The Student Room Group

Bristol Law or Exeter Law ?

Hi guys, I’m currently very stuck between these two universities, and unsure about my choices. I’ve listed down below the pros and cons for each uni. I know that people can’t decide for me, but I am just seeking some help and advise to make my choice. Thanks!

EXETER Pros:
- [ ] Has offered me a scholarship if I get specific grades
- [ ] Campus uni
- [ ] Higher up in UK ranks right now (2021)
- [ ] More affordable to live in
- [ ] Student city
- [ ] Accommodation guaranteed

Exeter Cons:
- [ ] Very low in international ranking (#164 in QS 2021)
- [ ] Don’t know how Magic circle firms feel about Exeter compared to Bristol which I know MC firms like Bristol
- [ ] Like I touched on above, I’m still unsure on it’s employability in law
- [ ] Smaller city / less things to do
- [ ] Not as diverse
- [ ] Doesn’t consider LNATS which I did and so would’ve been a waste to have done it

BRISTOL Pros:
- [ ] Better reputation in Law from Magic circle firms ?
- [ ] Bigger city / more activities
- [ ] More diverse
- [ ] Higher in international ranking QS
- [ ] Considers LNATS so won’t b a waste
- [ ] Closer to London / other big cities

Bristol Cons:
- [ ] I will have to go through clearing/ adjustment as I didn’t chose it as one of my five choices
- [ ] Bit more expensive
- [ ] Has fallen down on ranks in law and lower overall compared to Exeter (UK rankings 2020/2021)
- [ ] Accommodation maybe not guaranteed as I’m applying through clearing/ adjustment
- [ ] It’s not a campus uni

Their location is around the same distance away, so i didn’t include that.
Original post by saviana
Hi guys, I’m currently very stuck between these two universities, and unsure about my choices. I’ve listed down below the pros and cons for each uni. I know that people can’t decide for me, but I am just seeking some help and advise to make my choice. Thanks!

EXETER Pros:
- [ ] Campus uni
- [ ] Student city

Exeter Cons:
- [ ] Don’t know how Magic circle firms feel about Exeter compared to Bristol which I know MC firms like Bristol
- [ ] Not as diverse
- [ ] Doesn’t consider LNATS which I did and so would’ve been a waste to have done it

BRISTOL Pros:
- [ ] More diverse

Bristol Cons:
- [ ] I will have to go through clearing/ adjustment as I didn’t chose it as one of my five choices
- [ ] Bit more expensive
- [ ] Has fallen down on ranks in law and lower overall compared to Exeter (UK rankings 2020/2021)
- [ ] Accommodation maybe not guaranteed as I’m applying through clearing/ adjustment

Where do you want to go? Where do you see yourself?

Ignore rankings, they're meaningless.
Original post by saviana

EXETER Pros:
- [ ] Campus uni
- [ ] Student city

Exeter Cons:
- [ ] Not as diverse

BRISTOL Pros:
- [ ] More diverse

Bristol Cons:
- [ ] Bit more expensive

Magic circle firms would have no problem in recruiting someone from Exeter with the right academics/attitude/experience so that should not be a factor in your decision. Also, you don't yet know that you will be able to get into Bristol via Adustment/Clearing and even if you do, they had serious problems last year with not having enough accommodation to house all the students they recruited late on in the cycle.

@swanseajack1 maybe you could tell OP more about this please?
Original post by harrysbar
Magic circle firms would have no problem in recruiting someone from Exeter with the right academics/attitude/experience so that should not be a factor in your decision. Also, you don't yet know that you will be able to get into Bristol via Adustment/Clearing and even if you do, they had serious problems last year with not having enough accommodation to house all the students they recruited late on in the cycle.

Last year Bristol were housing clearing students in Newport 31 miles away and their veterinary college 16 miles away so I would avoid Bristol through clearing adjustment. I also doubt you will get in for Law anyway.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/bristol-university-students-accommodation-newport-16901097
Reply 4
Hi,

This is probably perfect for me as I'm from Bristol and study law at Exeter so should be able to help out.

Like others have said above, reputation and rankings really mean nothing. There's such a negligible difference between the two, that no employer is going to be bothered that you chose Exeter over Bristol or vice versa. International rankings also don't really mean much.

Taking rankings out of the equation, it sounds like Exeter is the better option. You've got a place there, it's campus like you seem to want, and it's more affordable. Getting into the LLB through clearing or adjustment with Bristol might not be easy either, especially with accommodation - I wouldn't be surprised if you're placed somewhere not very social.

Exeter is a great student city and I love it here; as for diversity, it's not very diverse, but I wouldn't say Bristol is the epitome of diversity either. As for things to do, Exeter has everything you need really, and that's coming from Bristol. I don't know what you planned to do, but nightlife is sufficient in Exeter, and most of it is to do with the people you're with more than anything.

Happy to answer anymore questions, but Exeter sounds like the much better, safer option.
Reply 5
Original post by Euphoria101
Where do you want to go? Where do you see yourself?

Ignore rankings, they're meaningless.

I will now. Thanks !
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar

Thank you for this information, I needed to know that :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Last year Bristol were housing clearing students in Newport 31 miles away and their veterinary college 16 miles away so I would avoid Bristol through clearing adjustment. I also doubt you will get in for Law anyway.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/bristol-university-students-accommodation-newport-16901097

Lol thanks. I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try. But the article’s helpful.
Reply 8
Original post by Arisapo
Hi,

This is probably perfect for me as I'm from Bristol and study law at Exeter so should be able to help out.

Like others have said above, reputation and rankings really mean nothing. There's such a negligible difference between the two, that no employer is going to be bothered that you chose Exeter over Bristol or vice versa. International rankings also don't really mean much.

Taking rankings out of the equation, it sounds like Exeter is the better option. You've got a place there, it's campus like you seem to want, and it's more affordable. Getting into the LLB through clearing or adjustment with Bristol might not be easy either, especially with accommodation - I wouldn't be surprised if you're placed somewhere not very social.

Exeter is a great student city and I love it here; as for diversity, it's not very diverse, but I wouldn't say Bristol is the epitome of diversity either. As for things to do, Exeter has everything you need really, and that's coming from Bristol. I don't know what you planned to do, but nightlife is sufficient in Exeter, and most of it is to do with the people you're with more than anything.

Happy to answer anymore questions, but Exeter sounds like the much better, safer option.

Thank you so much ! This was exactly what I needed. I just wanted to explore the aspect of Bristol a bit more, but Exeter is sounding a bit more appealing.

How is Law at Exeter ? Are you enjoying it ? (any info is really appreciated/ helpful). Thank you again :smile:!
Reply 9
Original post by saviana
Thank you so much ! This was exactly what I needed. I just wanted to explore the aspect of Bristol a bit more, but Exeter is sounding a bit more appealing.

How is Law at Exeter ? Are you enjoying it ? (any info is really appreciated/ helpful). Thank you again :smile:!

What kind of aspects of Bristol did you want to explore? Don't get me wrong, I love Bristol and it's an excellent university, but it's a big risk to turn down Exeter for the possibility of going to Bristol when it wouldn't be guaranteed. Reputation is effectively a non-factor when there's such a tiny difference.

I'm really enjoying it. I can't compare it to other unis as obviously it's the only one I've studied at, but I find most of the content enjoyable, while the student life and those kind of aspects are great. The campus feel is a big bonus too.

If there's any specifics about the course or Exeter in general I should be able to answer!
Original post by saviana

Exeter is a far better choice - there is plenty to do and it's not that much further from London, I'd go with the offer you have and the accommodation choice is far superior.
Reply 11
Original post by Arisapo
What kind of aspects of Bristol did you want to explore? Don't get me wrong, I love Bristol and it's an excellent university, but it's a big risk to turn down Exeter for the possibility of going to Bristol when it wouldn't be guaranteed. Reputation is effectively a non-factor when there's such a tiny difference.

I'm really enjoying it. I can't compare it to other unis as obviously it's the only one I've studied at, but I find most of the content enjoyable, while the student life and those kind of aspects are great. The campus feel is a big bonus too.

If there's any specifics about the course or Exeter in general I should be able to answer!

I was watching a lot of YouTube videos on Exeter, and diversity was a topic that came up a lot. I now understand that Bristol and Exeter aren’t so different in this aspect, but previously didn’t, so I thought I should look more into Bristol and see what it’s like.

I also thought that if I was able to get good results, I’d be able to go through adjustment so the risk wouldn’t be as big.

After taking everything into account, I probably will stick with Exeter. Thank you so much for your input, it has helped massively : )
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is a far better choice - there is plenty to do and it's not that much further from London, I'd go with the offer you have and the accommodation choice is far superior.

Thanks for this. It’s really helpful, and I probably will stick with Exeter.
Original post by saviana
Thanks for this. It’s really helpful, and I probably will stick with Exeter.

Bristol law isn't in clearing for home/EU applicants this year anyway, so it won't be an option unless you're an international student (at least currently).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by saviana
I was watching a lot of YouTube videos on Exeter, and diversity was a topic that came up a lot. I now understand that Bristol and Exeter aren’t so different in this aspect, but previously didn’t, so I thought I should look more into Bristol and see what it’s like.

I also thought that if I was able to get good results, I’d be able to go through adjustment so the risk wouldn’t be as big.

After taking everything into account, I probably will stick with Exeter. Thank you so much for your input, it has helped massively : )

I think if you go to any RG university, the majority of students are going to be middle-class and white. That's the crux of it. There are always international students, or plenty of societies that represent different cultures and backgrounds, so you should hopefully never feel isolated because of race.

Even if you get outstanding results, adjustment is no guarantee, especially for law, as Bristol might not be going through it. It's certainly not worth the hassle if you've already got guaranteed accommodation with Exeter.

Think it's the right choice! Anymore questions and I'll be more than happy to contribute!
Original post by saviana

Exeter made the news because it expelled the racists ... it has a huge INTO building [pre-university courses for o/s students] an Islamic centre.

All universities will have racists, sexists, etc etc - what matters is how they are dealt with.
Reply 16
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter made the news because it expelled the racists ... it has a huge INTO building [pre-university courses for o/s students] an Islamic centre.

All universities will have racists, sexists, etc etc - what matters is how they are dealt with

That is definitely true I guess, and had no idea they did that. Thanks again for the information!
Reply 17
Original post by Arisapo
I think if you go to any RG university, the majority of students are going to be middle-class and white. That's the crux of it. There are always international students, or plenty of societies that represent different cultures and backgrounds, so you should hopefully never feel isolated because of race.

Even if you get outstanding results, adjustment is no guarantee, especially for law, as Bristol might not be going through it. It's certainly not worth the hassle if you've already got guaranteed accommodation with Exeter.

Think it's the right choice! Anymore questions and I'll be more than happy to

That definitely does make me more at ease about going to Exeter.

When I have more questions, I will definitely ask :smile:! Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest