The Student Room Group

Is Shepherd's Bush a safe area to live?

My daughter and her roommate need to get a flat in London at an area which is conveniently located to reach both Hammersmith hospital and Barons court. They are thinking about Shepherd's Bush but I'm not sure it's a safe area. Any feedback? Can anyone suggest any other area?
Reply 1
Any Londoners out there who could help?
Reply 2
Look at the area between West Acton (central line) station and North Ealing(Piccadilly line) station. They can walk to either one if you choose in-between. However, there is no large supermarket close by.

Ealing Broadway will be more expensive. Slightly longer to get to Barons Court on the district line (can change to the Piccadilly line at Acton town to be slightly faster). But it is much more convenient for food shopping and restaurants.
Reply 4
Original post by Anyplace
Look at the area between West Acton (central line) station and North Ealing(Piccadilly line) station. They can walk to either one if you choose in-between. However, there is no large supermarket close by.

Ealing Broadway will be more expensive. Slightly longer to get to Barons Court on the district line (can change to the Piccadilly line at Acton town to be slightly faster). But it is much more convenient for food shopping and restaurants.

Ealing Broadway is too far. They also need to be within reasonable distance from Imperial College.
Original post by EleaGR
My daughter and her roommate need to get a flat in London at an area which is conveniently located to reach both Hammersmith hospital and Barons court. They are thinking about Shepherd's Bush but I'm not sure it's a safe area. Any feedback? Can anyone suggest any other area?

Anywhere in London can be bad, but shepherds Bush is ok. If they find somewhere, you can pm me if you like and I can tell you if it is ok.

I am a landlord and I also work in that area.
Reply 6
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Anywhere in London can be bad, but shepherds Bush is ok. If they find somewhere, you can pm me if you like and I can tell you if it is ok.

I am a landlord and I also work in that area.

Oh, thank you! Do you by any chance have any flat available to rent? 😁
Reply 7
Anywhere in London can be bad, but shepherds Bush is ok.

I have some idea about that, because this past academic year she was renting at Earl's court -about 5min away from the tube station- and one night when they got home with her flatmates, one of them got mugged just when she was coming out of the uber.
Original post by EleaGR
I have some idea about that, because this past academic year she was renting at Earl's court -about 5min away from the tube station- and one night when they got home with her flatmates, one of them got mugged just when she was coming out of the uber.

Earls court is a dump. Chiswick is nice
Reply 9
Earls court is a dump. Chiswick is nice

Well, I wouldn't know about that. So many of Imperial students rent there and actually at least 5 flats in her street were occupied by friends of hers. So, it kind of felt like a community and pretty safe too. But apparently it was not. And it didn't come cheap too. It was £2750pm for a 3 bedroom house. But at least she was close to shops and supermarkets and she could walk to Imperial to avoid tube rush hours.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's a bit of a trade off. There are always some opportunistic muggers in London
I lived in London for 3 years whilst at uni in elephant and castle/Waterloo/old Kent road area and frequently went to Shepherds Bush area.
During the day it’s nice and busy, good transport links direct onto central London (148 bus is super good) and lots of facilities (westfields shopping centre is massive and there’s a Lidl, Poundland and savers in the Shepherd’s Bush centre right by the underground line). Underground line is central so really convenient for getting well... central.

At nights it can be unsafe but keep your wits about you and make sure well lit streets when walking. I’ve never had a problem walking through shepherds Bush but never gone at night!

If you are looking for other areas around SB then Hammersmith is quite a nice place- and around the same prices too (from what I remember looking at places) or Acton.

Good luck!
Reply 12
When we were in Shepherd's Bush for viewings, we witnessed a daylight robbery at a petrol station! Guy ran off with two bottles of wine. That said, I'm sure it is safe for the most part, and plenty of Imperial students in the area.
Reply 13
Original post by s.xw
When we were in Shepherd's Bush for viewings, we witnessed a daylight robbery at a petrol station! Guy ran off with two bottles of wine. That said, I'm sure it is safe for the most part, and plenty of Imperial students in the area.

Not a very encouraging experience to have during the day! Thanks for sharing! 😁
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ClaudiaVan
I lived in London for 3 years whilst at uni in elephant and castle/Waterloo/old Kent road area and frequently went to Shepherds Bush area.
During the day it’s nice and busy, good transport links direct onto central London (148 bus is super good) and lots of facilities (westfields shopping centre is massive and there’s a Lidl, Poundland and savers in the Shepherd’s Bush centre right by the underground line). Underground line is central so really convenient for getting well... central.

At nights it can be unsafe but keep your wits about you and make sure well lit streets when walking. I’ve never had a problem walking through shepherds Bush but never gone at night!

If you are looking for other areas around SB then Hammersmith is quite a nice place- and around the same prices too (from what I remember looking at places) or Acton.

Good luck!

For my daughter it is definitely more convenient to stay at Notting Hill which is a reasonable distance from Imperial College and a short ride with the tube to Hammersmith hospital.

However, her flatmate unfortunately did not get the same lab project, so she will be going somewhere at Barons court. And they are trying to find an area that suits them both. On top of that this area needs to be safe enough, so all parents can sleep at night! 😁
Original post by EleaGR
For my daughter it is definitely more convenient to stay at Notting Hill which is a reasonable distance from Imperial College and a short ride with the tube to Hammersmith hospital.

However, her flatmate unfortunately did not get the same lab project, so she will be going somewhere at Barons court. And they are trying to find an area that suits them both. On top of that this area needs to be safe enough, so all parents can sleep at night! 😁

Good luck! Hope you find somewhere suitable for them all! First few nights or times out best to go together and make sure you know the routes/buses and ways for them to get home is my top tip!

They’ll really enjoy the area/ west London as it’s full of diferrent cultures and things to do!
Reply 16
Original post by ClaudiaVan
Good luck! Hope you find somewhere suitable for them all! First few nights or times out best to go together and make sure you know the routes/buses and ways for them to get home is my top tip!

They’ll really enjoy the area/ west London as it’s full of diferrent cultures and things to do!

Thank you, dear! I sure hope everything works out for both of them. For the sake of all of us! 😉

Hope you get a chance to enjoy yourself a bit this summer. Take care! Be safe! Greetings from sunny Greece! 😎
Original post by EleaGR

One of them will need to compromise with travelling time. What's their priority? Keeping parents happy or convenient for social life? Need to choose.

BTW, Ealing is only far away from the social life :-). Plenty of students travel longer.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Anyplace
One of them will need to compromise with travelling time. What's their priority? Keeping parents happy or convenient for social life? Need to choose.

BTW, Ealing is only far away from the social life :-). Plenty of students travel longer.

LOL! You don't get to make 2 20year olds to do what you want, even if you do control the money! And to be honest the whole point of this discussion is to educate myself! You people have no fear these days...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending