The Student Room Group

Tips

I'm in year 10 and will be sitting GCSE's next year. I have missed a whole term due to lockdown and feel like I haven't learnt anything in lockdown. I am really stressed out about next year and wanted to ask for any tips or advice?
Original post by ViperStudent
I'm in year 10 and will be sitting GCSE's next year. I have missed a whole term due to lockdown and feel like I haven't learnt anything in lockdown. I am really stressed out about next year and wanted to ask for any tips or advice?

You have a month and a half till the new year starts, sit down and start studying! I’m a year 13 student who’s currently quite worried about the prospectus of their university placement, and even though I am no longer am or will be in full time education (sixth form), I haven’t slacked off. I’m still studying my a level content in case I have to give the autumn exams.

Make a timetable, pull out your notes and revision books, use online resources, practice past papers, I guarantee you’ll do great. If you’re still struggling, email your respective subject teachers via email and ask for advice, you’d be surprised how much they’d help a student who’s willing to learn
Reply 2
Hello!
I am so sorry for you, it has been a difficult time and you’ve done so well to get through it so far.
My top tip is to take time to make notes now. Keep going and take an opportunity to get your base for year 10 as strong as you can. You learn quite a few newer ideas in year 11 so the clearer you could get these concepts in your mind, the quicker you will grasp onto the new content :smile:
I recommend using Seneca, a quick and easy way to revise over everything and make notes for your flash cards. It’s very interactive and it is super easy to pick up and do any time! Use it alongside a school textbook so you can fill in any gaps of knowledge you have and it’s a perfect combination!
Good luck :h:
Reply 3
I’m currently in year 12 and I feel you stressed out about my AS results as there going to be predicted but as mentioned above just start making notes the minute ur in year 11 or even now in the holidays because it’s sooo worth it as by the time exam season comes your gojng to be so stressed wishing u made ur notes before (I did) also do past papers and memorise your content as you go along
Go easy on yourself I’d say revise like a subject everyday after school it’d be totally worth it but good luck into year 11 :smile:
Original post by Hallowkin
You have a month and a half till the new year starts, sit down and start studying! I’m a year 13 student who’s currently quite worried about the prospectus of their university placement, and even though I am no longer am or will be in full time education (sixth form), I haven’t slacked off. I’m still studying my a level content in case I have to give the autumn exams.

Make a timetable, pull out your notes and revision books, use online resources, practice past papers, I guarantee you’ll do great. If you’re still struggling, email your respective subject teachers via email and ask for advice, you’d be surprised how much they’d help a student who’s willing to learn

Thank you so much for this wonderful advice and I'll be sure to make good use of this summer. All these things sound like such great advice so thank you. :smile:
Original post by Moonbow
Hello!
I am so sorry for you, it has been a difficult time and you’ve done so well to get through it so far.
My top tip is to take time to make notes now. Keep going and take an opportunity to get your base for year 10 as strong as you can. You learn quite a few newer ideas in year 11 so the clearer you could get these concepts in your mind, the quicker you will grasp onto the new content :smile:
I recommend using Seneca, a quick and easy way to revise over everything and make notes for your flash cards. It’s very interactive and it is super easy to pick up and do any time! Use it alongside a school textbook so you can fill in any gaps of knowledge you have and it’s a perfect combination!
Good luck :h:

Thank you. I am fairly new to Seneca but a lot of my teachers have set me bridging work on there so I will probably be able to familiarise myself with it. :smile:
Original post by Sxmx
I’m currently in year 12 and I feel you stressed out about my AS results as there going to be predicted but as mentioned above just start making notes the minute ur in year 11 or even now in the holidays because it’s sooo worth it as by the time exam season comes your gojng to be so stressed wishing u made ur notes before (I did) also do past papers and memorise your content as you go along
Go easy on yourself I’d say revise like a subject everyday after school it’d be totally worth it but good luck into year 11 :smile:

Thank you I haven't made any revision notes yet so I think I'll start now in summer because year 11 will probably be quite busy. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ViperStudent
Thank you. I am fairly new to Seneca but a lot of my teachers have set me bridging work on there so I will probably be able to familiarise myself with it. :smile:

Oh my goodness hello again! I didn’t realise it was you! :biggrin:
Seneca is absolutely wonderful to use but remember, like I said, use it alongside other sources as it can get slightly short and almost too brief but with your summer work it should be perfect!
Good luck! 🥳🥳
Original post by Moonbow
Oh my goodness hello again! I didn’t realise it was you! :biggrin:
Seneca is absolutely wonderful to use but remember, like I said, use it alongside other sources as it can get slightly short and almost too brief but with your summer work it should be perfect!
Good luck! 🥳🥳

:biggrin:
Hello,
I will definitely use some other resources. I figured Seneca must be something like that because the amount of work my teachers have set on it wouldn't make sense otherwise. But thank you for all the great advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest