The Student Room Group

speeding in the UK

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ermss
i was driving and accidentally lost track of my surroundings, when i looked down i saw i was doing 50 mph in a 30 and i immediately break, unfortunately at the time i wasnt aware i was next to a camera, they caught me speeding 42 mph in a 30 mph zone, will i get 3 points taken of my license?

How much are speeding fines in the UK, will I get a ticket if I am 1mph over the limit and what is it on motorways and dual carriageways?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3364890/speeding-fines-uk-laws-penalties-ban-limit/
Original post by ermss
i was driving and accidentally lost track of my surroundings, when i looked down i saw i was doing 50 mph in a 30 and i immediately break, unfortunately at the time i wasnt aware i was next to a camera, they caught me speeding 42 mph in a 30 mph zone, will i get 3 points taken of my license? In addition to this, it is my first and only offence i have ever had, i am 19 and almost finished driving for 2 years. I am hoping i can get the speed awareness course but i never speed in any instance because there is no need to in my opinion.

Nope - this is Band B speeding, which attracts 4-6 points minimum. If you get six points, you lose your license.
Original post by Storage 24
How much are speeding fines in the UK, will I get a ticket if I am 1mph over the limit and what is it on motorways and dual carriageways?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3364890/speeding-fines-uk-laws-penalties-ban-limit/

Make your own thread to ask a question, rather than hijack someone else's.
Original post by Reality Check
Make your own thread to ask a question, rather than hijack someone else's.

:confused: What?
Reply 5
Nope - this is Band B speeding, which attracts 4-6 points minimum. If you get six points, you lose your license.

how? to what im reading i could be elidgable for the course from 30-42 mph according to my research, if i have been caught driving 50 mph then yes according to what i have read i would get banned for 4 to 6 points.
Original post by Storage 24
:confused: What?

You've made it look like you were asking a new question, as you didn't use the title of the article you were pointing to as the title of your link. Like this:

Original post by ermss
how? to what im reading i could be elidgable for the course from 30-42 mph according to my research, if i have been caught driving 50 mph then yes according to what i have read i would get banned for 4 to 6 points.

You're on the boundary of being offered a speed awareness course - but that's if you know you were going at 42 and not 43. Also, I suspect such excess speed by a young driver in a 30mph would be taken more seriously.

Taken fromn 'Ask the Police', Q584:

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 14.43.43.png
Original post by Admit-One
You've made it look like you were asking a new question, as you didn't use the title of the article you were pointing to as the title of your link. Like this:

Thank you - that explains it :smile:
Thank you - that explains it :smile:

Embarrassingly, I had to click through to The Sun website to check.

*shudders*
Reply 10
You're on the boundary of being offered a speed awareness course - but that's if you know you were going at 42 and not 43. Also, I suspect such excess speed by a young driver in a 30mph would be taken more seriously.

Taken fromn 'Ask the Police', Q584:

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 14.43.43.png

the letter i got from the police said that i got caught speeding 42 mph in a 30 mph from a camera, with no past driving history.
Original post by ermss
the letter i got from the police said that i got caught speeding 42 mph in a 30 mph from a camera, with no past driving history.

And have you had an NIP yet (notice of intended prosecution)? Surely the letter said more than just the speed you were caught at?
Original post by Admit-One
Embarrassingly, I had to click through to The Sun website to check.

*shudders*

I can lend you my Guardian if you need to cleanse yourself. It's got a coffee ring on it, but apart from that it's pretty tidy.
Reply 13
And have you had an NIP yet (notice of intended prosecution)? Surely the letter said more than just the speed you were caught at?

yes it is a notice of intended prosecution, i have to give my details etc and at the back im given three options of whats going to happen, i will either, A) get the speed awareness course, B) conditional offer and fixed penalty (3 points and 100 pounds), C) court hearing.
Original post by ermss
yes it is a notice of intended prosecution, i have to give my details etc and at the back im given three options of whats going to happen, i will either, A) get the speed awareness course, B) conditional offer and fixed penalty (3 points and 100 pounds), C) court hearing.

You'll have to wait then, I'm afraid. However, I wouldn't assume you can get a course because it's right at the very top of the scale for one and you're a young driver. No-one on TSR has a crystal ball and can tell you what's going to happen in your particular case, because all cases are different in their specific circumstances regarding the speeding (eg location, weather, traffic etc).
Reply 15
You'll have to wait then, I'm afraid. However, I wouldn't assume you can get a course because it's right at the very top of the scale for one and you're a young driver. No-one on TSR has a crystal ball and can tell you what's going to happen in your particular case, because all cases are different in their specific circumstances regarding the speeding (eg location, weather, traffic etc).

do you have any advice to give me to try and avoid the 3 points? like if i am given the 3 points should i go to court or? because technically speaking i am still eligible for the course. i will be sending of my details soon, hopefully i am not given this punishment
Reply 16
Losing awareness when driving is not a good habit to get into, you got lucky this time but next time could be someone crossing the road. My advice swallow the pride take the course or points and learn from it. Trying to get out of it is a bad idea as you’ve been caught and being distracted isn’t an excuse. Behind the wheel is the last place this should happen.
Reply 17
Original post by TheDE
Losing awareness when driving is not a good habit to get into, you got lucky this time but next time could be someone crossing the road. My advice swallow the pride take the course or points and learn from it. Trying to get out of it is a bad idea as you’ve been caught and being distracted isn’t an excuse. Behind the wheel is the last place this should happen.

100 percent, i just regret this because my insurance premium will sky rocket, i hope somehow i can be forgiven because i use my car for work as well so im afraid i will also lose my job which is even more worrying for a silly stupid mistake i done, i wish i could turn back what i done
Original post by ermss
do you have any advice to give me to try and avoid the 3 points? like if i am given the 3 points should i go to court or? because technically speaking i am still eligible for the course. i will be sending of my details soon, hopefully i am not given this punishment

You are not 'technically eligible' for the course. You're reading that document as if it's definitive, where actually it clearly says on it that 'the criteria operated by each Police force...for SAC differs slightly'.

If you got three points out of it and a fine, that would be a good result (absent the SAC). 4+ points is more likely though. There would be no point in going to court unless you were going to contest it somehow, and had a reason to: you're likely to get a harsher penalty otherwise.
you won't lose your job for a speeding fine, and you need to tell the insurance about a SAC anyway so it isn't a massive amount of difference as long as you don't commit another offence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending