The Student Room Group

“Glamour“ muscles (arms etc)

would it be possible for me to just train my shoulders, arms, traps, chest and abs?

i know this sounds very dumb etc trust me.
i’ll be honest, i’m sick of my skinny arms and weak chest and the fact i can see my shoulder bones a bit.

currently i’m doing full body workouts 3x a week to gain weight and it’s taking so long to see any results.

can i just stick to the so called glamour muscles and abandon legs (ik i’m skipping leg day) and instead work on the stuff that essentially looks good i photos?

what are the disadvantages or advantages of just working out the upper body?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tetris179
would it be possible for me to just train my shoulders, arms, traps, chest and abs?

i’ll be honest, i’m sick of my skinny arms and weak chest and the fact i can see my shoulder bones a bit.

currently i’m doing full body workouts 3x a week to gain weight and it’s taking so long to see any results.

can i just stick to the so called glamour muscles and abandon legs (ik i’m skipping leg day) and instead work on the stuff that essentially looks good i photos?

What's your height and weight?
Reply 2
Original post by Kk1999
What's your height and weight?

65kg 3 weeks ago. up to 67 now. 6 foot
65kg 3 weeks ago. up to 67 now. 6 foot

keep going.. you're doing well
U need a whole muscular body to look good, 'glamour' muscles just pop out more. If you achieve what you want to achieve by skipping leg day, you will be made fun of. Also how are you skipping leg day with full body workouts?
l was born with very good genes l have very broad shoulders/ short fair hair / very bright blue eyes / young woman always look at me ones/ twice/ trice / then they end up having a panic attack not my blame that l have very good looks and l have never been in a gym in my whole life lol
You can do this yes, although it can bring you certain disadvantages. From experience the less your legs develop with the rest of the body you can start developing back pain as your glutes are very high in importance to a strong healthy physique.
Reply 7
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
U need a whole muscular body to look good, 'glamour' muscles just pop out more. If you achieve what you want to achieve by skipping leg day, you will be made fun of. Also how are you skipping leg day with full body workouts?

im not skipping leg day?
im not skipping leg day?

How are you gonna skip leg day*?
Reply 9
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
How are you gonna skip leg day*?

i wont be doing exercises that work the legs.
Well yeah it would be possible. You’re not gonna die if you only train upper body.

I would discourage it though. You’ll regret it down the line when you get tired of being made fun of and have to play catch up with legs for years. It’ll also help you avoid injuries and injury prevention is key to long term gainzzz.

There’s really no reason why you should skip legs tbh, you can incorporate legs and still get 100% of the arm bro gains you would’ve got if you’d skipped them. Your upper body will only grow so fast, there’s a limit. Spending more and more time blasting it won’t make it grow any quicker beyond a certain point. So hit some legs while upper recovers.

Or just do deadlifts so you think you’re training upper but a hint of legs sneaks in under the radar
i wont be doing exercises that work the legs.

Will it really hurt that much to do those extra sets for legs on days that you are already going to gym?

Hey,

There’s very clearly a lot of middle ground between doing a fully body 3 times per week routine, and only working out some specific upper body muscles.

How about switching to Push-Pull-off-Legs-Arms-off for example? I think you’ll really see a difference in how the session feels.

Can you list your typical full body routine, perhaps we could even just move some things around slightly or add a bit more targeted volume?
Reply 13
Original post by Gone Revising II
Hey,

There’s very clearly a lot of middle ground between doing a fully body 3 times per week routine, and only working out some specific upper body muscles.

How about switching to Push-Pull-off-Legs-Arms-off for example? I think you’ll really see a difference in how the session feels.

Can you list your typical full body routine, perhaps we could even just move some things around slightly or add a bit more targeted volume?

ok please bear in mind i have no idea what i’m doing 😬. i’d appreciate any help:
deadlifts 4x10
underhand barbell row 4x8
overhead press 3x8
front squats 2x7

goblet squats 4x9
bicep curls 3x9
barbell curls 3x5
dumbbell rows 3x12
tricep extension 3x8
side + front raises 2x8
dumbbell over head press 3x8
dumbbell over head forward variation 3x8
dumbbell face pull 3x8
arnold press 3x8
dumbbell shrugs 2x12

glute bridges 3x7
press ups 3x5
deficit press ups 3x5
tricep dips 2x10
incline press ups 3x5

farmer carry
plank 3x1
side plank 2x1
sit ups 3x15

chin ups...

it wasn’t like this when i started. i gradually brought some up or down in terms of reps and sets depending on how easy i was finding them. eg deadlifts used to be 3x8 but i wasn’t feeling anything so i increased it.
i know there’s probably a lot wrong woth this so :smile:
ok please bear in mind i have no idea what i’m doing 😬. i’d appreciate any help:
deadlifts 4x10
overhead press 3x8
front squats 2x7

goblet squats 4x9
bicep curls 3x9
barbell curls 3x5
dumbbell rows 3x12
tricep extension 3x8
side + front raises 2x8
dumbbell face pull 3x8
arnold press 3x8
dumbbell shrugs 2x12

glute bridges 3x7
press ups 3x5
deficit press ups 3x5
tricep dips 2x10
incline press ups 3x5

farmer carry
plank 3x1
side plank 2x1
sit ups 3x15

chin ups...

it wasn’t like this when i started. i gradually brought some up or down in terms of reps and sets depending on how easy i was finding them. eg deadlifts used to be 3x8 but i wasn’t feeling anything so i increased it.

What is the progression protocol?
ok

Just to check, how does this split into the three sessions? The top paragraph is session one, middle is two, then everything else is three?
Reply 16

firstly if your goal is hypertrophy instead of strength , then maybe .
If I were you I would train individual muscle groups 2x a week and avoid excessive cardio is this will minimise gains and only improve your cardio vascular health . Remain consistent with tracking and recording training , because if you want to focus on hypertrophy and gains you need to be progressively overloading your muscles ( adding weight to bar ). As well as this try to incorporate eccentric overload ( tempo of rep ) plus Also incorporate a mix of metabolic training ( lighter weight and pushing through the burn ) .
Also nutrition and quantity of good nutrition is keyyyy !
Eat a caloric surplus ( eat more than you put out )
And remain well hydrated
Reply 17

When training abs short intense workouts of 5-10 minutes are 👌 any longer and it means that the intensity just isn’t there
(edited 3 years ago)
deadlifts 4x10
overhead press 3x8
front squats 2x7

goblet squats 4x9
bicep curls 3x9
barbell curls 3x5
dumbbell rows 3x12
tricep extension 3x8
side + front raises 2x8
dumbbell face pull 3x8
arnold press 3x8
dumbbell shrugs 2x12

glute bridges 3x7
press ups 3x5
deficit press ups 3x5
tricep dips 2x10
incline press ups 3x5

farmer carry
plank 3x1
side plank 2x1
sit ups 3x15

chin ups...

Sorry, but this is an awful workout that I'm assuming you created yourself. Rule #1: NEVER put together your own workout as a beginner when you don't know what you're doing, you end up with something like this that's completely imbalanced, poor push-pull balance etc.

Try this maybe https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194
and FFS don't skip legs, you'll regret it in the long run, if this is something you keep up in the long run.
Reply 19
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Sorry, but this is an awful workout that I'm assuming you created yourself. Rule #1: NEVER put together your own workout as a beginner when you don't know what you're doing, you end up with something like this that's completely imbalanced, poor push-pull balance etc.

Try this maybe https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194
and FFS don't skip legs, you'll regret it in the long run, if this is something you keep up in the long run.

how do you think i should make up for the workouts that require a bench and the leg preses etc?
I really don't have the funds to go to gym at this point in time and i don't have a bench at home, only dumbbells and barbell.

Quick Reply

Latest