The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2022 Entry

FYI: If you have all 4 decisions (including waitlists and rejections :frown:) for 2022, please head over here to let us know what's happened for you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7187003
(mod note!)

I decided to start this thread so that Year 11 students (i.e. those who have just finished their GCSEs in 2020) who are keen to apply to medicine at uni can discuss their thoughts regarding work experience, volunteering, interview preparation, reading, A-levels, personal statements, etc.

Hopefully we can all give each other some advice and help each other strengthen our applications from an early stage!

Edited: for more information scroll down and read the third post!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'll start off:

I'm a 16-year-old hoping to get good GCSE grades (i.e. all A*s). I'm aiming for eight 9s and two 8s (obviously our exams got cancelled so we just have to wait until results day).

I'm hoping to apply for Cambridge, UCL and Imperial for medicine (not sure about 4th and 5th).
So far, I've started preparing for my AS levels, started reading some medical related books (This is Going to Hurt - Adam Kay). I also volunteer in my local food bank. Done a couple of virtual work experiences (BSMS, Observe GP).

Anyone else like to share what they've been up to?
Reply 2
Original post by Greyflame15

I'm hoping to apply for Cambridge, UCL and Imperial for medicine (not sure about 4th and 5th).
So far, I've started preparing for my AS levels, started reading some medical related books (This is Going to Hurt - Adam Kay). I also volunteer in my local food bank. Done a couple of virtual work experiences (BSMS, Observe GP).

I also would like to apply for UCL and Cambridge 😊. What prep have you done so far for your a levels and what are you taking.
Original post by xxxqueen
I also would like to apply for UCL and Cambridge 😊. What prep have you done so far for your a levels and what are you taking.

I've done some volunteering, applied for a work experience placement at a hospital, and started reading some medical books.
I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem and German. How about you?
Reply 4
I've done some volunteering, applied for a work experience placement at a hospital, and started reading some medical books.
I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem and German. How about you?

OMGOSH GERMAN!! HOW. I found it soo hard at GCSE. I haven’t got any experience but am looking to start applying to some places for work experience/ volunteering next week.
I’m taking maths, bio, Chem and English language
I'll start off:

I'm a 16-year-old hoping to get good GCSE grades (i.e. all A*s). I'm aiming for eight 9s and two 8s (obviously our exams got cancelled so we just have to wait until results day).

Those grades are really high- getting me nervous already aha! But I've done everything you have except I volunteered at school to teach science to lower years rather than at a local food bank. I am thinking about Oxbridge (obviously only one), Imperial, Kings and Birmingham
Original post by turquoisedaisy
I'm an aspiring medic too! I've been revising my GCSE content at the moment, getting ready for A Level. Probably going to start some A Level "stuff" in July/August. I've taken Biology, Chemistry and Maths as my subjects. The fact that you and @xxxqueen are doing 4 A Levels is incredible! I'm avoiding 4 as I think that's going to hinder my academic performance. 4 A levels along with BMAT/UCAT prep along with EPQ is going to be too much for me! I did work experience last year at the opticians, though I doubt that would be much help in a uni med application. I am hoping to get a placement for December, shadowing a cardiologist though work exp. in that field is almost impossible to get! Also, @Greyflame15 how did the virtual work exp. go? I didn't even know that was a thing

I'm not @Greyflame15 but yeah it's really good and completely free which is even better aha. I recommend doing the BSMS work experience which you can find easily by typing it up first because it's really long but honestly it's up to!
Reply 7
I'm an aspiring medic too! I've been revising my GCSE content at the moment, getting ready for A Level. Probably going to start some A Level "stuff" in July/August. I've taken Biology, Chemistry and Maths as my subjects. The fact that you and @xxxqueen are doing 4 A Levels is incredible! I'm avoiding 4 as I think that's going to hinder my academic performance. 4 A levels along with BMAT/UCAT prep along with EPQ is going to be too much for me! I did work experience last year at the opticians, though I doubt that would be much help in a uni med application. I am hoping to get a placement for December, shadowing a cardiologist though work exp. in that field is almost impossible to get! Also, @Greyflame15 how did the virtual work exp. go? I didn't even know that was a thing! :biggrin:

I’m only going to take English language as an AS instead of the full A level.
I'll start off:

hey! im also in year11 hoping for good GCSEs. aiming for three 9 and seven 8s

hoping to apply for cambridge, ucl, imperial, bristol and manchester for medicine
im doing biology, chemistry, french and spanish at a level but im quite worried about not taking maths at a level because cambridge are notorious for only accepting people with maths a level (only 3% apply without maths at a level and of that 3%, only 3% actually get a place) im considering oxford instead but cambridge is really where my heart is set

i havent really started any AS level prep and now i feel like im behind :frown:(

did two weeks of work experience last summer at a clinic/medical centre
Original post by mirabelleij

hoping to apply for cambridge, ucl, imperial, bristol and manchester for medicine
im doing biology, chemistry, french and spanish at a level but im quite worried about not taking maths at a level because cambridge are notorious for only accepting people with maths a level (only 3% apply without maths at a level and of that 3%, only 3% actually get a place) im considering oxford instead but cambridge is really where my heart is set

i havent really started any AS level prep and now i feel like im behind :frown:(

That's cool I'm taking french too and I would say apply where you want-who's to say you won't be that 3%? So long as you apply strategically to the others you should be good. Also you can only apply to four unis for medicine in any one academic year :frown:

Don't feel like you're behind - trust me I've only started doing stuff because I've got nothing else to do lol. Also you've already done work experience, so in many ways, you're ahead of the game!
Your grades are really good; I wouldn't worry about not taking maths (just check it isn't a requirement for your unis). What matters is your grades.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm an aspiring medic too! I've been revising my GCSE content at the moment, getting ready for A Level. Probably going to start some A Level "stuff" in July/August. I've taken Biology, Chemistry and Maths as my subjects. The fact that you and @xxxqueen are doing 4 A Levels is incredible! I'm avoiding 4 as I think that's going to hinder my academic performance. 4 A levels along with BMAT/UCAT prep along with EPQ is going to be too much for me! I did work experience last year at the opticians, though I doubt that would be much help in a uni med application. I am hoping to get a placement for December, shadowing a cardiologist though work exp. in that field is almost impossible to get! Also, @Greyflame15 how did the virtual work exp. go? I didn't even know that was a thing! :biggrin:

Yeah the work experience was great - I totally recommend it. I'm hoping to do an EPQ as well as my four A-levels - hopefully I'll be able to cope!
Original post by xxxqueen
OMGOSH GERMAN!! HOW. I found it soo hard at GCSE. I haven’t got any experience but am looking to start applying to some places for work experience/ volunteering next week.
I’m taking maths, bio, Chem and English language

I know lots of people struggled with German at GCSE in my school, but for me it just kinda clicked I guess lol.
But I didn't really enjoy English - I couldn't see myself taking literature or language for A-level.
Good luck with your volunteering/WE!
Original post by x_precious_x
That's cool I'm taking french too and I would say apply where you want-who's to say you won't be that 3%? So long as you apply strategically to the others you should be good. Also you can only apply to four unis for medicine in any one academic year :frown:

fingers crossed i'll be in the 3% then! also im trying to choose between bristol or manchester to narrow it down to 4 :frown: i also considered nottingham briefly but the cons outweighed the pros
Don't feel like you're behind - trust me I've only started doing stuff because I've got nothing else to do lol. Also you've already done work experience, so in many ways, you're ahead of the game!
Your grades are really good; I wouldn't worry about not taking maths (just check it isn't a requirement for your unis). What matters is your grades.

its not a requirement for the unis, actually i think ucl prefer a contrasting subject so hopefully that works in my favour lol, only a few cambridge colleges explicitly require maths but even the ones that dont require maths still seem to prefer it :frown:
fingers crossed i'll be in the 3% then! also im trying to choose between bristol or manchester to narrow it down to 4 :frown: i also considered nottingham briefly but the cons outweighed the pros

Fingers crossed and I personally would say definitely manchester if you don't mind the PBL course! The city is nice and the med school is a decent size! However, this is completely up to you and we still have time!
its not a requirement for the unis, actually i think ucl prefer a contrasting subject so hopefully that works in my favour lol, only a few cambridge colleges explicitly require maths but even the ones that dont require maths still seem to prefer it :frown:

If it's not a requirement then don't worry - just aim to get the best grades you can! However it might be best to keep your maths (and physics) up to scratch because there are GCSE-level maths/physics questions in the BMAT, and also they might ask you some maths/physics questions in interviews. I think taking languages is a great option though, it really shows your commitment and makes you stand out! I'm taking German as it's a bit of a contrast to my other three.
Me too but if maths tries to kill me I will drop to three in year 13 aha
Original post by x_precious_x
Me too but if maths tries to kill me I will drop to three in year 13 aha

maths already killed me all the way through gcses looool
maths already killed me all the way through gcses looool

I felt that 😭💔

Quick Reply

Latest