The Student Room Group

Receiving doctoral Loan and continuing part time self employment

Hi,

Couple of questions re the doctoral loan.

Is self employment allowed to carry on while getting the doctoral loan?
I intend to work around 10 hours a week while keeping registered as sole trader with HMRC.
Will most likely need to claim some Universal credit too.
Will UC simply use the 30% loan @ £1 for £1 and income from self employment @ .63p in pound as deductions?

If all that's OK and I get on a course this year, how far in advance to I need to apply for the loan - is it quite quick?

Thanks,
Original post by Studentbot64
Hi,

Couple of questions re the doctoral loan.

Is self employment allowed to carry on while getting the doctoral loan?
I intend to work around 10 hours a week while keeping registered as sole trader with HMRC.
Will most likely need to claim some Universal credit too.
Will UC simply use the 30% loan @ £1 for £1 and income from self employment @ .63p in pound as deductions?

If all that's OK and I get on a course this year, how far in advance to I need to apply for the loan - is it quite quick?

Thanks,

Hi there, if you are wanting to study in the 20/21 academic year then you should apply now.
I will answer your questions in order.

1. We don't need to know about your employment unless your employer is paying you to attend the course.
2. as above.
3. 4. Regarding these two questions you will need to speak with Universal Credit https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/contact-universal-credit

You can find out more about the loan here http://ow.ly/Ny1s30oSf1Y
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, if you are wanting to study in the 20/21 academic year then you should apply now.
I will answer your questions in order.

1. We don't need to know about your employment unless your employer is paying you to attend the course.
2. as above.
3. 4. Regarding these two questions you will need to speak with Universal Credit https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/contact-universal-credit

You can find out more about the loan here http://ow.ly/Ny1s30oSf1Y
Thanks, Isaac

Hi, thanks.
A few more than a couple of questions there, apologies.
I will contact UC. I've spoken to Citizens advice and they don't know. I think I'm right though.
I'm still putting a proposal together for a PHD, and could take a few attempts to get a supervisor onboard.
So it could be a late in the year start.
So as long as I apply as soon as I know - hopefully mid August, would I get the loan in time for possible October start?
Thanks again.
Hi, thanks.
A few more than a couple of questions there, apologies.
I will contact UC. I've spoken to Citizens advice and they don't know. I think I'm right though.
I'm still putting a proposal together for a PHD, and could take a few attempts to get a supervisor onboard.
So it could be a late in the year start.
So as long as I apply as soon as I know - hopefully mid August, would I get the loan in time for possible October start?
Thanks again.

We do advise allowing up to 6 weeks to be assessed. If you apply in August it should be assessed in time but it's not something I can guarantee.

We always advise applying for a loan first as the loan can be cancelled or changed if required.
Thanks, Isaac
We do advise allowing up to 6 weeks to be assessed. If you apply in August it should be assessed in time but it's not something I can guarantee.

We always advise applying for a loan first as the loan can be cancelled or changed if required.
Thanks, Isaac

Great info. Thank you!
Great info. Thank you!

You're welcome :smile:
You're welcome :smile:

Hi,
I just tried to apply for doctoral loan. Planning/hoping to start October.
Online asked if I've 'ever' had a Gov student loan before. I did have an undergraduate loan in 1994, but was declared bankrupt in 2004, so it was written off - before the rules changed. So I said yes.
Now it won't log me in, or get any old details back.
Anyone know what to do before I call - is the call wait time long?

Thanks.
Hi,
I just tried to apply for doctoral loan. Planning/hoping to start October.
Online asked if I've 'ever' had a Gov student loan before. I did have an undergraduate loan in 1994, but was declared bankrupt in 2004, so it was written off - before the rules changed. So I said yes.
Now it won't log me in, or get any old details back.
Anyone know what to do before I call - is the call wait time long?

Thanks.

Hi, if you message us on Facebook/Twitter with your name and CRN then we can review your account or alternatively you can call us on 0300 100 0607.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending