The Student Room Group

Do I need good GCSEs and A levels to get into a top uni or Just Good A levels?

I'm not thinking of applying to to a super top uni ( like Cambridge or Oxford) but I was just wondering will my mediocre GCSE grades hinder me.
I'm currently getting very high in my AS papers but my GCSE grades are pretty mediocre
I want to apply for a STEM carrer in the future (at a high ranking uni)
however I only got 2 8s (both in combined science), two 6s plus a merit (one of them being a very high level 6 in maths) and the rest are 5s (Spanish is one of them)
will these GCSE grades stop me from getting into a top uni despite having good A level grades?
I was thinking of taking a gap year before I go uni so I can retake my english language and spanish to try and get a grade 6
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Saturn
I'm not thinking of applying to to a super top uni ( like Cambridge or Oxford) but I was just wondering will my mediocre GCSE grades hinder me.
I'm currently getting very high in my AS papers but my GCSE grades are pretty mediocre
however I only got 2 8s (both in combined science), two 6s plus a merit (one of them being a very high level 6 in maths) and the rest are 5s (Spanish is one of them)
will these GCSE grades stop me from getting into a top uni despite having good A level grades?
I was thinking of taking a gap year before I go uni so I can retake my english language and spanish to try and get a grade 6

😂😂😂
They might for Oxford who rely on GCSEs more than most other universities. For science courses your Maths grade might prove a problem but you will need to check the course and university entry requirements. English language might be a problem for a couple of universities. Spanish wont matter.

I wouldnt suggest a resit. Most universities you will get in with what you have.. Kings sometimes ask for a 6 in English language so avoid there and there maybe 1 or 2 others.

Have a look at the entry requirements for the courses and universities you are thinking about before applying. Personally I would avoid Oxford and Kings and possibly Imperial and UCL. I suspect nearly everywhere else you will be fine.
Reply 3
Just good A-levels. Some unis may ask for a 6 in English language; Imperial do. You don't really need to take a gap year just to resit that though
For Oxbridge, GCSEs are part of the application process and weight fairly heavily, so your grades probably will hinder you there, but if the rest of your application is spectacular you might be in with a chance.

Don't resit, it usually looks bad and you'll kick yourself if you resit and still don't get into Oxbridge, it will have been a waste. I'd suggest you apply to Oxbridge just to see but also apply to other unis, which won't weight GCSEs that heavily.
Original post by daveymcloughlin
😂😂😂

No need to laugh at him, he's just asking for advice:frown:
Original post by chloenix
No need to laugh at him, he's just asking for advice:frown:

He already knows the answer. He’s just here to show off

He's not showing off? He got 'bad' GCSE grades (under Oxbridge standards anyway) so there's not much to show off...
Make sure that you meet the minimum GCSE requirements for your course & put max effort into your A-Levels
He's not showing off? He got 'bad' GCSE grades (under Oxbridge standards anyway) so there's not much to show off...

Exhibit 789 of the student room only caring about oxbridge
Exhibit 789 of the student room only caring about oxbridge

I wouldn't say it's TSR caring about Oxbridge. It's just OP in particular so obviously we're going to give him advice on that?
I agree, but there's no need to invalidate OP's ambition.
Long as you have a B for maths and English language you’ll be cool
Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
They might for Oxford who rely on GCSEs more than most other universities. For science courses your Maths grade might prove a problem but you will need to check the course and university entry requirements. English language might be a problem for a couple of universities. Spanish wont matter.

I wouldnt suggest a resit. Most universities you will get in with what you have.. Kings sometimes ask for a 6 in English language so avoid there and there maybe 1 or 2 others.

Have a look at the entry requirements for the courses and universities you are thinking about before applying. Personally I would avoid Oxford and Kings and possibly Imperial and UCL. I suspect nearly everywhere else you will be fine.

Yea I was actually looking at applying to manchester uni, I have the required GCSE grades to get in there so thanks
Reply 14

Showing off what and to who? I'm literally just asking if I can get into a good university with my GCSE results you weirdo
Reply 15
Yea I didn't want to apply there anyway I was actually looking at manchester but thanks
Reply 16
Original post by AM.TSR
Make sure that you meet the minimum GCSE requirements for your course & put max effort into your A-Levels

Thanks dood
Reply 17
For Oxbridge, GCSEs are part of the application process and weight fairly heavily, so your grades probably will hinder you there, but if the rest of your application is spectacular you might be in with a chance.

Don't resit, it usually looks bad and you'll kick yourself if you resit and still don't get into Oxbridge, it will have been a waste. I'd suggest you apply to Oxbridge just to see but also apply to other unis, which won't weight GCSEs that heavily.

Yea I wasnt actually going to apply there lol I just wanted to see if I could get in there with my GCSE results, I'm actually looking more at manchester right now but thanks a lot
Reply 18
😂😂😂

Great advice thanks!
Original post by Mr Saturn

Most universities do not care about your GCSE grades. I got pretty mediocre grades too (one 8 four 7s two 6s one 5 and one 4) and I'm considering applying to Nottingham (which is a not a super top uni but is still a very decent university).
I would recommend contacting the university admissions office and asking what sort of student they are looking for.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest