The Student Room Group

S6 chat thread 2020/21

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I am looking to study Scots Law also and am in the same boat as you; having no physical work experience. It is really frustrating me lol. I was wondering where you found the virtual career exploration as I have been pretty unlucky in the work experience department physical and virtual.
Original post by rosiebaxter2003
Hey, I am looking to study Scots Law also and am in the same boat as you; having no physical work experience. It is really frustrating me lol. I was wondering where you found the virtual career exploration as I have been pretty unlucky in the work experience department physical and virtual.

Well I did some on this website InsideSherpa which was quite good. There's also some free online courses you can do (usually it costs a fair bit to pay for the certificate but I just didn't get that because you can do the actual courses for free).
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey guys, do you know anybody who was a depute house captain or a house captain? As I want to know what they did.
Original post by Kubsyy
Hey guys, do you know anybody who was a depute house captain or a house captain? As I want to know what they did.

In my school, they seemed to be part of the senior leadership group and took part in assemblies sometimes. Not sure what they do exactly though:dontknow:
Original post by pineapplepink
It would be so funny if we ended up going to the same uni :tongue:

Honestly, I would really like it if we only had to be in school for actual 'teaching time' and then we could spend the rest of the time at home. I like choosing when and how I do schoolwork anyway, so that would suit me down to the ground. And I like studying at my own desk rather than at school lol. Oh and it would be so great like you said if you could just come in at select times and sleep in later- more like uni (so looking forward to that). Ideally I would like to become a lawyer yeah. I think that would be quite exciting :smile:

Your persuasive sounded so good! It is a shame that the SQA never took the folios in the end considering we did so much work on them...
So far, AH English has been quite different from Higher. We don't do RUAE anymore for a start! It's also quite heavily focused on analysing literature (rather than like a film or something). We still do persuasive essays etc for the folio (although we haven't started that yet) and then obviously we do a dissertation. That does mean that I have 3 dissertation-type pieces of work to do this year though! How are you finding crashing Modern Studies?

I like choosing when to do my work too, but that causes me to leave all my work until the very last minute! :colondollar: I find it the same sort of difficulty working at school and at home, as at school I can't hear myself think over the sound of other people, whereas at home my phone distracts me. The uni lifestyle just sounds so much better! haha

Thank you!! I know, all that stressing over a topic for nothing! :frown: Aw no, RUAE was the only thing I was actually good at haha. I've never been good at analysing poetry and stories, how about you? :smile: Do you know what you are going to do your persuasive on? Also what is the dissertation about?

At the start I didn't really like Modern Studies because there's just so much writing, which is why I dropped it after S3. However, I've come to discover that I'm actually pretty good at it, and I really enjoy watching the documentaries! We've watched 3 so far and we've done one 20 mark essay on "Evaluate how far the UK is experiencing a Poverty Crisis". How are you finding all your Advanced Highers?
I don’t like RUAE and I’m angry that I will have to deal with it again.
Original post by Kubsyy
I don’t like RUAE and I’m angry that I will have to deal with it again.

it's only one part of the exam though so it's not too bad! which bit do you prefer?
it's only one part of the exam though so it's not too bad! which bit do you prefer?

I prefer doing the critical essay and scottish text 😁
ahahahahah yeah exactly! I'm just kind of over school at this point lol

I'm the same actually- I was always good at RUAE and I liked it too but it's no longer a part of it unfortunately. I feel like AH English is more for people who are interested in studying English Literature and stuff like that because it's so focused on analysing fiction etc but I just took it because I figured it would be useful to me and I didn't really feel like crashing anything lol. The thing is with all the analysis it's like you're always supposed to be looking for some kind of hidden meaning or symbolism or something which I just don't get. :lol: So the dissertation is where you choose a couple of pieces of literature (think most people are looking at novels but you can also choose plays and poems I think) and compare them, so that was like how you said some people you know are doing Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. Anyway, that's basically all that we looked at before the holiday (we were supposed to be doing research for our dissertation although I haven't chosen my books yet) so we haven't started looking at out folios yet. I don't know what I'll do this persuasive on!! It was hard enough deciding on the last two lol.
I am enjoying my AHs though. I've always really liked Geography and I find it quite easy so that's good, and then I'm finding French quite a bit more difficult than last year but I still like it.
That's good you like Mods. I have heard there's loads of writing in it, in the exam especially. I did always find it quite interesting in 3rd year but I picked Geography over it. If I was going to crash a subject this year it probably would have been mods but I just couldn't be bothered tbh. Do you like the rest of your subjects?

My English teacher recommended me Advanced Higher but I'm just awful at trying to figure out the writer's secret meanings. I mean if something is that important to the story then why not just say it! :laugh: That's the problem with the persuasive's, you don't want it to be too popular but you want it to be relevant enough! :tongue: Did your English class do any online calls? and is everyone in your class reading the same books? What have you done so far in French? Before the summer me and my teacher had calls every Wednesday to discuss the book that I'm reading. My friend did try and convince me to crash Higher Geography with her this year but I've not done it since it was compulsory in S1&2. I was actually going to take Nat 5 Modern Studies instead of Higher but everyonen kept telling me Higher is easier and so I changed it, there also wouldn't be any point in having another Nat 5 :laugh: My other subject is Admin, the practical is very easy which is good and the theory is like the Business Management exam so I know how to answer the different types of questions, I just need to remember the answers!
Original post by SchuylerSister22
My English teacher recommended me Advanced Higher but I'm just awful at trying to figure out the writer's secret meanings. I mean if something is that important to the story then why not just say it! :laugh: That's the problem with the persuasive's, you don't want it to be too popular but you want it to be relevant enough! :tongue: Did your English class do any online calls? and is everyone in your class reading the same books? What have you done so far in French? Before the summer me and my teacher had calls every Wednesday to discuss the book that I'm reading. My friend did try and convince me to crash Higher Geography with her this year but I've not done it since it was compulsory in S1&2. I was actually going to take Nat 5 Modern Studies instead of Higher but everyonen kept telling me Higher is easier and so I changed it, there also wouldn't be any point in having another Nat 5 :laugh: My other subject is Admin, the practical is very easy which is good and the theory is like the Business Management exam so I know how to answer the different types of questions, I just need to remember the answers!

ikr? it's like 'what does the blue sky represent?'... idk, it's a nice day? It just seems a bit pointless lol. I always enjoy doing persuasive essays but only once I actually decide on a topic that I like! :lol:
No, I haven't done any online calls in any of my classes actually; my teachers just set work on the google classroom with a voiceover explaining the task and then I just asked any questions via email. We did do a google hangout for french though. In English they've basically just said that we could choose any books we want for out dissertation as long as they are 'literary' (they explore ideas/themes) and they advise that we should enjoy the books we choose as we have to study them in-depth for a year.
In French so far we've done a selection of listenings and readings about employability, written answers for a couple of speaking questions and we've started work on Le Petit Prince. Which book are you studying?
It does probably looks better for you to have another Higher rather than a Nat 5 tbh since unis look for Highers: it keeps your options open :smile: Admin is probably quite a useful one to have to because of the transferable skills and stuff. That is the thing with most of the courses: you just need to memorise the content lol
Original post by Kubsyy
I prefer doing the critical essay and scottish text 😁

fair enough
what's your favourite subject?
ikr? it's like 'what does the blue sky represent?'... idk, it's a nice day? It just seems a bit pointless lol. I always enjoy doing persuasive essays but only once I actually decide on a topic that I like! :lol:
No, I haven't done any online calls in any of my classes actually; my teachers just set work on the google classroom with a voiceover explaining the task and then I just asked any questions via email. We did do a google hangout for french though. In English they've basically just said that we could choose any books we want for out dissertation as long as they are 'literary' (they explore ideas/themes) and they advise that we should enjoy the books we choose as we have to study them in-depth for a year.
In French so far we've done a selection of listenings and readings about employability, written answers for a couple of speaking questions and we've started work on Le Petit Prince. Which book are you studying?
It does probably looks better for you to have another Higher rather than a Nat 5 tbh since unis look for Highers: it keeps your options open :smile: Admin is probably quite a useful one to have to because of the transferable skills and stuff. That is the thing with most of the courses: you just need to memorise the content lol

Oh god, in Higher English last year my teacher would type up questions on the board about the poem/movie or Jekyll and Hyde, get us to write down what we thought was the answer and then she would always ask me (not anyone else!) to come up and type in my answer and then she'd ask the class if they agreed. I mean they would always say yes because it would be rude not to but then one really smart snobby person would say it's wrong and then I'd be humiliated. My teacher was constantly saying "not quite" to all of my answers :cry:

That's what we did for Modern Studies too, I actually like that way of teaching a lot because you can pause and re-play what they've said. For Admin we'd have a call at 10am every friday to do a Kahoot and everyone was so tired and couldn't be bothered, but then the teacher went on Maternity Leave and our new teacher couldn't be bothered either :lol:

I'm studying No et Moi, which is about a homeless girl called No who is 18 and she makes friends with a 13 year old, who invites her to stay at her house. I have until we go back to school to write a short paragraph about the book in french.
fair enough
what's your favourite subject?

Computing and maths. And you?
Hi!

I think this page is really cool as a means to meet other S6 pupils! I’m studying H French, H photography, AH Modern Studies and AH Spanish this year (if anyone is the same or has done any and wants to chat :smile:)

I’m not 100% sure what I would like to study at university but I’m thinking about politics, history or sociology but either way it will be with Spanish lol. I also thought about law, but after a while I decided I’m not sure I would be suited for it.
Original post by SchuylerSister22
Oh god, in Higher English last year my teacher would type up questions on the board about the poem/movie or Jekyll and Hyde, get us to write down what we thought was the answer and then she would always ask me (not anyone else!) to come up and type in my answer and then she'd ask the class if they agreed. I mean they would always say yes because it would be rude not to but then one really smart snobby person would say it's wrong and then I'd be humiliated. My teacher was constantly saying "not quite" to all of my answers :cry:

That's what we did for Modern Studies too, I actually like that way of teaching a lot because you can pause and re-play what they've said. For Admin we'd have a call at 10am every friday to do a Kahoot and everyone was so tired and couldn't be bothered, but then the teacher went on Maternity Leave and our new teacher couldn't be bothered either :lol:

I'm studying No et Moi, which is about a homeless girl called No who is 18 and she makes friends with a 13 year old, who invites her to stay at her house. I have until we go back to school to write a short paragraph about the book in french.

Omg that is so mean! I hate being picked on like that and it's just the worst when that one person tries to correct you- it's so condescending!!

Yeah I agree- the voiceover is good because like you said you can pause when you need to or go back (which you can't do in class:lol:). Also that way the teacher is actually explaining what you have to do rather than you having to work it out lol. Honestly I could not have been bothered to do the Kahoot either lol- just seems like a lot of effort lol. In Geography my teachers would put up some fun quiz or something every Friday which I never did as thankfully it was optional!

That book sounds interesting: did your teacher give you options? We're the same actually- before the holiday we were just to write up a para about the author of the book. I was getting loads of work for French though: much more than my other classes. Which subject did you get the most from? :smile:
Original post by Kubsyy
Computing and maths. And you?

Think my favourite is geo but I do like all my subjects this year which is good!
Original post by emmajane037
Hi!

I think this page is really cool as a means to meet other S6 pupils! I’m studying H French, H photography, AH Modern Studies and AH Spanish this year (if anyone is the same or has done any and wants to chat :smile:)

I’m not 100% sure what I would like to study at university but I’m thinking about politics, history or sociology but either way it will be with Spanish lol. I also thought about law, but after a while I decided I’m not sure I would be suited for it.

yeah I think it's nice to chat to people who are in the same stage as you.
So I guess you like languages then! One of my friends wanted me to take Higher Spanish with her but I ended up just taking the subjects I've already done.
Those degrees sound interesting: do you know roughly what you want to do as a job?
yeah I think it's nice to chat to people who are in the same stage as you.
So I guess you like languages then! One of my friends wanted me to take Higher Spanish with her but I ended up just taking the subjects I've already done.
Those degrees sound interesting: do you know roughly what you want to do as a job?

I agree!

I normally do the same and stick to what I know, so I understand not taking it. Although for me personally I view Spanish as quite an easy language to pick up so I recommend it to people over French if they want to have a language, it is a lot of fun also!

Ah it’s a long story ahaha but if I do history or sociology I think I would go into teaching and also do translating and interpreting at the side or if I choose politics I’m thinking about going down the international relations path ahah. How about yourself?
Original post by emmajane037
Hi!

Hi! :tongue: How are you getting on with all of your subjects! Also have you got any Higher Modern Studies tips?
Omg that is so mean! I hate being picked on like that and it's just the worst when that one person tries to correct you- it's so condescending!!

Yeah I agree- the voiceover is good because like you said you can pause when you need to or go back (which you can't do in class:lol:). Also that way the teacher is actually explaining what you have to do rather than you having to work it out lol. Honestly I could not have been bothered to do the Kahoot either lol- just seems like a lot of effort lol. In Geography my teachers would put up some fun quiz or something every Friday which I never did as thankfully it was optional!

That book sounds interesting: did your teacher give you options? We're the same actually- before the holiday we were just to write up a para about the author of the book. I was getting loads of work for French though: much more than my other classes. Which subject did you get the most from? :smile:

I wish there was a way to implement voice over lessons to classes more often. Teachers are always telling me things and I forget like 5 minutes later what they said :laugh: There's a boy who is blind in the year below and he records all his lessons, which I find so cool!!

I got to choose between No et Moi and Le Petit Prince. Both of the books have movies so I watched the trailer for the two of them and decided that if I was going to have to watch one of them on repeat it would be No et Moi. I could tell that Le Petit Prince was going to be easier to study but it felt more childish compared to No et Moi which is more teens/ young adult. Only one person took AH last year as well and she also chose No et Moi, so I'm borrowing the books from her and I was hoping to maybe be able to talk to her about it but the only time I've ever spoken to her was to thank her for the books :laugh:

I think either Modern Studies or Admin. For French I got work every Wednesday and I was to just read my book, Modern Studies was every Tuesday and Admin was every Monday and Tuesday. So Admin gave work more frequently- twice a week, however Modern Studies although I had a week to complete it the tasks involved much more effort- like watching documentaries, researching and writing my essay. I've barely done anything for French, which is a surprise because it's the only Advanced Higher! :biggrin:

What have you done in Geography so far? And what subject have you been enjoying the most?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending