The Student Room Group

Deleting social media

So it’s the third day of me uninstalling my social media apps. So far, it feels quite good. Have
you guys benefitted from having no social media? If so, how did you detach yourself from it etc...?

It’s bad that i’m lowkey counting down the days until I can re-install... (11 days)

Scroll to see replies

i’ve had weeks before where i’ve just switched off and not been on social media, not currently on one, but i’ve done it perhaps 7 times if not more before. for me, i found it quite easy. sometimes i’d tell people in advance i was doing it, so if i didn’t reply to them, don’t be disheartened by it, i just simply wasn’t there. other times i didn’t. depended on why i was doing it. yeah, i find it quite easy to break from it, i just spend my time doing more worthwhile things, and being productive.
Reply 2
Original post by ella’s words
i’ve had weeks before where i’ve just switched off and not been on social media, not currently on one, but i’ve done it perhaps 7 times if not more before. for me, i found it quite easy. sometimes i’d tell people in advance i was doing it, so if i didn’t reply to them, don’t be disheartened by it, i just simply wasn’t there. other times i didn’t. depended on why i was doing it. yeah, i find it quite easy to break from it, i just spend my time doing more worthwhile things, and being productive.

As immature as it sounds, I get many insta requests and I kinda feel bad that I can't like accept them etc. But also, I feel like I'm missing out on seeing certain ppl's stories etc...guess it's a step at a time to being unbothered. Do you talk to a lot of people?
All I have social media-wise is Youtube and TSR. Social media is a pretty toxic environment in my opinion so I've kept my use and presence on it to a minimum.
Original post by s.hazard
As immature as it sounds, I get many insta requests and I kinda feel bad that I can't like accept them etc. But also, I feel like I'm missing out on seeing certain ppl's stories etc...guess it's a step at a time to being unbothered. Do you talk to a lot of people?

no, it’s completely understandable! a bit like you feel as though these people are depending on you being there :yep:

i suppose the best approach would probably be to distance yourself whilst on social media if this is something your thinking of frequently doing. i get you. i used to watch everyone’s story but bit by bit i reduced it. i only watch the stories of my friends or people who interest me. with friend requests, the chances are the people that have requested you will have forgotten they did so - i certainly do! perhaps you could arrange a time each week, for example friday 5pm, where you go through them all rather than feel obliged to do it as soon as they come through. it’s the little steps that, in the end, will make a big difference

not particularly, i only have a small group of friends and besides 2 of them, they’re all rather bad at replying to messages and so on. like, if i want to talk to them, i have to initiate the conversation and even then, when we’re talking their replies are always short ‘yes’ ‘no’ ‘idk’ ‘cool’ etc. so it can be rather awkward when i do communicate with them, which is a shame.
I suppose if you talk to your friends on whatsapp, etc then it is easier to avoid other social media such as instagram, snapchat
Reply 6
i never really had social media. facebook for a bit, but only to keep in contact when i moved to the other side of the world. never heard of someone who didn't have a love/hate relationship with it and i don't like how it's a showcase for everyone's insecurities and desperate need for approval. i fully support unplugging from that. imho the bad outweighs the good.
Reply 7
Original post by Hoodlum123
All I have social media-wise is Youtube and TSR. Social media is a pretty toxic environment in my opinion so I've kept my use and presence on it to a minimum.

omg how do you do that! how do you interact with your friends?
Reply 8
Original post by ella’s words
no, it’s completely understandable! a bit like you feel as though these people are depending on you being there :yep:

i suppose the best approach would probably be to distance yourself whilst on social media if this is something your thinking of frequently doing. i get you. i used to watch everyone’s story but bit by bit i reduced it. i only watch the stories of my friends or people who interest me. with friend requests, the chances are the people that have requested you will have forgotten they did so - i certainly do! perhaps you could arrange a time each week, for example friday 5pm, where you go through them all rather than feel obliged to do it as soon as they come through. it’s the little steps that, in the end, will make a big difference

not particularly, i only have a small group of friends and besides 2 of them, they’re all rather bad at replying to messages and so on. like, if i want to talk to them, i have to initiate the conversation and even then, when we’re talking their replies are always short ‘yes’ ‘no’ ‘idk’ ‘cool’ etc. so it can be rather awkward when i do communicate with them, which is a shame.

I completely understand that, so many of my friendships would have died out if I stopped initiating conversations. I guess it's much harder to not think about it and feel bored when you have nothing else to do really. Yeah, I reckon I'd be on it less once I get back on it!
Keep yourself busy/occupied and you won't have to think about replying! I am currently only speaking to one of my friends on WhatsApp ahah, the rest aren't bothered if we speak or not lol.
Reply 9
see the thing with this is, only my best friend will speak to me on any app and everyday! the other "friends" just talk on snapchat and insta etc... I do get bored just speaking to one person, but I am gonna have to get used to it. Besides who even uses WhatsApp nowadays:tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Joleee
i never really had social media. facebook for a bit, but only to keep in contact when i moved to the other side of the world. never heard of someone who didn't have a love/hate relationship with it and i don't like how it's a showcase for everyone's insecurities and desperate need for approval. i fully support unplugging from that. imho the bad outweighs the good.

yeah you're so right - it is so toxic, it affects my mental health but then knowing I have conversations with people and that people 'like' me makes me feel slightly better. Imagine having to rely on people to validate your self-worth - TOXICCC
I stopped using social media to focus on my a level exams and after that 2 years later I still don’t use it at all. The best decision I made.
I've done in before since social media can be quite overwhelming and toxic. I was always on social media before and there's a lot of negative stuff you can see online and it didn't help me at all with what I was going through that time so I decided to delete it, it was just a source of "entertainment" after all. When I install it, I make sure I unfollow and unfriend people/pages who always post negative stuff online.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
I stopped using social media to focus on my a level exams and after that 2 years later I still don’t use it at all. The best decision I made.

how do you keep yourself detached from it? my social life would die down even more if I do that :frown:
So it’s the third day of me uninstalling my social media apps. So far, it feels quite good. Have
you guys benefitted from having no social media? If so, how did you detach yourself from it etc...?

It’s bad that i’m lowkey counting down the days until I can re-install... (11 days)

Honestly, social media is so unnecessarily time-consuming. I haven't been on social media for almost two years now.
While being on social media I felt social pressures and this gave me anxiety. It breeds the image-based society we are, and how we want to be perceived by others which is what Capitalism wants.

Most of the time you're on the platform to consume other people's lives, what other people are doing, whether this is people you know, people you don't know, or celebrities. When you delete social media you not only relieve the social pressures, but you also become more selective about how you spread out your time.

Social media is destructive unless you're the one pushing your agenda and it benefits you and your cause.
how do you keep yourself detached from it? my social life would die down even more if I do that :frown:

I think because I was so into getting good grades in my exams I didn’t recently realise that I wasn’t on it anymore and then after a levels I realised how much time I used to waste on it. It was toxic. What I do a lot is read and watch tv shows and movies and my friends I have on WhatsApp so I don’t ever feel like I’m missing out on anything. It was good for my mental health.
Reply 16
Original post by bigrocks
Honestly, social media is so unnecessarily time-consuming. I haven't been on social media for almost two years now.
While being on social media I felt social pressures and this gave me anxiety. It breeds the image-based society we are, and how we want to be perceived by others which is what Capitalism wants.

Most of the time you're on the platform to consume other people's lives, what other people are doing, whether this is people you know, people you don't know, or celebrities. When you delete social media you not only relieve the social pressures, but you also become more selective about how you spread out your time.

Social media is destructive unless you're the one pushing your agenda and it benefits you and your cause.

Very, very true! We all compare every inch of ourselves to others. For so long, I've felt the need to 'prove' to others that I have friends or have a life by posting stuff on my social medias - very toxic. I'm thinking of setting up a study gram or something, using social media in a good way if that makes sense, so I am still on It but like not heavily invested into social pressures.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
I think because I was so into getting good grades in my exams I didn’t recently realise that I wasn’t on it anymore and then after a levels I realised how much time I used to waste on it. It was toxic. What I do a lot is read and watch tv shows and movies and my friends I have on WhatsApp so I don’t ever feel like I’m missing out on anything. It was good for my mental health.

that's good! are you at uni now? :smile:

I deleted my twitter for good. I also deleted my facebook. I am just creating a new facebook but have not added any friends yet, I really dont want to go back on as life has been so much better without facebook. I might have it just running so I can pick up messages and I plan to post maybe a few photos once a month but nothing more. It is a waste of time people can waste 2 hours a day on it and wonder why they never did anything with their life
Very, very true! We all compare every inch of ourselves to others. For so long, I've felt the need to 'prove' to others that I have friends or have a life by posting stuff on my social medias - very toxic. I'm thinking of setting up a study gram or something, using social media in a good way if that makes sense, so I am still on It but like not heavily invested into social pressures.

if you make the conscious choice to delete social media and you have your reasons for yourself, your social life will adapt. And if you're friends are rude about it then they weren't worth it. By social media I am referring mostly to Instagram and Snapchat, Twitter, Platforms like Whatsapp are harmless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending