The Student Room Group

Notability vs Notion for note-taking (medical students)

Hi everyone ! Welcome to my first ever post.
I've done research and found overall, Notability is a better note-taking method than Goodnotes 5 . Now I see Ali Abdaal uses Notion whereas other medical students/doctors such as Kharma Medic and Anas Nuur Ali use Notability. Which one is better- Notability or Notion ?

Scroll to see replies

I have been on here a long time and I haven't heard of either of those, and indeed don't have a clue what you are talking about! :tongue:

What do you think the advantages and disadvantages are?
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
I have been on here a long time and I haven't heard of either of those, and indeed don't have a clue what you are talking about! :tongue:

Yeah I just heard about Notion yesterday too but, I knew about Notability and Goodnotes 5 for quite some time now. The people I mentioned are part of the medical field.

To be honest I haven't done any research on Notion (found out about it yesterday) but in terms of Notability and Goodnotes 5, Notability is better. They both have advantages and disadvantages over one another but overall (my opinion), Notability is better.
I wondered if anyone came across Notion and so if they could answer this question or not.
Reply 3
Original post by Dxng
Hi everyone ! Welcome to my first ever post.
I've done research and found overall, Notability is a better note-taking method than Goodnotes 5 . Now I see Ali Abdaal uses Notion whereas other medical students/doctors such as Kharma Medic and Anas Nuur Ali use Notability. Which one is better- Notability or Notion ?

I don't think one is better than the other really - it just depends on what works best for you. Notion is free to use so give that a go and see if it works well for you.

I personally use both for different things. I use Notion for things like timetabling & managing projects while I use Notability for study, literature reviews, making notes etc.

In terms of revision I really like the way Ali Abdaal uses Notion for spaced repetition etc but again I think it's down to personal choice. I imagine Notability would be more useful in lectures though.
Reply 4
Original post by Angury
I don't think one is better than the other really - it just depends on what works best for you. Notion is free to use so give that a go and see if it works well for you.

I personally use both for different things. I use Notion for things like timetabling & managing projects while I use Notability for study, literature reviews, making notes etc.

In terms of revision I really like the way Ali Abdaal uses Notion for spaced repetition etc but again I think it's down to personal choice. I imagine Notability would be more useful in lectures though.

Thanks for the insight !

Yeah once my iPad arrives I will try out Notion myself. Ali Abdaal said this himself: "Notion for most proper notes, notability for mindmaps and rough notes". What he said is the opposite of how you use it- so yeah depends on personal choice really.

Oh I just realised you can't have hand-written notes on Notion, unless you transfer it from Goodnotes 5. As my medical notes would be hand-written, I will use notability for my notes. Anything timetable based/projects and etc (so essentially what you said) will go on Notion.

Also, if you buy Notability for your iPad, the app would also be on your mac as well right ? So as long as I have the same account on both devices, whatever app I download from one would appear on the other ?
Reply 5
Original post by Dxng
Thanks for the insight !

Yeah once my iPad arrives I will try out Notion myself. Ali Abdaal said this himself: "Notion for most proper notes, notability for mindmaps and rough notes". What he said is the opposite of how you use it- so yeah depends on personal choice really.

Oh I just realised you can't have hand-written notes on Notion, unless you transfer it from Goodnotes 5. As my medical notes would be hand-written, I will use notability for my notes. Anything timetable based/projects and etc (so essentially what you said) will go on Notion.

Also, if you buy Notability for your iPad, the app would also be on your mac as well right ? So as long as I have the same account on both devices, whatever app I download from one would appear on the other ?

Yep, I use Notability on multiple devices using one account.
Reply 6
Original post by Angury
Yep, I use Notability on multiple devices using one account.

It's a one time purchase right ?
Reply 7
Did further research and now I'm stuck between Notability and One Note. And I heard Notability can randomly delete files- if this occurs, how do you get the files back ?
Original post by Dxng
It's a one time purchase right ?

Nope, unfortunately. Separate purchases are required for the iPad and Macbook/iMac versions, though you can sync your files between devices once purchased.
Reply 9
Original post by Corruptsoil
Nope, unfortunately. Separate purchases are required for the iPad and Macbook/iMac versions, though you can sync your files between devices once purchased.

How can I retrieve my 'deleted' files from Notability ? Apparently Notability can randomly delete some files.
Original post by nexttime

Note taking apps using iPads. LOL

My friend says half his year are using iPads to take notes in his 1st year. They upload the slides into the iPad and make notes on each slide.

I tried them out - Notion seems really hard to use. i like notability
They both serve the same purpose, choose the one you feel has the better ui/interface then it will work better for you
I’m planning to use notion for my a levels actually
Original post by Dxng
How can I retrieve my 'deleted' files from Notability ? Apparently Notability can randomly delete some files.

I have never had an issue with notability "randomly deleting" files. In any event, you can choose to backup your files to such platforms as Google Drive or iCloud.

As for recovering deleted files, see https://support.gingerlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/216896147-Recovering-Deleted-Notes
Original post by Anyplace
Note taking apps using iPads. LOL

My friend says half his year are using iPads to take notes in his 1st year. They upload the slides into the iPad and make notes on each slide.

I tried them out - Notion seems really hard to use. i like notability

Can you make wiki-style notes on them, that link to eachother?
Notion is way more complete tool than GN or Notability. You can make hand written notes with GN and then add them to Notion.
Reply 16
Yes looks like Ima go with Notability- recording audio and writing can happen simultaneously. Writing experience is also better than the other note-taking apps. OneNote crossed my mind but because of these 2 features, Notability looks superior overall.
Reply 17
Original post by Corruptsoil
I have never had an issue with notability "randomly deleting" files. In any event, you can choose to backup your files to such platforms as Google Drive or iCloud.

As for recovering deleted files, see https://support.gingerlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/216896147-Recovering-Deleted-Notes

Can I get it a way where everytime I write in a file on Notability, it automatically saves and it automatically gets backed-up to Google Drive or iCloud ?

If you haven't experienced it 'randomly deleting' files, have you experienced any file deletion without your consent ?

Edit: Just clicked the link and it said the files can be recovered as long as it hasn't been deleted for 30 days. Now how would I know it got deleted- the only way I will find out is if I go to the specific chapter and realise the files had been deleted. Or would a sign pop up telling me a file got deleted ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dxng
Can I get it a way where everytime I write in a file on Notability, it automatically saves and it automatically gets backed-up to Google Drive or iCloud ?

If you haven't experienced it 'randomly deleting' files, have you experienced any file deletion without your consent ?

Edit: Just clicked the link and it said the files can be recovered as long as it hasn't been deleted for 30 days. Now how would I know it got deleted- the only way I will find out is if I go to the specific chapter and realise the files had been deleted. Or would a sign pop up telling me a file got deleted ?

It automatically backs up - not sure how often, but it's pretty regular. I've been using notability regularly since Sept and haven't lost any files - not sure where you heard about random deletions, but it seems to me that that would be a pretty major flaw in any note-taking app and so if it was a bug in the past it's prob been fixed.
Original post by TakeALittleWalk
I’m planning to use notion for my a levels actually

oh cool, how do you plan on doing that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending