The Student Room Group

Has this site chosen to block the header to adblocker users?

I have a number of web browser plugins installed in my browser (Chrome) in order to both reduce lag and make the internet smoother to browse. Among these are Adblock and uBlock Origin (the combination work best as having both filters out practically all anti-adblocker notices). Today I loaded this site and the header was completely missing. I turned off both, each individually, and it made no difference, but when I turned off both the header loaded.

The site still loads fine on my phone (a first generation iPhone SE) which also has an adblocker installed, so I want to ask if this site had implemented any additional code in the last day or so to deter adblockers?

Scroll to see replies

I have adblock and it works fine for me, i've seen a number of users report this problem though. @8472 might be able to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
I have adblock and it works fine for me, i've seen a number of users report this problem though. @8472 might be able to help :smile:

Here's how it looks to me on Chrome in Windows with either uBlock Origin or Adblock enabled:
Reply 3
Same for me on firefox for the past 2 days.
I had AdBlock and the header disappeared for me but then when I clicked on this thread, it reappeared? Must be an unintentional glitch/bug :smile:
Reply 5
It only disappears for me on the Main pages, not in individual threads.
Reply 6
Original post by CTLeafez
I had AdBlock and the header disappeared for me but then when I clicked on this thread, it reappeared? Must be an unintentional glitch/bug :smile:

Pretty weird - it stayed when I disabled my various adblockers on this thread, though it disappeared elsewhere on this site.

I know that this site did try to deter adblockers several years ago by displaying quite a brash notice taking up about 1/3 of my own screen telling users to turn their adblocker off, but I looked around the internet and very quickly found the code for an easy workaround.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800

Do you think this has been done intentionally?
Reply 8
Original post by CoolCavy

Since when, may I ask? I've never had this problem until about a day ago (on my PC) and still don't on my phone, which also has an adblocker installed on it.
Reply 9
Original post by RJDG14

dunno
Original post by RJDG14
Since when, may I ask? I've never had this problem until about a day ago (on my PC) and still don't on my phone, which also has an adblocker installed on it.

I've had adblock installed on this site for years, the CS should be able to get back to you about this on monday (they dont work sundays) @BlinkyBill :smile:

Original post by RJDG14

I can't say for sure but it sounds like a bug if some people/devices have it and others dont, TSR has had whitelist messages before in the form of an overt purple pop up, I doubt they would break site functionality to get people to whitelist when they could just put a message on :smile:
Original post by gjd800

Ive been experiencing the exact same (on firefox as well).
Hopefully this bug gets resolved shortly.
Reply 12
The main page and profile pages still use the ST1 layout. The header disappears on ST1 but not on ST2. It reappears if I disable my adblocker.

just a side thing, I wouldn't mind disabling my adblocker if they got rid of the ads that appear in between thread replies. That's annoying, everything else is fine
Reply 13
same for me on Chrome, just started today. every page.
Reply 14
If you turn off the extension then re-enable it that should resolve the issue (via extension manager not just turning off for tsr then back on). Your adblock needs to be pulling from the latest filter lists as I had exclusions added to resolve this yesterday.

There's an existing topic here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6597650
I'd merge but on mobile. So expect it later.
Header's disappeared on the front page for me in Chrome. Still there in other browsers and on inner pages.
Heya!

Just to let you know, the tech team are aware of this issue. I've just asked them for an update. :smile:

BB
Morning!

I have an update from our tech team that this issue should now be resolved in most ad blockers. It looks to have been an update in the EasyList ad blocking list. If you're still experiencing this issue, please add https://easylist.to/easylist/easylist.txt to the custom filter list on your adblocker (eg. Adguard).

If you've got any further questions on this @QA1 should be able to help!

Cheers

BB
Original post by BlinkyBill
Morning!

I have an update from our tech team that this issue should now be resolved in most ad blockers. It looks to have been an update in the EasyList ad blocking list. If you're still experiencing this issue, please add https://easylist.to/easylist/easylist.txt to the custom filter list on your adblocker (eg. Adguard).

If you've got any further questions on this @QA1 should be able to help!

Cheers

BB

Hi, that didn't work on Chrome. :sad:
Reply 19
It's fine now. Was some kind of change made or something that caused that, either here or in the adblocker filters?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending