The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi all! I’m also in year 11, going into year 12. Hoping for good gcses, mainly 7,8 and 9s.

hoping to apply to bristol, Cardiff, Manchester and haven’t decided the 4th!
I’m taking biology,chemistry, English Lang/Lit and AS maths

I’ve started A level prep and starting to read some medicine related books and trying to sort work experience for next year
Original post by Eva16578
Hi all! I’m also in year 11, going into year 12. Hoping for good gcses, mainly 7,8 and 9s.

I’ve started A level prep and starting to read some medicine related books and trying to sort work experience for next year

Hi, I mentioned it above but Cardiff is quite GCSE heavy and has still been known to reject people with all 9s. They may be more lenient with your year due to the grading system but make sure to keep checking their website to see if their selection process changes

5 A levels? Crikey!

Also as pointed out, Cardiff is really only an option with 9 9s. Manchester and Bristol should be good though, you'll need a pretty high UCAT but that's a way off yet!
I want to study in Germany. What A levels and entry requirements should I have for medicine?
Reply 44
Original post by Digybfhgjt
I want to study in Germany. What A levels and entry requirements should I have for medicine?

I believe you would need Chemistry and Biology. You also need to be next to fluent in German and you’d need to take the C1 test which tests your proficiency in German.
Original post by becausethenight
5 A levels? Crikey!

Also as pointed out, Cardiff is really only an option with 9 9s. Manchester and Bristol should be good though, you'll need a pretty high UCAT but that's a way off yet!

I’m not actually taking 5, people just always think that!😂. Maths is an AS, which I’m purely taking as I’m predicted a 9 at GCSE and my friends in year 12 struggled with the maths in chem so I’m taking it to help with that. And the English Lit/lang is actually one a level, its the combined one rather than just english lit or lang on its own.

At this point in time, i doubt I’ll apply to Cardiff as i live quite near and would rather go further away. I’m thinking of apply to Edinburgh instead.
I’m not actually taking 5, people just always think that!😂. Maths is an AS, which I’m purely taking as I’m predicted a 9 at GCSE and my friends in year 12 struggled with the maths in chem so I’m taking it to help with that. And the English Lit/lang is actually one a level, its the combined one rather than just english lit or lang on its own.

At this point in time, i doubt I’ll apply to Cardiff as i live quite near and would rather go further away. I’m thinking of apply to Edinburgh instead.

Ah ok, that makes sense :lol: I’m not sure you especially need maths AS to cope with Chem (I found Chem fine with no post-GCSE maths), but it can’t hurt if you have the time! And might boost your score for Manchester via holistic route, or QMUL if you’re thinking of there.

Edinburgh is a very tough one in terms of wanting all round excellence at GCSE, A level, PS and UCAT - you’re probably going to be aiming for all 8s and 9s and then A*A*A predictions and a 720ish UCAT. It sounds like you’re on track for the GCSE though :smile:
I'm also wanting to go into medicine- I'm in year 11 going into year 12. When should I do like online courses? Should I do them in sixth form- like next summer-2021/ summer after that-2022 or consider doing it now?
Reply 48
Hello , I've been thinking about my future and what I'd like to take at Uni and have been stuck on pathology for a while. I'm taking Biology , Chemistry and Maths at A-level and have the chance to do a hospital work placement. Im just curious if anyone has or is going through a path with the goal to pathology and how their experience is going.
Original post by sassy sausages
I'm also wanting to go into medicine- I'm in year 11 going into year 12. When should I do like online courses? Should I do them in sixth form- like next summer-2021/ summer after that-2022 or consider doing it now?

What do you mean by online courses - the online WEx, for example? Hopefully you'll be able to get in-person WEx (and have UCAT) next summer, so you might as well do them now, I think!

Other things you could do include trying to line up WEx for later, volunteering (big one!), essay competitions for Y12s (you can plan which you might do even if you can't start the essays), online MOOCs and other courses (there's a list somewhere I think), reading (shameless plug: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6491274), check out medic mentor and their scheme to support med applicants, and of course having a rest and staying sane :biggrin:
Reply 50
Yeah that is a good point ahahah I just like to think ahead into the future :colondollar: They're not but my 6th form has a program where they have close ties to the local hospital and will let the people wishing to go into medicine do work experience with them which is pretty awesome. Not sure about all the details yet
Reply 51
Yeah , I mean I'm only just going into yr 12 so the placement wouldn't be until next year so fingers crossed everything would have sorted itself out by then :rolleyes:
It's surprising how a 12 year old post holds so much relevance today..
do you have any "personal" recommendations for books which are related to NHS life/medicine as a whole? From some articles I've read, interviews tend to base the medicine interview around your further readings sometimes... So in this respect, could you perhaps drop a few titles? Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Is there any point to spending money on the services they offer? Or can the "advice" they give just be found online with some researching?
Mmm I wonder the same thing.
I'm a 2nd year medic.

Will gladly mentor anyone for free :smile:

Services like that should be a given
Every med school has some sort of peer support for free
Original post by CartoonSoldier
Every med school has some sort of peer support for free

I thought they were talking about mentoring through the whole application process...oops
Original post by justme2001
I thought they were talking about mentoring through the whole application process...oops

hahah you could be right. in that case idk. depends what level of support your school gives. I was lucky enough to go to a school where they were super familiar with the medicine application and could support me. idk what i'd do if i didnt have that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending