The Student Room Group

Why do you want to study Law? What is law for you personally?

2021 Cambridge law Applicant
Feel free to discuss or ask anything!
For me it's the variety within the profession. I could, for example, become a corporate solicitor and potentially work on multi-million-pound deals which seems exhilarating. On the other hand I could instead use my degree to effect positive change and devote my life to working in pro-bono clinics to really help people who need legal advice, such as people who are wrongfully accused of crimes.
Original post by ImaraMwadzaya
For me it's the variety within the profession. I could, for example, become a corporate solicitor and potentially work on multi-million-pound deals which seems exhilarating. On the other hand I could instead use my degree to effect positive change and devote my life to working in pro-bono clinics to really help people who need legal advice, such as people who are wrongfully accused of crimes.

But why law as an academic discipline? It’s completely diff to a career in law and you can study any other subject at degree level and still do any of the jobs you mentioned.
Original post by Mayataylor
But why law as an academic discipline? It’s completely diff to a career in law and you can study any other subject at degree level and still do any of the jobs you mentioned.

One could argue that law is one of a select few fields of study that impacts and pervades close to every aspect of our daily lives. Being able to study something that has far-reaching consequences on our life is interesting to me.
As an academic subject one of the most interesting things about law is studying the philosophy of law. We ask questions like what separates law from politics, what is law and the idea of natural law. Studying law means studying human civilisation as well, which makes it a very versatile subject that you can apply to anything.
One could argue that law is one of a select few fields of study that impacts and pervades close to every aspect of our daily lives. Being able to study something that has far-reaching consequences on our life is interesting to me.

Ok i understand that as a good reason to study it. Although i do not intend to study law, I like how multifaceted it is, combining so many separate disciplines into one.
Because I like it and I find it interesting, especially in Law involving technology and Legal philosophy (Also a 2021 law applicant as well)
Original post by Mayataylor
Ok i understand that as a good reason to study it. Although i do not intend to study law, I like how multifaceted it is, combining so many separate disciplines into one.

ah okay, what are you thinking of studying if i may ask?
ah okay, what are you thinking of studying if i may ask?

History
Reply 9
Original post by TheMandalorian
As an academic subject one of the most interesting things about law is studying the philosophy of law. We ask questions like what separates law from politics, what is law and the idea of natural law. Studying law means studying human civilisation as well, which makes it a very versatile subject that you can apply to anything.

Yes I totally agree with you, I am also interested in jurisprudence! Law is indeed multidisciplinary as a subject.
Reply 10

I like this idea! Sounds like medicine also will do, are you thinking of that as well?
Reply 11
well for me personally i needed a lawyer and couldn't afford one, so decided i'd go to school and learn the basics of law and procedure so i could help myself and eventually help others. for me (well for everyone), law is power. if you know your rights and know how to read contracts and apply for stuff, then when you get into trouble you'll at least be able to figure a way out or know who to turn to.

what interests me about law is that it's just an idea. it's just words and opinions that everyone follows along with, till new words and opinions come along.
Original post by Ellen Liu
I like this idea! Sounds like medicine also will do, are you thinking of that as well?

For sure medicine is a similar field of study. Tbh I'm better at social sciences than natural sciences so even getting into med school would be an issue.
Reply 13
For sure medicine is a similar field of study. Tbh I'm better at social sciences than natural sciences so even getting into med school would be an issue.

hahah so true, that's me as well! Feel like there's a lil door closed in my head preventing me from understanding natural sciences

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending