The Student Room Group

Double Standard ?

Just a question for those who “support the black lives matter movement but not the protests or *marxism* it’s become” apparently.

Do you think all cops are bad?

I seem to see a lot of people defending the police saying, you can’t judge them all based on the actions of most of them. Though people who share these views normally seem to be the same ones putting down BLM even though majority of the protests are peaceful.

Why do you encompass a whole movement by a few negative incidents and say it taints us but we should believe not all cops are bad?

I can think of a number of ppl I’ve met who fit this bill so if u think u do why is this your reasoning?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nathan_nacu
Just a question for those who “support the black lives matter movement but not the protests or *marxism* it’s become” apparently.

Do you think all cops are bad?

I seem to see a lot of people defending the police saying, you can’t judge them all based on the actions of most of them. Though people who share these views normally seem to be the same ones putting down BLM even though majority of the protests are peaceful.

Why do you encompass a whole movement by a few negative incidents and say it taints us but we should believe not all cops are bad?

I can think of a number of ppl I’ve met who fit this bill so if u think u do why is this your reasoning?

This is a good and interesting conversation and question. It basically answers itself - double standards. Firstly I'll say and agree black lives matter. Things need changing, equality, education, and so forth. It's been too long coming. The use of the word 'ALL' disturbs me. All cops are... For example. The rationale behind that is clear. If one cop is bad, then others who don't stop them are bad also. But it's not that simple. Fair enough, short taglines work but they don't answer everything, just incite fury because if you start to try and explain the vast amount of variables, people will just get bored and tune out. Cops who are bad, who don't do their best by all, who mistreat and abuse their powers, think they're above the law, need to be identified, investigated swiftly and dealt with properly using the same judicial system that they attempt to flout against innocent (or not so innocent but deserve to be treated with humanity and have their welfare looked after) people.

You start throwing the word ALL around it has to come back and hit everyone in the face. All cops are bad, all lives matter, all people have a responsibility for their kids and the areas they live in. But the fact you can't use ALL.

Some cops are bad. Some people don't care about their neighbourhoods or their fellow brothers and sisters who walk the same pavements as them. Some people turn a blind eye to crime due to fear or lack of moral compass. Some people make mistakes. All people could act better!

Without a doubt, black lives matter, women's rights matter, the LGBTQ+ community matter. It's a modern world and lots of people, rules and regulations need to come out the dark ages and be transformed so it's fair for everybody and the ones who abuse the system or people need to be dealt with via a judicial system which reflects the fair and honest people it is there to protect.

Peaceful protests are great, some work most don't. The minority who use demonstrations as a way to loot, to commit crime, to get away with their violence, are as bad against the few they are protesting against. The only downside with protesting in this year is COVID. That doesn't discriminate against people. It's a fine line between protesting and actually not being stupid and spreading the devastating virus. I feel more people will be killed by the virus due to the feeling of the need and desire to protest. And that will have a more devastating impact than the point of the protest to highlight people should have equal rights.

Overhauls need to happen. Governments need to sit up and listen right now. But we as the people, as a whole, need to stand up and look out for each other and stand together and balanced to make sure everyone gets fairness. It doesn't matter if your politics are left, right, centre, upside down or inside out. It comes down to whether you're a good person or a bad person.

There was an incident in America where a black cop turned up to an incident and started to follow a black suspect. The cop was going to taser the black suspect but the black suspect pulled out a gun and shot the black cop and then ran away like the coward he was. I'm not over using the word black as a slur, but then what would be supporting, black lives matter so the suspect was fine to do that or the cop was bad because he targeted (as pointed out by witnesses) a black male suspect? It's kinda a rhetorical question but, because of the word ALL, that would make the black cop a bad guy despite being seriously, and nearly fatally hurt.

You could almost write out lines and at various points, insert all the taglines on rotation because one can support or negate, the various ideas and angers of people. E.g. All cops are bad... Apart from the ones who are great and help people. Black lives matter... But what about those who are paedophiles and rapists.

I just think its a messed up world and everyone is too quick to look at the labels on people rather than stop, think and listen to the examples from people who have faced injustice and inequality and where things need to change. Be excellent to each as you don't know when the protestor your facing or the uniformed officer your angry at, might just be the person to save your life.

Back to this point... Why do you encompass a whole movement by a few negative incidents and say it taints us but we should believe not all cops are bad?... Turn it around, why do you encompass the whole of Law Enforcement by negative incidents and say it taints them all but we should believe all protestors are peaceful and lawful?

I don't mean to appear to hypocritical or standing on one side or the other. It's just its not as simple as the chants and signs. Justice, change and reform yo benefit all of society and all wrong doers held to account swiftly. I hope I've explained my point clearly. Thanks.
Reply 2
I don’t support the movement and I get a lot of abuse for it, but the fact is we are all allowed free speech. I let BLM say what they gotta say and respect it, but most people I’ve met who associate seem to only accept their opinion and attack anyone else. Hence why I want nothing to do with them.

The peaceful protests they are doing are great, ruined by the few nutters in the movement and lots from outside. BLM as a far-left movement protesting is okay. It gets nasty when the far-right counter attack happens. Though I can understand both sides of the argument I do not support the violence of the far right nor the arrogance and hypocrisy of the left.

The fact is the movement has divided people. But that is inevitable. Religion and language divides people, but that is unavoidable. The far right has ruined it for white people - as they make all non supporters of BLM out to be racist thugs. The far left has ruined it for black people - as their attitudes towards peaceful non-supporters is rude and hypocritical (as they seem to think they’re the same as the hooligans).

In my life I will do the best I can to stick up for my friends. I couldn’t care what colour someone’s skin is as long as they are a nice person. Respect is a two way thing. I cannot bring myself to support a movement that has no respect for other opinions or people who don’t want to get involved. I am sure most people in BLM are lovely people but the opposing movements turn humans against each other like dogs.

Much like religion. I have respect for those who are religious and whatnot, but if they knock on my door with Jesus leaflets and threats of Satan I want nothing to do with them. Black lives DO matter, but ‘BLM’ is something else...
Original post by Nevi
I don’t support the movement and I get a lot of abuse for it, but the fact is we are all allowed free speech. I let BLM say what they gotta say and respect it, but most people I’ve met who associate seem to only accept their opinion and attack anyone else. Hence why I want nothing to do with them.

The peaceful protests they are doing are great, ruined by the few nutters in the movement and lots from outside. BLM as a far-left movement protesting is okay. It gets nasty when the far-right counter attack happens. Though I can understand both sides of the argument I do not support the violence of the far right nor the arrogance and hypocrisy of the left.

The fact is the movement has divided people. But that is inevitable. Religion and language divides people, but that is unavoidable. The far right has ruined it for white people - as they make all non supporters of BLM out to be racist thugs. The far left has ruined it for black people - as their attitudes towards peaceful non-supporters is rude and hypocritical (as they seem to think they’re the same as the hooligans).

In my life I will do the best I can to stick up for my friends. I couldn’t care what colour someone’s skin is as long as they are a nice person. Respect is a two way thing. I cannot bring myself to support a movement that has no respect for other opinions or people who don’t want to get involved. I am sure most people in BLM are lovely people but the opposing movements turn humans against each other like dogs.

Much like religion. I have respect for those who are religious and whatnot, but if they knock on my door with Jesus leaflets and threats of Satan I want nothing to do with them. Black lives DO matter, but ‘BLM’ is something else...

You do know there is other races other than black or white? And do you also know that many white ppl support blm as well? But anyways I agree on some points and disagree in others
Reply 4
Original post by Hannah0505
You do know there is other races other than black or white? And do you also know that many white ppl support blm as well? But anyways I agree on some points and disagree in others

lololol of course I know. I didn’t want to include my whole life story as I have in other identical threads (it’s getting old and I cba to type it out again)

I have black friends that think the same as I do and white friends that joined the movement who seem to think Ive become a racist overnight for not joining in. I date an Asian girl and she is my world but she doesn’t want to support BLM because some black people criticised her for not joining in and told her her life was easy because she was Asian.

Its all so incendiary. Maybe from now on I should refer to people as Human because quite frankly I cba to list all the colours of the rainbow in my speech lol. HumanLivesMatter. 😂😂
Original post by Nevi

Why should someone’s opinion be accepted if it is that some people don’t deserve the same basic human rights as others? That’s like saying that someone has the opinion that paedophilia is ok and we should just accept and respect their opinion.

By the way you’re saying things, it really sounds like you do support the movement without realising it. Just because you’re not actively a part of it, it doesn’t mean you can’t agree with their values
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pcdc405
This is a good and interesting conversation and question. It basically answers itself - double standards. Firstly I'll say and agree black lives matter. Things need changing, equality, education, and so forth. It's been too long coming. The use of the word 'ALL' disturbs me. All cops are... For example. The rationale behind that is clear. If one cop is bad, then others who don't stop them are bad also. But it's not that simple. Fair enough, short taglines work but they don't answer everything, just incite fury because if you start to try and explain the vast amount of variables, people will just get bored and tune out. Cops who are bad, who don't do their best by all, who mistreat and abuse their powers, think they're above the law, need to be identified, investigated swiftly and dealt with properly using the same judicial system that they attempt to flout against innocent (or not so innocent but deserve to be treated with humanity and have their welfare looked after) people.

You start throwing the word ALL around it has to come back and hit everyone in the face. All cops are bad, all lives matter, all people have a responsibility for their kids and the areas they live in. But the fact you can't use ALL.

Some cops are bad. Some people don't care about their neighbourhoods or their fellow brothers and sisters who walk the same pavements as them. Some people turn a blind eye to crime due to fear or lack of moral compass. Some people make mistakes. All people could act better!

Without a doubt, black lives matter, women's rights matter, the LGBTQ+ community matter. It's a modern world and lots of people, rules and regulations need to come out the dark ages and be transformed so it's fair for everybody and the ones who abuse the system or people need to be dealt with via a judicial system which reflects the fair and honest people it is there to protect.

Peaceful protests are great, some work most don't. The minority who use demonstrations as a way to loot, to commit crime, to get away with their violence, are as bad against the few they are protesting against. The only downside with protesting in this year is COVID. That doesn't discriminate against people. It's a fine line between protesting and actually not being stupid and spreading the devastating virus. I feel more people will be killed by the virus due to the feeling of the need and desire to protest. And that will have a more devastating impact than the point of the protest to highlight people should have equal rights.

Overhauls need to happen. Governments need to sit up and listen right now. But we as the people, as a whole, need to stand up and look out for each other and stand together and balanced to make sure everyone gets fairness. It doesn't matter if your politics are left, right, centre, upside down or inside out. It comes down to whether you're a good person or a bad person.

There was an incident in America where a black cop turned up to an incident and started to follow a black suspect. The cop was going to taser the black suspect but the black suspect pulled out a gun and shot the black cop and then ran away like the coward he was. I'm not over using the word black as a slur, but then what would be supporting, black lives matter so the suspect was fine to do that or the cop was bad because he targeted (as pointed out by witnesses) a black male suspect? It's kinda a rhetorical question but, because of the word ALL, that would make the black cop a bad guy despite being seriously, and nearly fatally hurt.

You could almost write out lines and at various points, insert all the taglines on rotation because one can support or negate, the various ideas and angers of people. E.g. All cops are bad... Apart from the ones who are great and help people. Black lives matter... But what about those who are paedophiles and rapists.

I just think its a messed up world and everyone is too quick to look at the labels on people rather than stop, think and listen to the examples from people who have faced injustice and inequality and where things need to change. Be excellent to each as you don't know when the protestor your facing or the uniformed officer your angry at, might just be the person to save your life.

Back to this point... Why do you encompass a whole movement by a few negative incidents and say it taints us but we should believe not all cops are bad?... Turn it around, why do you encompass the whole of Law Enforcement by negative incidents and say it taints them all but we should believe all protestors are peaceful and lawful?

I don't mean to appear to hypocritical or standing on one side or the other. It's just its not as simple as the chants and signs. Justice, change and reform yo benefit all of society and all wrong doers held to account swiftly. I hope I've explained my point clearly. Thanks.

I think the problem here is that you don’t understand the meaning of ACAB. ACAB essentially is referring to a flawed system where the institution’s training causes police to behave in the way that they do. It is not labelling all cops as being bad people. There may be some good ones but ACAB actually refers to the system, rather than the individual cops
Original post by Nevi
lololol of course I know. I didn’t want to include my whole life story as I have in other identical threads (it’s getting old and I cba to type it out again)

I have black friends that think the same as I do and white friends that joined the movement who seem to think Ive become a racist overnight for not joining in. I date an Asian girl and she is my world but she doesn’t want to support BLM because some black people criticised her for not joining in and told her her life was easy because she was Asian.

Its all so incendiary. Maybe from now on I should refer to people as Human because quite frankly I cba to list all the colours of the rainbow in my speech lol. HumanLivesMatter. 😂😂

No lives matter, Humans don't matter
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Why should someone’s opinion be accepted if it is that some people don’t deserve the same basic human rights as others? That’s like saying that someone has the opinion that paedophilia is ok and we should just accept and respect their opinion.

By the way you’re saying things, it really sounds like you do support the movement without realising it. Just because you’re not actively a part of it, it doesn’t mean you can’t agree with their values

BLM is an organisation more than a belief. i support blm but i can see why others dont
BLM is an organisation more than a belief. i support blm but i can see why others dont

How do you see why people don’t support it? (Genuine question)
Reply 10

I’m not trying to be rude or anything but by the way you’re saying things, it really sounds like you do support the movement without realising it. Just because you’re not actively a part of it, it doesn’t mean you can’t agree with their values

I don’t support the movement that has tried to bully me into protesting. I have no desire to stand by people who do that to people.

They seem to have an agenda against the police. I believe that not all police are racist. Lots are, but not all. Defunding the police wont solve anything, local police barely have enough resources as it is.

People saying I shouldn’t apply to or accept a place from Cambridge because its a racist institution, or that I should give up a job or uni offer in solidarity. I don’t see how that solves problems. Why? So someone else can take my place that I’ve worked hard for. I understand how privileged I am as a white person but I come from a working class background in a deprived area of the country, I deserve to be there as much as any other person (black white or green) does.

I don’t want to protest. Times are rough and quite frankly I have my own family to protect from the virus. I have lost people already and I refuse to lose any more.

Maybe some of the ‘values’ that have been preached to me are genuine, or maybe the people who said it to me are extremists. I don’t know. I cant tell. I wish there was a figurehead of the movement to shout it loud and clear exactly what the movement stands for. A MLK of our day. But I’m sure you can understand from my perspective why I want nothing to do with it. Its all political and divisive. :/
How do you see why people don’t support it? (Genuine question)

Because its an corporation thing and some people dont agree with some of its values against the police etc (however some ppl dont support it bcos theyre racist
I’ve seen more double standards from those who have been against the movement than those for it.

‘All live matters but white lives matter more

Black lives matter unless they have an different opinion.

Police brutality isn’t a big issue for black peoole but it’s a big one for white people

The aggressive protests at the beginning were bad but the peaceful protests now are even worse and are going too far’

It’s also eye opening how racist acts and people are rising since the movement started. Opposition begun with how BLM leaves out other races to now generalising them as huge racists and a need to aggressively beat them down under the guise of ‘law and order’
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nevi
I don’t support the movement that has tried to bully me into protesting. I have no desire to stand by people who do that to people.

They seem to have an agenda against the police. I believe that not all police are racist. Lots are, but not all. Defunding the police wont solve anything, local police barely have enough resources as it is.

People saying I shouldn’t apply to or accept a place from Cambridge because its a racist institution, or that I should give up a job or uni offer in solidarity. I don’t see how that solves problems. Why? So someone else can take my place that I’ve worked hard for. I understand how privileged I am as a white person but I come from a working class background in a deprived area of the country, I deserve to be there as much as any other person (black white or green) does.

I don’t want to protest. Times are rough and quite frankly I have my own family to protect from the virus. I have lost people already and I refuse to lose any more.

Maybe some of the ‘values’ that have been preached to me are genuine, or maybe the people who said it to me are extremists. I don’t know. I cant tell. I wish there was a figurehead of the movement to shout it loud and clear exactly what the movement stands for. A MLK of our day. But I’m sure you can understand from my perspective why I want nothing to do with it. Its all political and divisive. :/

I think you have had some bad experiences with some extreme people. I am an avid supporter of BLM but I have not been to, nor will I go to any protests because of corona virus. I support it by raising awareness on social media instead and having uncomfortable discussions with people when I hear racism.

I think the problem here is that you don’t understand the meaning of ACAB. ACAB essentially is referring to a flawed system where the institution’s training causes police to behave in the way that they do. It is not labelling all cops as being bad people. There may be some good ones but ACAB actually refers to the system, rather than the individual cops

Read this ^^. I think that you have also misunderstood the meaning of ACAB. As for defunding the police, I don’t think you have understood this concept fully either. It’s not just about taking away their resources, it is about reallocating the responsibility into other institutions to reduce crime rates. It is basically about adapting the system to be focused on there being less crime in the first place, rather than having a system that allows people to offend and then locks them up. Also, a lot of money goes into the police force that is needed much more elsewhere. 1 Police officer’s riot gear that is used for police brutality is the same price as PPE for THIRTY ONE nurses.

The Cambridge part is definitely out of order. Again, I think the people around you are being extreme. They shouldn’t be telling you to do that. If they truly understood the movement, they would realise that it’s not about stopping people from going to racist institutions but rather getting rid of the racism within that institution. Although this does not count for shops, businesses etc who can and should be boycotted if they have shown racist behaviour
Because its an corporation thing and some people dont agree with some of its values against the police etc (however some ppl dont support it bcos theyre racist

In my opinion, by not supporting you are either racist or not actively anti-racist and if you are not actively anti-racist, then you are essentially letting racism go on and are part of the problem.

I don’t think there’s any room for disagreeing with the BLM values. There’s nothing wrong with them in my opinion but if you can point out something specific, then I’m willing to listen.

There's no problem here and I do get it. A lot more than you may believe. The problem is the title, ALL COPS ARE *******S. Grammatically and literally its wrong (women can't be called *******s as per the definition so therefore the whole slur is wrong). It doesn't point to the system, it uses a term for uniformed officers who make up the front line. The term does label All Cops. It doesn't say policing system is crap it targets the individuals who put on the uniform rather than the system, purely for the wording used. It would be more accurate to use your definition but obviously it's not as cute and compact. Individual officers/officers of ranks who are racist and all what I said before should be targeted reported and dealt with using a system which works and is accountable. Not all police institutions training leads people to act the way this movement describes. Maybe I'm just fortunate but I was a cop for almost two decades and maybe I'm just lucky that every officer I worked with, and it was a massive diverse bunch of people I worked with, treated everyone with respect and according to our training, ethics and personal views. I treated everyone fairly and the same, one cause it was how I was brought up, two because I loved my job and wanted to do the best i could do and three because people I 'targeted' was due to information from witnesses and victims or based on solid grounds and intelligence. One of my points was the use of the word ALL. Words can be powerful and dangerous if used in the wrong way. It incenses people. Hence why ACAB is unfair and inaccurate and dangerous for the people who use it and for the ones who are in front of the ones who use it.
Of course all police aren't bad but as the saying goes "a few bad apples spoils the whole barrel".
Original post by DiddyDec
Of course all police aren't bad but as the saying goes "a few bad apples spoils the whole barrel".

True but by then your definition. All people are like that due to the bad apples in each sociological circle, way of life, groups etc. I could list examples but I think I've made my point. It would also apply to those involved in such movements too. Work on a net to catch the bad apples everywhere rather than let the good ones be affected. Which is basically what society and the judicial system are meant to be about.

And that's my point about the word All.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pcdc405
True but by then your definition. All people are like that due to the bad apples in each sociological circle, way of life, groups etc. I could list examples but I think I've made my point. It would also apply to those involved in such movements too. Work on a net to catch the bad apples everywhere rather than let the good ones be affected. Which is basically what society and the judicial system are meant to be about.

And that's my point about the word All.

It does apply to those movements but it is harder to pin down because BLM is not one group. It has become an umbrella term for many different groups with very different aims.

With the police on the other hand they are a clearly defined institution with clearly defined members allegedly held to a clearly defined set of rules.
Original post by pcdc405
There's no problem here and I do get it. A lot more than you may believe. The problem is the title, ALL COPS ARE *******S. Grammatically and literally its wrong (women can't be called *******s as per the definition so therefore the whole slur is wrong). It doesn't point to the system, it uses a term for uniformed officers who make up the front line. The term does label All Cops. It doesn't say policing system is crap it targets the individuals who put on the uniform rather than the system, purely for the wording used. It would be more accurate to use your definition but obviously it's not as cute and compact. Individual officers/officers of ranks who are racist and all what I said before should be targeted reported and dealt with using a system which works and is accountable. Not all police institutions training leads people to act the way this movement describes. Maybe I'm just fortunate but I was a cop for almost two decades and maybe I'm just lucky that every officer I worked with, and it was a massive diverse bunch of people I worked with, treated everyone with respect and according to our training, ethics and personal views. I treated everyone fairly and the same, one cause it was how I was brought up, two because I loved my job and wanted to do the best i could do and three because people I 'targeted' was due to information from witnesses and victims or based on solid grounds and intelligence. One of my points was the use of the word ALL. Words can be powerful and dangerous if used in the wrong way. It incenses people. Hence why ACAB is unfair and inaccurate and dangerous for the people who use it and for the ones who are in front of the ones who use it.

I do see your point and I actually do agree with you about ACAB being a poor choice of words. I suppose you are right that it is slightly unfair but the main goal of BLM is to sort out the institutional racism so I still support it. Despite the poor choice of words, the intention is in the right place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending