The Student Room Group

A/AS level results day countdown - The results day that never ended!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NE1
Forgot to ask this in my previous post but will the exam boards middling to standardise grades negatively affect disadvantaged students? Like as in those with medical conditions or that would’ve had things like extra time in their mocks and real exams? I’m just wondering as I have a visual impairment and I had double time in my mocks and I was in my classroom with an invidulator with rest breaks etc. I’m asking because I saw someone mention that people with exceptions will be disadvantaged when it comes to the exam boards standardising our grades.

School and colleges were instructed to take into account all the access arrangements which had been put in place for you. They will have based your centre assessed grades and rankings on their assessment of the grade you would have achieved had you sat your exams with all your usual arrangements in place.
Reply 61
1. AS or A level? I'm retaking one A-Level.
2. What subjects? Religious Studies.

3. What university is your firm/insurance? Oxford and Edinburgh.
4. Which subject? English. :smile:
5. What grades are required? An A in my retake for Oxford (which I missed by 1.5% last year!). My Edinburgh offer is unconditional.
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year? I have to start university in 2020 whatever happens on results day, because besides the fact that it's already a year since I took my A-Levels originally, I have EU residency status so this is my last chance to study in the UK with home fees.

7. What grades are you predicted? I am predicted an A*, but since this was predicted by my UCAS referee and not my tutor/exam centre, this will have no bearing on my result.
8. How are you feeling about results day? Very, very nervous. I'm a private candidate trying to get a grade through a school where I have never been a pupil, via an independent private tutor. I'm also the only candidate for my subject this year, but in previous years there have generally been one or two. As the school's average grade is a C, I'm worried I may be lowered unfairly and end up with a B again, even though all the essays I submitted as evidence of my level were A*s or very high As. Anyway, I can only wait and see, and as disappointed as I would be to lose my place at Oxford because of factors beyond my control, I'm lucky at least to have a lovely Insurance option.
9. Anything else to add? Best of luck, everyone!! It's the first year when we are not worrying about what we wrote in our exams, but rather how we are going to be affected by a statistical calculation that's more interested in maintaining national statistics than protecting individuals' rights and futures. It's natural that we will be anxious, but the most important thing is to enjoy our summers and remember that there will be ways to get justice if we are treated unfairly.
Original post by Gwil
1. AS or A level? I'm retaking one A-Level.
2. What subjects? Religious Studies.

3. What university is your firm/insurance? Oxford and Edinburgh.
4. Which subject? English. :smile:
5. What grades are required? An A in my retake for Oxford (which I missed by 1.5% last year!). My Edinburgh offer is unconditional.
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year? I have to start university in 2020 whatever happens on results day, because besides the fact that it's already a year since I took my A-Levels originally, I have EU residency status so this is my last chance to study in the UK with home fees.

7. What grades are you predicted? I am predicted an A*, but since this was predicted by my UCAS referee and not my tutor/exam centre, this will have no bearing on my result.
8. How are you feeling about results day? Very, very nervous. I'm a private candidate trying to get a grade through a school where I have never been a pupil, via an independent private tutor. I'm also the only candidate for my subject this year, but in previous years there have generally been one or two. As the school's average grade is a C, I'm worried I may be lowered unfairly and end up with a B again, even though all the essays I submitted as evidence of my level were A*s or very high As. Anyway, I can only wait and see, and as disappointed as I would be to lose my place at Oxford because of factors beyond my control, I'm lucky at least to have a lovely Insurance option.
9. Anything else to add? Best of luck, everyone!! It's the first year when we are not worrying about what we wrote in our exams, but rather how we are going to be affected by a statistical calculation that's more interested in maintaining national statistics than protecting individuals' rights and futures. It's natural that we will be anxious, but the most important thing is to enjoy our summers and remember that there will be ways to get justice if we are treated unfairly.

Best wishes to you, too. I hope that you get what you need to take up that Oxford place.
I just want to point out the report from the Education Committee. They have addressed basically every single concern people have about this grading system and put them to Ofqual so hopefully, they will listen.

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/1834/documents/17976/default/

The only thing I am concerned about is the cost of the Autumn exams. If students have to pay for these exams, a lot of disadvantaged students won't be able to afford them.
Reply 64
Original post by 学生の父
Best wishes to you, too. I hope that you get what you need to take up that Oxford place.

Thank you so much :smile:
Not exactly surprising, but will cause issues for those who end up sitting the Autumn exams especially if they didn't finish all of their courses.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jul/14/half-of-exam-year-uk-pupils-given-no-school-work-since-march-finds-study
1. AS or A level?
A level

2. What subjects?
Maths, Physics and Economics

For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance?
Kings College London (Firm) and Manchester University (Insurance)
4. Which subject?
BSc Physics with Philosophy
5. What grades are required?
AAB with A in Maths and Physics
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year?
This year
For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted?
A*AA
8. How are you feeling about results day?

SUPER NERVOUSE!!
Good luck everyone. I’m so terrified about this whole thing. Hopefully the tank order means it is less susceptible to issues than ib. Does anyone know if teachers have to evidence the rank order they submitted or if theoretically they can say it is evidenced but have plucked it out of thin air?
Original post by DGeorge13
Good luck everyone. I’m so terrified about this whole thing. Hopefully the tank order means it is less susceptible to issues than ib. Does anyone know if teachers have to evidence the rank order they submitted or if theoretically they can say it is evidenced but have plucked it out of thin air?

from the document - Summer 2020 grades for GCSE, AS and A level, Extended Project Qualification and Advanced Extension Award in maths (pg 7)
Original post by neko no basu
from the document - Summer 2020 grades for GCSE, AS and A level, Extended Project Qualification and Advanced Extension Award in maths (pg 7)

Thanks . We can but hope. Maybe I’m stressing too much but I just have this feeling that it could all go interestingly
(how did everyone manage to keep the questions bold?😅)

1. AS or A level?
AS
2. What subjects?
History, Law, English Literature

For everyone:
I don’t actually know, my college don’t tend to predict. But for history my teacher was expecting an A.
Nervous like everyone really, it’s weird how it’s practically out of my control. Plus I’m worried that I won’t be able to apply the unis I’ve gotten attached to as my grades won’t be anywhere near good enough lol.
9. Anything else to add?
Just a massive good luck to all the y13’s! I can’t imagine the stress :/
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by justjas33
(how did everyone manage to keep the questions bold?😅)

1. AS or A level?
AS
2. What subjects?
History, Law, English Literature

For everyone:
I don’t actually know, my college don’t tend to predict. But for history my teacher was expecting an A.
Nervous like everyone really, it’s weird how it’s practically out of my control. Plus I’m worried that I won’t be able to apply the unis I’ve gotten attached to as my grades won’t be anywhere near good enough lol.
9. Anything else to add?
Just a massive good luck to all the y13’s! I can’t imagine the stress :/

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA just quote the other users and then remove the quotes and then use that lol
4 weeks to go now!
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
4 weeks to go now!

what grades do you need and what are you expecting? which uni are you off to? Good luck!
Original post by bored_user:)
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA just quote the other users and then remove the quotes and then use that lol

Ohhh gotcha, thank you! I’ve been here for a couple months but I guess I’m still a TSR newbie ahaha
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
4 weeks to go now!

This definitely terrifies me.
Original post by justjas33
Ohhh gotcha, thank you! I’ve been here for a couple months but I guess I’m still a TSR newbie ahaha

hahaha dont worry lol. I just used common sense to figure it out tho!
Original post by Nana.hauwa
This definitely terrifies me.

agreed lol. It is VERY terrifying!
Original post by bored_user:)
agreed lol. It is VERY terrifying!

The worst part is I didn't take the year seriously until the end so now I have no idea what I'm getting.
Original post by Nana.hauwa
The worst part is I didn't take the year seriously until the end so now I have no idea what I'm getting.

I am sorry to hear that but they are giving out grades higher than peoples predictions.. so lets see!

Quick Reply

Latest