The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam Uni Course

Hi ! I’ve accepted my offer at Sheffield Hallam Uni and I’m planning on studying a masters in developmental psychology however I am unsure if I should study a masters in just psychology or developmental. I start September 2020 and I’m wondering if the course was what they expected it to be. I’m aware uni is once a week and it says there are opportunities to volunteer. Has anyone taken part in the volunteering and what volunteering options are there ?
Reply 1
Original post by Imaanx_x
Hi ! I’ve accepted my offer at Sheffield Hallam Uni and I’m planning on studying a masters in developmental psychology however I am unsure if I should study a masters in just psychology or developmental. I start September 2020 and I’m wondering if the course was what they expected it to be. I’m aware uni is once a week and it says there are opportunities to volunteer. Has anyone taken part in the volunteering and what volunteering options are there ?

Hey Imaan, I am currently an undergraduate student at Hallam, volunteering for STAR (Student Action for Refugees). I can assure you that there are plenty of opportunities available where you get to volunteer with kids, the elderly and etc. However I didn't look into it in detail as I wasn't really interested in those. You can actually talk to the Volunteering Team based in the Student Union building to discuss your option, and in the mean time, you can check out the link below.

https://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/get_involved/volunteering/

Hope it helps!! :smile:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by veeeeks
Hey Imaan, I am currently an undergraduate student at Hallam, volunteering for STAR (Student Action for Refugees). I can assure you that there are plenty of opportunities available where you get to volunteer with kids, the elderly and etc. However I didn't look into it in detail as I wasn't really interested in those. You can actually talk to the Volunteering Team based in the Student Union building to discuss your option, and in the mean time, you can check out the link below.

https://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/get_involved/volunteering/

Hope it helps!! :smile:

Hiii thank you so much for your help 🥺I was worried about there not being much opportunities available but the link you sent shows so many different options !
Hello! sorry to jump on your post and ask a question Im looking at applying for MSc Developmental Psych at SHU in a couple of years, is It a one or two year course? as the webpage mentions both so trying to find people who are starting it who might know! thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by leannemellisa
Hello! sorry to jump on your post and ask a question Im looking at applying for MSc Developmental Psych at SHU in a couple of years, is It a one or two year course? as the webpage mentions both so trying to find people who are starting it who might know! thanks!

Hey, it depends on if you want to do full time or part time. Full time is one hear and part time is 2 years but its still uni one day a week and I’m assuming you use other days to like take up volunteering and stuff.

Also if you haven’t done psychology as a bachelors I was advised to do the masters in psychology rather than developmental
Original post by Imaanx_x
Hey, it depends on if you want to do full time or part time. Full time is one hear and part time is 2 years but its still uni one day a week and I’m assuming you use other days to like take up volunteering and stuff.

Also if you haven’t done psychology as a bachelors I was advised to do the masters in psychology rather than developmental

Thanks for replying! Im doing a psych based undergrad so main reason I'm looking at SHU for developmental psych is because of the BPS accreditation that comes with it (my psych degree isn't accredited) but thanks your answer helped a lot!
Reply 6
Original post by leannemellisa
Thanks for replying! Im doing a psych based undergrad so main reason I'm looking at SHU for developmental psych is because of the BPS accreditation that comes with it (my psych degree isn't accredited) but thanks your answer helped a lot!

No worries ! Good luck with your studies
Hi @leannemellisa,
It looks like Imaan has answered your question correctly. It depends if you want to study full-time or part-time usually to work around other commitments. Let me know if you have any other questions about the course and I will do my best to answer! :smile:
- Ella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending