The Student Room Group

Going to uni far away?

Hello! I'm applying to start uni next year and one of the universities with the best course for me is miles away (8-ish hour drive or 1 hour flight). I also don't know many people in the area. Have any of you guys moved far away for uni? would you recommend it? was it awful? help a gal out because I'm so torn haha!! :smile:)
Original post by student.owl
Hello! I'm applying to start uni next year and one of the universities with the best course for me is miles away (8-ish hour drive or 1 hour flight). I also don't know many people in the area. Have any of you guys moved far away for uni? would you recommend it? was it awful? help a gal out because I'm so torn haha!! :smile:)

Go to an open day.
Assess your social skills and likelihood you will make friends.
Assess how much you like independence.
Assess your home life and need to visit home.
Assess your independence level and how homesick you might get.
Consider the cost.

The more you understand these aspects the better you will be able to judge whether it is a good fit for you.

Moving away for university is a great experience! If you're worried beforehand, it's a good idea to join your university fresher groups so you can form some initial connections with your coursemates or flatmates and start building relationships. You may even find them on The Student Room. Have you had a look at your university forum? It's also worth looking on your university choice website to see if they offer a feature where you can speak to current students to gain some peace of mind.
All students are in the same boat on their first day whether they live locally or not and you'll find your feet in no time. Keep an eye out for events put on by your SU and just make the most of the experience :smile:

Hey,

In my opinion it has its days. As an international student I am miles away from family but the experience is great. Moving away from home gives you the chance to know yourself, build independence, learn new skills and just become more confident in yourself and the decisions you make. It can seem hard at first being that If you have never lived away from family you will miss the things family could help with or activities done together but in the end its about accepting the new environment as your new home. Get to know the people around you, what they do, join groups and societies that you enjoy and like being part of just settle in. By doing so it gets you into a routine and you begin to know your environment and people well so you wont get too home sick. There are days you will remember home but if you have settled in to the community you may not find it as hard.
You can always call home or visit when you can or on long holidays and even family can come to you if they can so you can show them where you are and the life there.
A few friends of mine moved away from home for uni too but some end up liking the experience to the point that they settled in the city after uni so hopefully your experience will be as good

Hope this helps
Doreen-maria - Official Student Rep 😀
my uni was far away from home. it was alright because i didn't get home sick that much but sometimes you wish you could go home for a weekend even tho you have friends etc but you can't its too far away and expensive. going back was always a killer too. that super long journey probably rainy and cold to get back to your *****y bedroom lol
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending