The Student Room Group

Student Finance - divorced parents

Asking for someone else. If your parents are divorced, are your loan/grants calculated on their joint income or the income of the parent you live with? I'm guessing the former but I'm not in this situation so need to check.

Also, if a parent doesn't want to give their details, does this mean you can't apply for income assessed? And if they did give their details do they stay private from the child? (I mean obviously you'd be able to guess based on the calculator thing but I'm talking about the forms...)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The parent they live with, but have fun sending the evidence (ie divorce papers). I had to send mine twice because they decided to send it back without recording it.
The income of the one you live with. Because it's 'Household' income.
That's how I did it anyway :smile:
Original post by misst911
The parent they live with, but have fun sending the evidence (ie divorce papers). I had to send mine twice because they decided to send it back without recording it.

I never had to send papers like that... my parents were still married, but seperated and living apart...
Hope I don't have to send it this year or I'll have problems :/
Reply 4
Original post by rachelkeira
I never had to send papers like that... my parents were still married, but seperated and living apart...
Hope I don't have to send it this year or I'll have problems :/

Presumably it's only for divorce then :dontknow:
If the parent you live with will not send their income evidence in then yiu won't get any grant or bursaries and will only get the minimum maintenance loan.
Reply 6
Really? I know that if you're applying as an independent you have to prove you have no contact with your parents... surely if your parents are divorced and you still see the parent you don't live with they should be expected to fund you in the same way as the parent you do live with?
Reply 7
Original post by hypocriticaljap
If the parent you live with will not send their income evidence in then yiu won't get any grant or bursaries and will only get the minimum maintenance loan.

So it's only the parent you live with that has to submit info?
if divorced - yes.
Reply 9
Original post by hypocriticaljap
if divorced - yes.

What about if seperated?
as long as proof of legal separation is provided then yes.
Proof is a solicitor's letter or a council tax single person payment proof.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's household income, so your dad could be a millionaire but it won't count if you don't live with him.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
It's household income, so your dad could be a millionaire but it won't count if you don't live with him.

It will if they are not legally separated.
A family home in the cotswolds and dad spending each weekday in a London flat won't work.
Reply 13
Thanks everyone :smile: Bit of a weird system but it will work out well for my friend.
Learn from the "rich kids" - always claim you live with the poorest parent. Then get the well-off parent to subsidise your lifestyle through college. Best of both worlds. :smile:
What if one of your parents lives with a partner? Does this count too?
Reply 16
If I live with my parent with higher income. Can I say I live with my other parent in order to get a larger loan? Do they actually check where I legally live?
Reply 17
I have been pondering on this question also?? Did you apply accordingly?? Thanks
Reply 18
Original post by Logie
If I live with my parent with higher income. Can I say I live with my other parent in order to get a larger loan? Do they actually check where I legally live?

I was wondering about this too. Did you find an answer?
Original post by Ahsese
I was wondering about this too. Did you find an answer?

Hi did you ever find an answer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending