The Student Room Group

Bristol vs. Nottingham vs. Exeter

Hi guys!
I have received offers from University of Bristol, University of Exeter and University of Nottingham for Law LLB course
I am really confused as the rankings are vary from site to site.
Please help!
Original post by parxi
Hi guys!
I have received offers from University of Bristol, University of Exeter and University of Nottingham for Law LLB course
I am really confused as the rankings are vary from site to site.
Please help!

League tables are confusing because they all measure different things so you need to consider whether what they are measuring is important to you. In the U.K most advisers use the complete university guide but you shouldn’t worry too much about league tables as they are only a guide. Bristol has the highest entry requirements and has a slightly better reputation prestige wise but there is really very little to choose between Nottingham and Exeter apart from the fact that the cities are completely different so it depends if you prefer smaller cities or larger more multicultural ones
Reply 2
Hi there,

This is a pretty good one for me as I'm from Bristol, attend Exeter studying law and also extensively looked at Nottingham and also opted for it.

First of all, ignore league tables. They vary because there is no definitive "better" uni. The difference between the three is pretty negligible and no employer in the firms I presume you're aiming for is going to favour you because you chose one over the other.

Think about the other factors that matter to you - Exeter is a smaller city and a campus uni; Bristol is bigger and a city uni; Nottingham is a decently sized city but also a campus. Nottingham is in the Midlands area, while the other two are down South. Do you want a campus uni or prefer the city life?

Those are the factors you should be looking at; I'm happy to answer any questions.
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
League tables are confusing because they all measure different things so you need to consider whether what they are measuring is important to you. In the U.K most advisers use the complete university guide but you shouldn’t worry too much about league tables as they are only a guide. Bristol has the highest entry requirements and has a slightly better reputation prestige wise but there is really very little to choose between Nottingham and Exeter apart from the fact that the cities are completely different so it depends if you prefer smaller cities or larger more multicultural ones

I’m looking for multicultural city that will provide me better internship opportunities
Original post by parxi
I’m looking for multicultural city that will provide me better internship opportunities

Nottingham would be a good choice in that case
Reply 5
Original post by Arisapo
Hi there,

This is a pretty good one for me as I'm from Bristol, attend Exeter studying law and also extensively looked at Nottingham and also opted for it.

First of all, ignore league tables. They vary because there is no definitive "better" uni. The difference between the three is pretty negligible and no employer in the firms I presume you're aiming for is going to favour you because you chose one over the other.

Think about the other factors that matter to you - Exeter is a smaller city and a campus uni; Bristol is bigger and a city uni; Nottingham is a decently sized city but also a campus. Nottingham is in the Midlands area, while the other two are down South. Do you want a campus uni or prefer the city life?

Those are the factors you should be looking at; I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thank you!
I’ve heard a lot of criticism for accommodation campuses in Nottingham and Bristol. But I am looking for a city university. Can you suggest some alternate accommodation facilities for university students in Bristol?
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
Nottingham would be a good choice in that case

Thank you, will look into that
Original post by parxi
Thank you!
I’ve heard a lot of criticism for accommodation campuses in Nottingham and Bristol. But I am looking for a city university. Can you suggest some alternate accommodation facilities for university students in Bristol?

I have heard bad things about accommodation for Bristol students too, but only for those who got in via Clearing/Adjustment last year because they were sent miles away from Bristol city itself
Reply 8
Original post by parxi
Thank you!

If you want a city university, that really rules out Nottingham and Exeter as they’re both campuses.

As for Bristol accommodation, I would presume most would already have applied for accommodation, even if you’re guaranteed it with your offer. Better not to delay as they have thrown students far away from the actual uni in previous years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending