The Student Room Group

MSc Finance vs MSc Accounting and Finance

Hello, I currently need to decide from a few offers I have received during the last few months. I have offers in the following courses and universities:
MSc International Accounting and Finance - Cass Business School
MSc Finance (Asset Pricing) - King's College London
MSc Finance - Lancaster
MSc Finance - Loughborough
MSc Investment Management - Exeter
I intend to pursue a career in IB, but considering none of these are proper target unis, I am unsure if it would be worth doing the IA&F course at Cass to elevate my CV or take on a pure MSc in Finance somewhere like Lancaster which also provides great prospects or somewhere with good overall reputation like KCL but with an average business school. Thanks for your help in advance.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MrPickwick
Hello, I currently need to decide from a few offers I have received during the last few months. I have offers in the following courses and universities:
MSc Finance - Lancaster
I intend to pursue a career in IB, but considering none of these are proper target unis, I am unsure if it would be worth doing the IA&F course at Cass to elevate my CV or take on a pure MSc in Finance somewhere like Lancaster which also provides great prospects or somewhere with good overall reputation like KCL but with an average business school. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi @MrPickwick,

Congratulations on receiving all your offers.

Have you looked at each of the courses in depth? This will help you to identify which one you prefer, especially if you look at the modules offered and whether there are optional modules that can help you tailor the course to your chosen career path.

Our MSc Finance degree is taught within our Top 10 UK ranked Business School, where you will be taught by leading academics and have access to industry expertise. The team within the Business School also has a dedicated careers team to help you in securing a role upon graduating, whilst providing careers advice and guidance during your studies.

If you have any specific questions about Loughborough, please drop us a PM and we will get back to you ASAP.
Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. I find accounting quite easy but the I am not sure which if the course at Cass will really be that much more advantageous.

Yeah, I applied to LSE and ICL but my applications were not successful unfortunately.
Reply 3
Original post by Bdbsbshs
If I was in your position I would definitely go with Cass.

Thanks for your advice. Do you reckon studying the MSc A&F course at Cass will be conducive to a career within investment banking or similar?
Original post by MrPickwick
MSc Finance - Lancaster

Hello @MrPickwick,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!I just want to add some things that you might like to consider!
You'd be in Graduate college (we have a college system at Lancaster). This means if you'd like to live in campus you'd be living in Graduate college accommodation (located in south-west campus). You'd be living with other Grads and would be near Grad bar (although anyone can visit any college bar) which has a weekly curry night, as well as being near Grad-only social and study spaces. There's also Grad only study spaces in the library, as well as in town if you decide to live there.
Each college has an elected JCR which consists of students in the college who run events and welfare for the students of that college. They'll organise moving in and welcome week as well as social events throughout the year and provide someone to chat to if you need support.
You can chat to current students using UniBuddy, and of course feel free to email the department if you have any course specific questions: [email protected]
Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about studying at Lancaster or if there's anything I can help you with at all.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Reply 5
Would say cass has best rep for finance out of them all - the city regards it very well. Probably followed by Lancaster and lough. Kings as much as it has an international name, from talking to people in the city the finance masters really has not got much rep.
Yeah should be able to, I'm doing the same course but at Imperial, (MSc Finance & Accounting) and am looking to break into IB too.

Hi You just mentioned that you are pursuing Msc in Finance and Accounting from Imperial. Firstly, with pandemic in place, is it not hampering your studies, networking which happens to be crucial for hunting jobs? Also, how does the job market look like from IB perspective? I believe banks are on firing mode.
Banks aren't on firing mode. Job market looks good, a MSc Finance & Accounting from Imperial will make me a stronger applicant than without it so this is the perfect time to do it. My studies aren't hampered, Imperial said only 40%ish will be online so not too bad. Oxfords vaccine will be released in September then this will all be over lol.

Hi, I am glad to hear it! I am going to pursue Masters in Finance from Warwick in 2020. Firstly, do you think the same degree from Imperial or LSE or LBS is a better bet than Warwick when it comes to IB?
Reply 8
Original post by ParikaKalra
Hi, I am glad to hear it! I am going to pursue Masters in Finance from Warwick in 2020. Firstly, do you think the same degree from Imperial or LSE or LBS is a better bet than Warwick when it comes to IB?

Warwick pretty much on the same page as imperial and lse, only downside is it’s outside of London.
Original post by ParikaKalra

Depends what you wanna do, I wanna do M&A so my course is more suitable for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending