The Student Room Group

Biology Equivalency Testing - HELP

I have been going round in circles throughout all of lockdown as I want to start a primary PGCE and so I need to get my Science GCSE/equivalent. I was initially going to take an exam with A Star Equivalency but I have found some universities (i.e. UCL) don't accept the certificate from them so Equivalencytesting.com is probably a safer option. The annoying thing is Astar have been so helpful in providing resources and giving advice on revision material etc, always get back to calls and emails whereas Equivalency Testing are completely useless. ET have quite a different syllabus and it's a higher paper so more difficult. Their syllabus is sooo brief for instance Part 3. is just 'Drugs', no other detail. They won't give me any info on what revision materials to use so I just feel like I'm at my wits end. Would love to get it sorted before I have to go back to work full time but time is getting on. Just want to know if anyone else has had similar issues or done the exam in the last few years??
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey
I recently sat biology with ET and im still waiting for my results. I only did it through them because they were the only company that UCL accepts. I agree, it has been quite frustrating getting in contact with them but it's expected since they're a small company. As for revision, i used bbc bitesize.
Original post by gbeee
I have been going round in circles throughout all of lockdown as I want to start a primary PGCE and so I need to get my Science GCSE/equivalent. I was initially going to take an exam with A Star Equivalency but I have found some universities (i.e. UCL) don't accept the certificate from them so Equivalencytesting.com is probably a safer option. The annoying thing is Astar have been so helpful in providing resources and giving advice on revision material etc, always get back to calls and emails whereas Equivalency Testing are completely useless. ET have quite a different syllabus and it's a higher paper so more difficult. Their syllabus is sooo brief for instance Part 3. is just 'Drugs', no other detail. They won't give me any info on what revision materials to use so I just feel like I'm at my wits end. Would love to get it sorted before I have to go back to work full time but time is getting on. Just want to know if anyone else has had similar issues or done the exam in the last few years??

Hey! Sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time... I had the same problem with equivalency.com which is why I opted to astar equivalency. However I am lucky as my uni accepts it. Do you need it by september this year or next year? Have you applied for your pgce already? and have you tried speaking specifically to UCL (If thats where you want to go to explain the situation to them? They may make allowances esecially with the current climate and allow astar?? Positive thinking! Im sure you will get this sorted! :smile: Kelly
Reply 3
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Hey
I recently sat biology with ET and im still waiting for my results. I only did it through them because they were the only company that UCL accepts. I agree, it has been quite frustrating getting in contact with them but it's expected since they're a small company. As for revision, i used bbc bitesize.

Hey thanks for replying! Did you get your results?

I'm currently waiting to hear back from another uni at the moment but if I don't get on that course I think I will continue trying ET to keep my options open for next year.

I began looking at bitesize but still didn't think it covered everything on their syllabus...
Reply 4
Original post by xxgreenxx
Hey! Sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time... I had the same problem with equivalency.com which is why I opted to astar equivalency. However I am lucky as my uni accepts it. Do you need it by september this year or next year? Have you applied for your pgce already? and have you tried speaking specifically to UCL (If thats where you want to go to explain the situation to them? They may make allowances esecially with the current climate and allow astar?? Positive thinking! Im sure you will get this sorted! :smile: Kelly

Hey Kelly, thanks for your response!

I'm hoping to hear back about a course currently but if I don't get on I will be applying again for 2021 entry, in that case I will take it with ET just to keep my options open. That being said, the more courses I looked at the more were asking for different providers (London Met for instance have an entirely different test with the University of Birmingham). Astar actually advised me to get in touch with UCL too, they said they hadn't heard of anyone having issues before but when I did UCL said it would be unfair to accept someone now when they've turned people away for not having it previously (makes sense). I'm just crossing my fingers that I'll get on the course I'm waiting for so I can just take it with A star and be done with it haha:smile:
Original post by gbeee
Hey Kelly, thanks for your response!

I'm hoping to hear back about a course currently but if I don't get on I will be applying again for 2021 entry, in that case I will take it with ET just to keep my options open. That being said, the more courses I looked at the more were asking for different providers (London Met for instance have an entirely different test with the University of Birmingham). Astar actually advised me to get in touch with UCL too, they said they hadn't heard of anyone having issues before but when I did UCL said it would be unfair to accept someone now when they've turned people away for not having it previously (makes sense). I'm just crossing my fingers that I'll get on the course I'm waiting for so I can just take it with A star and be done with it haha:smile:

Hey! Makes sense...Fingers crossed for the other course then! Hopefully you find out soon so you can start this year! All the best! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Hey

Hey,

Can you briefly tell us the kinds of question you had and how much marks were they worth? Also which topics do you think should be focused on when doing revision. Please advise :smile:
Original post by gbeee

I know how you feel. I too was going round in circles during lockdown. I was studying maths and the support I received from ET for the money I paid (well over £300) was awful. I think i spent well over £1000 buying books, sitting tests and paying for tutors. I left my job and monthly income to study teacher training so it's been really tough. Now I have to get a science equivalency by the end of November. Sometimes the stress is unbearable!
Reply 8
Hey,

Has anyone recently sat their Biology exam with A star Equivalency? Was it hard or easy? What was the paper out of? Because I read someone where else that exam paper was out od 80- 90 marks.

I am planning to take mine in 2-3 weeks time, feeling a little bit nervous.

Thanks in advance.
What ever you do, do NOT pay for the revision materials from equivalency testing. It’s a waste of money!! I just bought an Edexcel revision off Amazon and worked through that. Much much cheaper.
Reply 10
Original post by Dave_Perkins87
What ever you do, do NOT pay for the revision materials from equivalency testing. It’s a waste of money!! I just bought an Edexcel revision off Amazon and worked through that. Much much cheaper.

Did you do the exam?
Hi, anyone here done the biology equivalency exam with equivalency testing.com?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending