The Student Room Group

Gove plans to move large chunks of the government out of London

The chancellor has announced that 22,000 civil servants will be shifted out of central London over the next 10 years. Among their number will be 750 staff from the Treasury and other departments who will move to an ‘economic campus’ in the north of England.

This government is not the first to attempt to decentralise the civil service. But relocations have not always achieved their goals, like improving economic growth outside the capital or overcoming perceived Whitehall groupthink. The new moves are part of the Johnson government’s ‘levelling up’ agenda but this should not be the sole motive for its decision to increase the number of civil servants outside the capital.

Having clear objectives on what government can better achieve with a more diverse and nationwide civil service should guide ministers’ decisions, not soundbites.

Policy advisers are concentrated one in five civil servants is located in London London is home to around two thirds of policy professionals and senior civil servants.

The government has gave officials two weeks to draw up plans for which jobs can be moved out of London. I currently work for the civil service in London and very worried about my job and future opportunities in London

Scroll to see replies

😭😭😭😭, the quango is being broken up and positions are to be shared around the country, suck it up.
I think it's a good thing.
Reply 2
Original post by ColinDent
😭😭😭😭, the quango is being broken up and positions are to be shared around the country, suck it up.

Possibly mildly irritating for anyone being ordered to upsticks though. It reminds me of the Yes Minister episode 'Man Overboard' where they try and get the MoD to move up north and one of the primary objections is the lack of 'Harrods, Wimbledon, Ascot etc.' :lol:
Original post by Napp
Possibly mildly irritating for anyone being ordered to upsticks though. It reminds me of the Yes Minister episode 'Man Overboard' where they try and get the MoD to move up north and one of the primary objections is the lack of 'Harrods, Wimbledon, Ascot etc.' :lol:

🤣🤣🤣 Precisely.
The Home Office have been running an office in Liverpool for many years now. Perhaps it's about to get bigger?
Working from home largely would achieve this, especially as gradually over time people would not move to London for jobs. Offices for most policy positions could be smaller, no need to travel into work every day, or have a separate office (use local authority facilities).
Perhaps Health Department officials will be relocating to Barnard Castle :teehee:
Reply 7

Is it QUANGOs or the Civil Service?
Reply 8
Are you from London or moved for work?

Why aren't G7/6 positions out of London of interest? Way better standard of living. Can't stand London offices in summer myself.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Is it QUANGOs or the Civil Service?

Okay you have me on a technicality but you know what I mean, and even the Labour Party and the Guardian agreed with the description towards certain parts of the Civil service back in 2009.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2009/nov/25/labour-whitehall-civil-service-plan
Original post by Quady
Are you from London or moved for work?

Why aren't G7/6 positions out of London of interest? Way better standard of living. Can't stand London offices in summer myself.
I don't work for the CS, I just know a lot about Liverpool. :tongue: :colondollar:
Shame he can't move the Mayor of London to a different city.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Shame he can't move the Mayor of London to a different city.

And the Prime Minister to the country of his birth. Or Mr Johnson to a prison where killers by neglect belong.
Reply 13
Okay you have me on a technicality but you know what I mean, and even the Labour Party and the Guardian agreed with the description towards certain parts of the Civil service back in 2009.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2009/nov/25/labour-whitehall-civil-service-plan

Most of the Civil Service is outside of London though.

Less than a quarter work in London
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/location-of-civil-service

They referred to the Civil Cervice and QUANGOs. Not sure if this refers QUANGOs too, presume that's less of a thing since the early 2010s bonfire.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by 04MR17
I don't work for the CS, I just know a lot about Liverpool. :tongue: :colondollar:

Opse soz, accidental quote.

HMRC also have a big presence there don't they? And Cabinet Office.
Original post by Quady
Most of the Civil Service is outside of London though.

Less than a quarter work in London
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/location-of-civil-service

They referred to the Civil Cervice and QUANGOs. Not sure if this refers QUANGOs too, presume that's less of a thing since the early 2010s bonfire.

And will be even less so once further decentralisation occurs.
Oh and the powers within the Civil service are still very much held in the corridors of Whitehall (around 68% of senior civil servants according to the article you posted) , that is what needs to be broken up.
Reply 16
And will be even less so once further decentralisation occurs.
Oh and the powers within the Civil service are still very much held in the corridors of Whitehall (around 68% of senior civil servants according to the article you posted) , that is what needs to be broken up.

Sure thing.
The new Perm Sec at the FCDO should be based in the USA as that's is where we need to pivot to. Or perhaps Hairmyres to should commitment to the integration of DFID into the new department?

The new Perm Sec at the Home Office should be based in Belfast due to the land border issues with Ireland.

As for the new Cabinet Secretary, Wolverhampton? Or will No10/Cabinet be moving to York? Perhaps be better there then near DEFRA.

More the merrier out of London, if new senior positions are opened up in the provinces then my next promotion will be easier :biggrin:

Or will the relocation packages be generous enough that the current postholders will move their families?
Good we shouldn’t have none geographically essential government jobs based in London with the higher salaries when we could pay less elsewhere and boost the economy of where they are moved to.
Original post by 04MR17
Perhaps Health Department officials will be relocating to Barnard Castle :teehee:

They must need their eyes testing or summat.
Keep everything in London!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending