so sadddd
lola rose was emotional too, i cried when her mum got cancer
i read that one too - the ending was so sad
did you read lola rose btw?

Lola rose i really love that book, have u read girls night, midnight, wave a goodbye, home alone, diamond girls,hetty feather series, illustrated mum etc...
It really really fun when i read those books.
Lola rose i really love that book, have u read girls night, midnight, wave a goodbye, home alone, diamond girls,hetty feather series, illustrated mum etc...
It really really fun when i read those books.

yh i read them all 😂
i had every single book
ikr it was so sadddd
lola rose was emotional too, i cried when her mum got cancer

me too, but i already knew how cancer may affect people as i had cancer when i was young
me too, but i already knew how cancer may affect people as i had cancer when i was young

:frown: im sorry, are you ok now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending