The Student Room Group

UK Policeman Suspended After Kneeling on Kneck of Black Man

I mean “the UK is innocent though” 🤨 “Could never happen here”.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/uk-policeman-suspended-for-kneeling-on-black-mans-neck/1914301

The spoiler contains an image of the incident

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do these white police officers ever learn In the USA or UK? What a disgrace! Black people generally know that the police forces in USA and the UK cannot be trusted when they are dealing with black people!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53443641
Original post by nathan_nacu
I mean “the UK is innocent though” 🤨 “Could never happen here”.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/uk-policeman-suspended-for-kneeling-on-black-mans-neck/1914301

59F210F2-8E97-48AC-BC7C-5B26599CF7C3.jpg.jpeg

If it’s happened to him then it’s almost certainly happened to a white person to
Original post by daveymcloughlin
If it’s happened to him then it’s almost certainly happened to a white person to

Yes and that’s even worse. Tbh I didn’t even know the person was black when i saw the video I thought they were white as their skin was rather light till i saw an article. The outrage I’d feel is still the same. The police abuse their power and we need to do something about it. I think of how many people got away with this simply because they weren’t being recorded.
Reply 4
Seeing as you're conflating this with racism, might one ask you show me where restraining a criminal (in an admittedly dubious manner) has anything to do with it?

Yes and that’s even worse. Tbh I didn’t even know the person was black when i saw the video I thought they were white as their skin was rather light till i saw an article. The outrage I’d feel is still the same. The police abuse their power and we need to do something about it. I think of how many people got away with this simply because they weren’t being recorded.

They may well do but from this article they dont seem to have done anything overly bad, bar having the situational awareness of roadkill.
I heard about this on Triggernometry. Why no link to the video?

Yes the police do abuse their power 100%
The guy has been charged with having a knife I think, pinning him down by the neck for seconds is not bad.
Original post by mgi
Do these white police officers ever learn In the USA or UK? What a disgrace! Black people generally know that the police forces in USA and the UK cannot be trusted when they are dealing with black people!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53443641

There needs to be education on how to approach a civilian regardless of their race or gender. It is insane to arrest an individual in such an aggressive manner.
Reply 9
Original post by Wired_1800
There needs to be education on how to approach a civilian regardless of their race or gender. It is insane to arrest an individual in such an aggressive manner.

And what if they're resisting? It being somewhat unlikely a thug is going to politely get into the paddy wagon simply by being asked.
Reply 10
Original post by Roidrage69
The guy has been charged with having a knife I think, pinning him down by the neck for seconds is not bad.

Heaven forbid the met arrest a violent armed criminal right?:wink:
This was clearly not a good idea given recent events but to compare this to what happened to George Floyd is embarrassing and shows an obvious a ‘anti-police’ agenda.

This man was in possession of a deadly weapon, George Floyd wasn’t. This man appeared to be resisting arrest, George Floyd wasn’t. Derek Chauvin was pinning all of his wait, through his knee, on to George Floyd’s neck, this police officer wasn’t. I could go on listing differences but I’m sure any objective person can already understand.
Original post by Napp
And what if they're resisting? It being somewhat unlikely a thug is going to politely get into the paddy wagon simply by being asked.

Their resisting arresting does not mean that the officer becomes aggressive towards the individual. There should be ways to de-escalate situations, but I fear that some officers may escalate the situation.
Reply 13
Their resisting arresting does not mean that the officer becomes aggressive towards the individual. There should be ways to de-escalate situations, but I fear that some officers may escalate the situation.

Actually thats exactly what it means, especially if they're armed - like this one was.
The second point is true but its anything but universally applicable. The way of doing things being if the person resists to detain them appropriately.. from this (aside from poor optics) the officer doesn't seem to have done anything wrong. Him kneeling on the person for a few seconds, not throttling him or beating him to a pulp. Never mind the lunatics attributing this to "racism" despite no evidence to that effect.
Original post by Napp
Actually thats exactly what it means, especially if they're armed - like this one was.
The second point is true but its anything but universally applicable. The way of doing things being if the person resists to detain them appropriately.. from this (aside from poor optics) the officer doesn't seem to have done anything wrong. Him kneeling on the person for a few seconds, not throttling him or beating him to a pulp. Never mind the lunatics attributing this to "racism" despite no evidence to that effect.

I think British policing should be different to American ‘war-like’ form of policing. I understand that with gun laws, police officers in the US may have clear reasons for self-protection. However, in the UK, officers should not be using such tactics as kneeling on one’s neck or multiple individuals piling on an individual.

It seems, to me, that some officers are probably not trained well enough on how to disarm an individual with a knife. It was even more important to see that the Deputy Met Commissioner publicly denounced such tactics as not used or advised in the police force.

To your point, I agree that it was poor optics. With community relations being at a particularly low point, seeing a white officer kneeling on the neck of the black man had signs of the George Floyd case, even though the London individual was indeed carrying a weapon. I think officers need to learn to be able disarm an individual with a knife.
Reply 15
I think British policing should be different to American ‘war-like’ form of policing. I understand that with gun laws, police officers in the US may have clear reasons for self-protection. However, in the UK, officers should not be using such tactics as kneeling on one’s neck or multiple individuals piling on an individual.

It seems, to me, that some officers are probably not trained well enough on how to disarm an individual with a knife. It was even more important to see that the Deputy Met Commissioner publicly denounced such tactics as not used or advised in the police force.

To your point, I agree that it was poor optics. With community relations being at a particularly low point, seeing a white officer kneeling on the neck of the black man had signs of the George Floyd case, even though the London individual was indeed carrying a weapon. I think officers need to learn to be able disarm an individual with a knife.

Indeed. But it already is though, i mean, comparing your averege bobby to what you see in America is ludicrous. You, to a vague degree, have a point on kneeling on knecks but as to piling on someone... well if theyre resisting arrest and thats the only way to get them in cuffs, so be it. After all, i think most would agree that theyd rather see some odious criminal get a couple of bruises than escape to terrorise the community.

Mmm, again, too a point. Naturally some officers are either incompetent/untrained but i really don't see the issue on this one. As i said, aside from the unfortunate timing this would never have raised an eyebrow before due to it being such a non event.

True say. Although, i do stand by the fact that if a criminal is trying to escape the officers should be free to use such methods to restrain them before they can be cuffed (like in this instance). It being wholly different from simply sitting on someones throat for the sake of it.
It does raise an interesting question though, as several people seem to have implied, should police molly coddle criminals simply because of their race? The only thing people seem to be getting upset with about this instance is that it happened to be a black who was restrained. I mean, especially in this case, i find it very hard to sympathise with a thug who was carrying a deadling weapon (and who we can thus assume was prepared to use it) .. you can either abhor knife crime and want it stamped out or not here.
Reply 16
I thought we might get people on this thread who say foolishness like : " kneeling on the person for a few seconds, not throttling him or beating him to a pulp. Never mind the lunatics attributing this to "racism" despite no evidence to that effect." What these dubious posters need to understand is that kneeling on a suspect's neck or head is not an police agreed method of restraint. And just randomly dismissing these restraint methods of white officers in the Usa and the UK against black people as not racist- well that is the real lunacy.
Of course one cannot expect some people to see racism against black people,,no matter how blatant and no matter how many similar incidents happen!
I do not respond directly to posters who view actions like this as nothing to do with racism/ racial profiling!
Happily, mobile phones allow recording of the actions of police officers who the black community suspect of racial profiling and use of illegal methods of restraint.
Original post by Napp
Indeed. But it already is though, i mean, comparing your averege bobby to what you see in America is ludicrous. You, to a vague degree, have a point on kneeling on knecks but as to piling on someone... well if theyre resisting arrest and thats the only way to get them in cuffs, so be it. After all, i think most would agree that theyd rather see some odious criminal get a couple of bruises than escape to terrorise the community.

Mmm, again, too a point. Naturally some officers are either incompetent/untrained but i really don't see the issue on this one. As i said, aside from the unfortunate timing this would never have raised an eyebrow before due to it being such a non event.

True say. Although, i do stand by the fact that if a criminal is trying to escape the officers should be free to use such methods to restrain them before they can be cuffed (like in this instance). It being wholly different from simply sitting on someones throat for the sake of it.
It does raise an interesting question though, as several people seem to have implied, should police molly coddle criminals simply because of their race? The only thing people seem to be getting upset with about this instance is that it happened to be a black who was restrained. I mean, especially in this case, i find it very hard to sympathise with a thug who was carrying a deadling weapon (and who we can thus assume was prepared to use it) .. you can either abhor knife crime and want it stamped out or not here.

I dont agree. I dont think any officer or group of officers should approach an individual with the manner that you have stated in your post. It is the reason why I value community policing where individuals policing the area are from the said area. It would be hard for Officer Joe to slam Craig on the floor in public, in an attempt to arrest him, but then go about his business in the same community the next day. This is especially if they both come from the same community.

You also have to remember that in many cases there are no clear evidence of an offence or crime being committed, but more of suspicion through a tipoff or surveillance. In those instances, it is ridiculous to aggressively approach an individual based on suspicion. What happens, if the individual was indeed not carrying a knife? Would the officer just said “ah, sorry about your cracked ribs. We thought you had a knife on you.”?

Just to be clear, I am talking about individuals who are stopped on the street and not those involved in committing an active crime. I still state that officers should be able to use de-escalation techniques and seek to disarm an individual rather than aggravate or attack the individual. Some of the techniques by certain officers would have been called physical assaults, if they were done by one random person to another.

I watched a video on Instagram of an officer bodyslam an individual, who he was trying to arrest. The man ended up with a broken jaw and cracked ribs. In any other situation, that would have been physical assault.
Looks like there were two threads made on this so I've merged them both and added a content warning label to the thread. :yy:
Original post by Napp
Heaven forbid the met arrest a violent armed criminal right?:wink:

I'm not sure anyone is disputing that they should have been arrested. Unless I've missed something here? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending