The Student Room Group

unbearable period pain

i started my period just now and the pain is way too much for me. i never used to feel it so i understand that periods are meant to hurt but i think this is way too much, its making me feel breathless and no medication is helping. is this normal,
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonnnnn1
i started my period just now and the pain is way too much for me. i never used to feel it so i understand that periods are meant to hurt but i think this is way too much, its making me feel breathless and no medication is helping. is this normal,

Some women do get severe period pains. If this is a regular occurrence, you should speak to your GP as they could prescribe stronger painkillers or suggest going on the pill to help control / reduce the pain. In the meantime, continue taking painkillers. Use hot water bottles and try to get as comfortable as you can. Some women find that doing exercise helps reduce the pain.
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Why make your pain our pain. Use the internet... Yuck.

lmao this is the health section and i’ll write whatever i want
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Some women do get severe period pains. If this is a regular occurrence, you should speak to your GP as they could prescribe stronger painkillers or suggest going on the pill to help control / reduce the pain. In the meantime, continue taking painkillers. Use hot water bottles and try to get as comfortable as you can. Some women find that doing exercise helps reduce the pain.

ive tried stronger medication codeine but its really not doing anything. although it wasnt prescribed to me.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Why make your pain our pain. Use the internet... Yuck.

What did you expect from the Health section of a forum? Please grow up if you think period pains are something to be disgusted by?
Also...this is the internet.
what i do is bury my head in my knees, scream and wait for the ibuprofen to kick in
Idk what to do but I guess you can avoid eating food that are not good for your period, and maybe relax your muscles there?
Don't eat cold food or drinks, maybe stuff that is spicy, red meat etc.
Reply 7
Original post by rxyaltyx
what i do is bury my head in my knees, scream and wait for the ibuprofen to kick in

no medication is working. i cant even stay still :/
Reply 8
ive always taken ibuprofen because i felt it works better and faster. that didnt work so three hours later i took codeine
Reply 9
thank you for writing all that <33
i really want to exercise but i cant even stay standing up :/
and i dont think contraceptives are allowed in my religion. im not sure.
hope you’re okay though and thank you (((:
THIS IS SO WEIRD, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THE SAME THING ON MY BLOG.

i have sat in front of the tv all morning with unbelievable period pain too!! cramping, feeling nauseous, feeling like i needed to pee when i didn't.

i feel better now - had some breakfast, hot water bottle on my uterus, took 2 ibuprofens. :yep:

i hope your pain subsides!
I used to be the same!! The best advice i can give you is what i do -
It might sound silly, but a few days before my period, i eat lots of spinach. Put it in a smoothie, mix it in a salad or cook it with onions. Its great iron and i have found it to help me loads. Less period pains overall
I also make sure to eat lots of carbs (pasta especially) and heavy meals on my period to give me energy! I promise, by eating heavy meals you will feel less weak during your period. I mean pasta, toasties etc.
And if the pain is still bad, which usually not, i take period pain tablets. Buy it from morrisons and they are specifically for period pain. They have a coating which means the medicine gets dissolved further into your digestive system and targets the pain directly - really helps honestly.
I hope this helps, girl .Give it a try please.
Reply 12
gonna try that now (:
i think its allowed i just checked it but its that clear if its allowed for periods specifically. im muslim btw
thank you so much <3333
Reply 13
gonna try that now (:
i think its allowed i just checked it but its that clear if its allowed for periods specifically. im muslim btw
thank you so much <3333

its not that clear*
gonna try that now (:
thank you so much <3333

Weird but I find a hot shower helps
Hot water bottle as well as ice. I do both.
Gently massage the area
Apply some muscle ache balm
Light exercise to moderate exercise. Better to keep moving than to stay still
Avoid the chocolate! Oddly it seems to increase my pain.
Stay hydrated.
Take pain killers. Ibuprofen works best for me. Paracetamol does not work for me.
Keep distracted.
Reply 15
Original post by yzanne
THIS IS SO WEIRD, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THE SAME THING ON MY BLOG.

i have sat in front of the tv all morning with unbelievable period pain too!! cramping, feeling nauseous, feeling like i needed to pee when i didn't.

i feel better now - had some breakfast, hot water bottle on my uterus, took 2 ibuprofens. :yep:

i hope your pain subsides!

good you feel better and thank you (:
^ theres good advice on this too if you need it <3
Reply 16
Lol i thought you wrote oxycodone for a second there, i was like possibly slight overkill for this :lol:
Original post by Napp
Lol i thought you wrote oxycodone for a second there, i was like possibly slight overkill for this :lol:

Oxycodone is a nice feeling.... 😂 😂 Until the addiction kicks in.
ive tried stronger medication codeine but its really not doing anything. although it wasnt prescribed to me.

You need to go to your GP and ask to be prescribed stronger painkillers and also discuss going on the pill.
Have u tried mefenamic acid? (Life saver!!)
Mine are usually unbearable to the point where I expect to faint, can’t eat anything and feel as tho I’m sweating crazy one minute and shivering the next.
My mums a nurse and she told me to take 1 in the morning and 1 before I go to sleep. After I took to that in routine I don’t feel as bad w only very mild cramps :smile:

If u want more assurance u can search it up and it will tell u that it can be used to treat mild to moderate pain for the menstrual cycle :wink: you can also talk to ur GP about it x

Quick Reply

Latest