The Student Room Group

I'm going to be year 10 after summer, how can I prepare for it to get a better grade?

I have started remaking all my science notes on my iPad because they weren't very organised for the bits i did in yr 9. Any tips to start on the right track? In other words, what would you do if you can start year 10 all over again?

I chose theology, history, computer science, French, Latin, greek, and mandarin. Plus the math English and science.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Linda_Liu2006
I have started remaking all my science notes on my iPad because they weren't very organised for the bits i did in yr 9. Any tips to start on the right track? I chose theology, history, computer science, French, Latin, greek, and mandarin. Plus the math English and science.

For science, there is no point re writing notes over and over if you dont understand it and it doesnt go in your head. You should take a more active approach and make flashcards so its quicker to read and learn, as well as doing online quizlets to test your memory on a topic. You should start doing past paper questions to see the type of questions that will come up in the exam and will prepare you a lot more and also memorise your revision guide if you have a test to do.

For history, its all about factual recall so the best thing to do is to create mindmaps of all the textbook knowledge and also learn your revision guide off by heart for history. More you learn, easier the questions become.

For english, you should watch mr bruff on youtube and aim to copy his notes and take m his approach; for english literature, find detailed annotations online and especially for the poems, its best you use online notes as well as your own to boost your grade. I know in year 11 for english literature my current grade was 6 but i ended up coming out with an 8 so hope that helps:smile:
Original post by Anonymous26101
For science, there is no point re writing notes over and over if you dont understand it and it doesnt go in your head. You should take a more active approach and make flashcards so its quicker to read and learn, as well as doing online quizlets to test your memory on a topic. You should start doing past paper questions to see the type of questions that will come up in the exam and will prepare you a lot more and also memorise your revision guide if you have a test to do.

For history, its all about factual recall so the best thing to do is to create mindmaps of all the textbook knowledge and also learn your revision guide off by heart for history. More you learn, easier the questions become.

For english, you should watch mr bruff on youtube and aim to copy his notes and take m his approach; for english literature, find detailed annotations online and especially for the poems, its best you use online notes as well as your own to boost your grade. I know in year 11 for english literature my current grade was 6 but i ended up coming out with an 8 so hope that helps:smile:

Hi, thank you so much this really helped!!! For science, because I didn't really organised my notes previously so I'm doing them again to make it easier for revision. The history and English lit tips were great!! I will have a look at them.

Have a good day : )
I am only good on science but what I advised my daughter to do was to be very aware of the exam board specification - once you finish a topic go and look at the spec and see if you have covered everything, then get hold of as many past papers as you can and try to do the questions. Use the mark scheme to check whether you answered fully enough to get all the marks. You need to remember that once you finish a topic then that is it and you are unlikely to go back to it, except maybe a bit of revision in class but science subjects often run very close to the end as there is so much content. If you keep this up along the way then there won't be a big need to cram at the end.
Reply 4
I have started remaking all my science notes on my iPad because they weren't very organised for the bits i did in yr 9. Any tips to start on the right track? In other words, what would you do if you can start year 10 all over again?

I chose theology, history, computer science, French, Latin, greek, and mandarin. Plus the math English and science.

4 languages seems tricky.

I’ve never really been one to make notes or flash cards, seems like people spend more time making notes/flash cards than actually trying to understand the subject.
For sciences, khan academy videos on YouTube are great. YouTube videos are also great for maths.
I think the most important thing is to not rely on your teacher. Most people think 80% of the work you do should be at school and 20% at home, in reality it should be the other way around. I tried to use the summer holidays to get ahead (while also ensuring you have a well deserved rest) and try to stay ahead throughout the year. That way when you go to lessons, it’s more of a recap and you could ask more advanced questions. I also learned things at a deeper level than required (probably at least A level standard) for GCSEs, mainly in maths and the sciences, and then GCSEs seem so much easier.
I agree with what others have said. Go through the specification which is published on the exam boards websites and make sure you know everything on there, tick things off as you go along. Also going through past paper questions is a really good way to work on exam technique and what the exam boards expect of you.

This is what seemed to work for me, it may not work for everyone, everyone learns differently. I managed to get 7A*, 2A, 1A^ (A* with distinction in level 2 further maths) at GCSE, and 4A* at A level.

Year 10 is a really good time to start. It’s plenty of time to really get your head down. I probably started working hard half way in to year 10.
Original post by Jpw1097

I’ve never really been one to make notes or flash cards, seems like people spend more time making notes/flash cards than actually trying to understand the subject.
For sciences, khan academy videos on YouTube are great. YouTube videos are also great for maths.
I think the most important thing is to not rely on your teacher. Most people think 80% of the work you do should be at school and 20% at home, in reality it should be the other way around. I tried to use the summer holidays to get ahead (while also ensuring you have a well deserved rest) and try to stay ahead throughout the year. That way when you go to lessons, it’s more of a recap and you could ask more advanced questions. I also learned things at a deeper level than required (probably at least A level standard) for GCSEs, mainly in maths and the sciences, and then GCSEs seem so much easier.
I agree with what others have said. Go through the specification which is published on the exam boards websites and make sure you know everything on there, tick things off as you go along. Also going through past paper questions is a really good way to work on exam technique and what the exam boards expect of you.

This is what seemed to work for me, it may not work for everyone, everyone learns differently. I managed to get 7A*, 2A, 1A^ (A* with distinction in level 2 further maths) at GCSE, and 4A* at A level.

Year 10 is a really good time to start. It’s plenty of time to really get your head down. I probably started working hard half way in to year 10.

What subjects did you take at A level? Im in year 13 idk what to expect from results day
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous26101
What subjects did you take at A level? Im in year 13 idk what to expect from results day

Biology, chemistry, physics, maths.
Original post by ReadingMum
I am only good on science but what I advised my daughter to do was to be very aware of the exam board specification - once you finish a topic go and look at the spec and see if you have covered everything, then get hold of as many past papers as you can and try to do the questions. Use the mark scheme to check whether you answered fully enough to get all the marks. You need to remember that once you finish a topic then that is it and you are unlikely to go back to it, except maybe a bit of revision in class but science subjects often run very close to the end as there is so much content. If you keep this up along the way then there won't be a big need to cram at the end.

Hi! Thank you so much! I have been organising my notes according to the spec, and so I can make sure I covered everything the examiner is looking for and I can revise in a logical order. This has been really helpful : )
Original post by Jpw1097

Hi! Thank you so much!

Mandarin is my first language, I'm not that good to ensure I'll get a* for the literature so I'll be basically doing the csl, which should be very easy! As for French, Latin and Greek, I'm thinking about dropping 1 or 2 if they really don't work.

I found some great resources on Youtube, sometimes I just hope to find the videos according to my spec though but it doesn't always work. ( Mine is edexcel igcse) But most of the time there are amazing videos covering what I needed the most, even if they don't follow the spec-it doesn't matter.

How do you learn at A level standard when preparing for GCSE? For example, how do you find related topics and study them yourself?

When do you suggest to start to work on the past papers?

Have a great day!

Linda
Reply 9

im going into year 10 aswell woooo i chose media and drama and history and spanish
Original post by Aryz
im going into year 10 aswell woooo i chose media and drama and history and spanish

haha good luck! I'm not rly stressed but wanna get ready for the new course. tbh kinda excited!
Reply 11
haha good luck! I'm not rly stressed but wanna get ready for the new course. tbh kinda excited!

same lol we can do this :biggrin:
Hey guys, any tips on english lit? my teachers haven't gave us the books yet and i tried to read the spec though it's so hard to understand😭
I'm not sure how to prepare beforehand but when you go back to school, come prepared with a good attitude. Listen to absolutely everything your teacher says and if you don't understand something you have to ask questions because this is where I lacked in GCSEs! Write up your notes from each lessons for the future you and you'll do fine :smile:
Original post by chloenix
I'm not sure how to prepare beforehand but when you go back to school, come prepared with a good attitude. Listen to absolutely everything your teacher says and if you don't understand something you have to ask questions because this is where I lacked in GCSEs! Write up your notes from each lessons for the future you and you'll do fine :smile:

Thank you! What subjects did you take? I will make sure to do my notes well as I've heard they are very important : )
Reply 15
great advice what year are u in
For languages, just learn the vocabulary and the grammar. Quizlet and Duolingo are great sites for languages.
Thank you! What subjects did you take? I will make sure to do my notes well as I've heard they are very important : )

I took the core subjects (obviously) as wells as:
French, Spanish, Geography, History, Graphics and RE :smile:
Aww that’s so nice! Thank u
how do i revise maths

Quick Reply

Latest