The Student Room Group

Is it really safe to date (the same person) during the pandemic?

We dont have lockdown in our country. My boyfriend thinks it's silly we should keep a distance and he doesn't even care if I have cold. He has autism and so do I so I don't know maybe he doesn't think so much of this for that reason I also have anxiety tho so I already worry about things a lot.
I haven't seen any of my friends in months. I haven't seen my only friend in the area for example since February (!) even tho we miss each other because he is very extroverted whereas i'm introverted so he's hanging out with friends a lot so i'm worried about the risk of seeing him but he gets it and doesn't think it's silly he just jokes about me "isolating myself" or tells jokes about how it can't be much different from my regular life which is true. xDAnd then we chat or play video games instead.

Well anyway I was kind of isolating myself before me and my bf started dating (we've dated in the past and knew each other already) and i've tried to take safety precautions with him but he says that now since our feelings are deepening we can't keep a distance anymore and that he doesn't want to stay at a distance from me and that the pandemic could go on for at least a year... I get his point and kinda agree but I feel like you have to look at the big picture like some people have it way worse. And i've only wanted to see him outdoors due to this but he wants to be indoors also which we were one day at his place just chilling but that felt like a big risk to take and all this just make me more anxious. Is it safe for him and I to date and not keep distance to each other? Last time I try to talk to him about this he said we are young and healthy + there's so many free beds at the hospital so nothing to worry about.. Many people have this mindset that corona isn't that serious unless you're a risk group person but I don't know... And how you even know you're a risk group? Sometimes you have underlying illness without knowing yet... Thats kinda my thoughts
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
We dont have lockdown in our country. My boyfriend thinks it's silly we should keep a distance and he doesn't even care if I have cold. He has autism and so do I so I don't know maybe he doesn't think so much of this for that reason I also have anxiety tho so I already worry about things a lot.
I haven't seen any of my friends in months. I haven't seen my only friend in the area for example since February (!) even tho we miss each other because he is very extroverted whereas i'm introverted so he's hanging out with friends a lot so i'm worried about the risk of seeing him but he gets it and doesn't think it's silly he just jokes about me "isolating myself" or tells jokes about how it can't be much different from my regular life which is true. xDAnd then we chat or play video games instead.

Well anyway I was kind of isolating myself before me and my bf started dating (we've dated in the past and knew each other already) and i've tried to take safety precautions with him but he says that now since our feelings are deepening we can't keep a distance anymore and that he doesn't want to stay at a distance from me and that the pandemic could go on for at least a year... I get his point and kinda agree but I feel like you have to look at the big picture like some people have it way worse. And i've only wanted to see him outdoors due to this but he wants to be indoors also which we were one day at his place just chilling but that felt like a big risk to take and all this just make me more anxious. Is it safe for him and I to date and not keep distance to each other? Last time I try to talk to him about this he said we are young and healthy + there's so many free beds at the hospital so nothing to worry about.. Many people have this mindset that corona isn't that serious unless you're a risk group person but I don't know... And how you even know you're a risk group? Sometimes you have underlying illness without knowing yet... Thats kinda my thoughts

Hi, it sounds like you are in quite a complicated situation as you obviously want to spend time with your bf but want to keep safe as well, which is perfectly valid! Is there anyone who is vulnerable in your family? That way you can say you have to be extra careful to keep them safe..

As far as I know the rules are that you can meet with other people but keep a suitable distance.. if he insists on meeting up maybe try and plan outside activities so say you want to have a picnic in the park etc instead of inside..

If he does go to your house or you to his make sure you wash your hands a lot, read up on the best advice and just take precautions.. it's hard to change someone's mind especially if they don't believe the virus is real.. unfortunately it is and you just have to be as careful as you can.. I hope it goes okay!
Reply 2
Original post by Abzzz57
Hi, it sounds like you are in quite a complicated situation as you obviously want to spend time with your bf but want to keep safe as well, which is perfectly valid! Is there anyone who is vulnerable in your family? That way you can say you have to be extra careful to keep them safe..

As far as I know the rules are that you can meet with other people but keep a suitable distance.. if he insists on meeting up maybe try and plan outside activities so say you want to have a picnic in the park etc instead of inside..

If he does go to your house or you to his make sure you wash your hands a lot, read up on the best advice and just take precautions.. it's hard to change someone's mind especially if they don't believe the virus is real.. unfortunately it is and you just have to be as careful as you can.. I hope it goes okay!

We have been outside a lot but he thinks it's silly and wants to start hanging out indoors as well and he's pretty stubborn on that because he doesn't think it's a risk aand he doesn't want to keep a distance anymore either... I have no one vulnerable in my family that counts as being in a risk group. I still wouldn't want to make anyone in my family sick though, and I don't want to get sick myself either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending