The Student Room Group

i'm in y11 and nearly finished the a level maths course, is this too much?

I'm doing the edexcel maths board, I finished the as course a few weeks ago and I'm now on integration year 2. Is this too much? I only spend an hour or 2 each day on it...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it's keeping you busy and happy then it's fine.
as long as you're not overworking yourself, it's okay i guess. the lessons when you go back to school will likely test how much you understand from what you've self taught then.
seeing as the majority of my friends who did maths didn't even finish the course by the time we had finished a levels.....(cut short by miss rona but still)

it's very clever. make sure it doesn't compromise your mental health. :yep:
Reply 4
Original post by limitlesspuffy
I'm doing the edexcel maths board, I finished the as course a few weeks ago and I'm now on integration year 2. Is this too much? I only spend an hour or 2 each day on it...

no, that's amazing. Keep going , God Bless truly

Original post by Compost
If it's keeping you busy and happy then it's fine.

Original post by absolutelysprout
as long as you're not overworking yourself, it's okay i guess. the lessons when you go back to school will likely test how much you understand from what you've self taught then.

Original post by yzanne
seeing as the majority of my friends who did maths didn't even finish the course by the time we had finished a levels.....(cut short by miss rona but still)

it's very clever. make sure it doesn't compromise your mental health. :yep:

Original post by Tayaa8
no, that's amazing. Keep going , God Bless truly

Thank you, you all are too nice!
Would you recommend anything else I could do which would be useful for going into sixth form? The other subjects I'm taking are Biology and Chemistry and still contemplating whether to take further maths or not lol.
Seems like you're doing great! I'm in the same boat as you but instead of teaching myself maths, I'm learning Computer Science. I think it's a great idea - as long as you don't overwork yourself. For further maths, I would say go for it! You can start off with it but always drop it later if you are struggling (that's what I plan to do). Plus, you can always try teaching yourself the content for further maths to see if you like it or not as well as if it is too difficult.
Original post by ScoutLeopard
Seems like you're doing great! I'm in the same boat as you but instead of teaching myself maths, I'm learning Computer Science. I think it's a great idea - as long as you don't overwork yourself. For further maths, I would say go for it! You can start off with it but always drop it later if you are struggling (that's what I plan to do). Plus, you can always try teaching yourself the content for further maths to see if you like it or not as well as if it is too difficult.

Thank you! What other subjects are you taking? Have you started the Further maths course?

Wow, im in yr 11 but i think you’re doing amazing. I’m doing Maths too but I’ve only covered the AS content for now(apart from 2-3 subtopics). Have u done the same for ur other subjects?

keep going, but dont burn urself out!
Would you recommend anything else I could do which would be useful for going into sixth form? The other subjects I'm taking are Biology and Chemistry and still contemplating whether to take further maths or not lol.

it sounds like you're doing really well and would definitely be able to handle further maths!!
i was in a similar position to you last year with having done most of a level maths (i did igcse further pure maths) and taking further maths was probably one of my best decisions, it's fast-paced, really interesting and you're surrounded by people who enjoy the subject. i dropped it last term because i do 2 other essay subjects so i didn't have enough time to give it all of my attention and wanted to focus more on normal applied maths anyway, but you're in a really strong position so this shouldn't be a problem for you!

Spoiler

Nah it's not too much. I assume you're doing this out of interest - if (when) you get bored with A-level content you can start trying STEP problems. Or any problems of a suitable level in that flavour.

If you're finding A-level maths easy (and I assume you are by the looks of things) - you'll be well on track for an good grade in FM.

And if you're this interested in maths - why not take FM?
Reply 12
nope you are good! just dont overwork yourself and dont be too hard on yourself keep going :smile:

It's fine but just be careful. I did the same for additional maths FSMQ and I got a B instead of an A (I got a 9 in IGCSE maths though). For A levels I worked slightly ahead and I have an A* Predicted for Maths. Just be careful. No problem with it.

Damn I’ve only just started AS 😂. You using the textbook?
Reply 15
Thats really good. As long as it doesnt tire you out or affect your health then its fine

read up the spec but i wouldn't do much else.
Original post by Humairazaman
Wow, im in yr 11 but i think you’re doing amazing. I’m doing Maths too but I’ve only covered the AS content for now(apart from 2-3 subtopics). Have u done the same for ur other subjects?

keep going, but dont burn urself out!

It's great that you've covered AS content, I'm only about half way through the A level course and if I decide to take further maths, I would have to finish the maths a level course in a year anyway. I've started doing some for my other subjects but finding it a little hard as it's more about learning theory rather than just doing questions. I have kind of gone through the AS content but not sure if it was done effectively.
Original post by rxc03
it sounds like you're doing really well and would definitely be able to handle further maths!!
i was in a similar position to you last year with having done most of a level maths (i did igcse further pure maths) and taking further maths was probably one of my best decisions, it's fast-paced, really interesting and you're surrounded by people who enjoy the subject. i dropped it last term because i do 2 other essay subjects so i didn't have enough time to give it all of my attention and wanted to focus more on normal applied maths anyway, but you're in a really strong position so this shouldn't be a problem for you!

Thank you! Are you at uni now? If so, what course are you doing?
Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

Nah it's not too much. I assume you're doing this out of interest - if (when) you get bored with A-level content you can start trying STEP problems. Or any problems of a suitable level in that flavour.

Okay thank you, don't have any questions rn but will ask if I think of any! Sorry I don't understand what you mean by STEP questions.

Quick Reply

Latest