The Student Room Group

Carol Ann Duffy

I’m struggling to find any literary criticism relating to the poem valentine or Duffy’s poetry
Original post by Jadey53
I’m struggling to find any literary criticism relating to the poem valentine or Duffy’s poetry

Hi there - by "literary criticism", are you looking for academic ones? In any case, here's a close reading of Duffy's 'War Photographer', if it helps at all: hyperbolit.com/2020/05/13/looking-at-war-poetry-through-the-eyes-of-wilfred-owen-carol-ann-duffy/
Reply 2
Original post by Hyperbolit
Hi there - by "literary criticism", are you looking for academic ones? In any case, here's a close reading of Duffy's 'War Photographer', if it helps at all: hyperbolit.com/2020/05/13/looking-at-war-poetry-through-the-eyes-of-wilfred-owen-carol-ann-duffy/

Thank you
Reply 3
Jadey,
There is a considerable amount of criticism on the internet on "Valentine" - it is one of her most popular poems. You should find no difficulty finding material on the poem on the internet.
It is a strange poem and it takes some time to appreciate the central metaphor - or even just understand it. I find there is a selfishness in the poem - especially verse 6 especially L. 17.
The metaphors are very good and the poem establishes the authenticity of each. However the unusualness of the central metaphor I sometimes find myself forced to accept its legitimacy rather than immediately see the metaphor's purpose.
It is import to understand the verse structure - esp. the single line verse and what they bring to the poem - rather tha multi-line verses.
Although outside the subject being discussed and I cannot explain why, but I have always wondered whether this poem was written when Carol Ann Duffy was with Jackie Kay.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending