The Student Room Group

Please help me x

Hi, can I have help please
I have to choose my alevels, but I am a bit conflicted - I want to do psychology a level as I am really interested in it but I’ve always love doing physics and would love to do that with a level. However, in my school they said if you do physics you have to take maths, I’m okay at maths but I wasn’t looking to continue it. I would put in the work for maths and get a tutor if need be but basically should I do psychology or physics?

My other options are biology, chemistry, physics or psychology
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, can I have help please
I have to choose my alevels, but I am a bit conflicted - I want to do psychology a level as I am really interested in it but I’ve always love doing physics and would love to do that with a level. However, in my school they said if you do physics you have to take maths, I’m okay at maths but I wasn’t looking to continue it. I would put in the work for maths and get a tutor if need be but basically should I do psychology or physics?

My other options are biology, chemistry, physics or psychology

I haven't taken A-Levels, but if you really are passionate about physics then surely it would be worth putting in the extra effort for maths?
Reply 2
Original post by MrSandyWilly
I haven't taken A-Levels, but if you really are passionate about physics then surely it would be worth putting in the extra effort for maths?

thank you
What do you want to go on to do at uni?
Original post by GabiAbi84
What do you want to go on to do at uni?

I dont really know yet but im thinking a medicinal route so from saying that, physics seems like the obvious option lmaoo
Original post by Msbrownie.xo
I dont really know yet but im thinking a medicinal route so from saying that, physics seems like the obvious option lmaoo

Medicinal? Like Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Biotechnology or Biomedical Engineering?
Original post by Msbrownie.xo

If you're going the medicinal route then you're very mistaken about Physics being the obvious option, it's pretty much useless for medicine and related fields.

Also have a look at what sort of courses you want to do on UCAS and see what the entry requirements are. You'll find most medicine and related courses want you to have at least Biology. For most of the courses, they want Biology, Chemistry and Maths A Levels at very high grades.
(edited 3 years ago)
Physics A Level is very heavily maths based - there's a reason most schools insist people who physics A Level also do maths. It would make your life so much easier - especially if you did the mechanics modules in maths. Physics at A Level is also a lot more difficult than GCSE - GCSE in comparison was a picnic so I'd only recommmend physics to people who have more of a logical mindset (I.e. Very good at problem solving quickly) as opposed to someone who can just memorise really well.
You don’t have to do maths or instead do physics at a tuition place
There definitely is a lot of overlap between maths and physics, and physics in particular is known as a very hard A-level. I understand your school's caution.

I suspect you are saying you want to do medicine, in which case Bio+chem+one other keeps almost every option open. There is a slight correlation with maths doing better in the BMAT, and slight correlation with people who do psychology doing worse in getting offers, but its only correlation and only slight.

Quick Reply

Latest