The Student Room Group

What age is too old to be living with parents?

For men and women

Scroll to see replies

I’m coming up to 23 and I already feel too old...however looks like the situations not changing any time soon😩
Reply 2
Original post by Student98765443
I’m coming up to 23 and I already feel too old...however looks like the situations not changing any time soon😩

Yeah me I’m 24 and my step brother 26 we’re still living at home
Reply 3
Original post by Girlpowers
Yeah me I’m 24 and my step brother 26 we’re still living at home

Do you have a job?
lol theres no such thing. if you're embarrassed by it just change the story like most adults do now - say 'they're living with ME'

haha thats what my dad did. we're asian so naturally like most asians he lived with his parents after marriage. and then when he started to get embarrassed by it he'd always say 'this is my house and when my parents got old i told them to move in with me'. lol
For men and women

Both 25 or 26
For men and women

Ha ha my niece's husband is still living with his parents and he is 42.
I moved out at 16 but I think anything over 23+ is too old and if you are 23+ years old still living with your parents, you should probably reevaluate.
I mean who cares? there is people who live with parents until 30 for all sorts of reasons..oh it’s “weird” so I’ll just move out by myself and spend thousands a month or whatever depending on what you rent and location..never heard such shite in my life, if you’re in a relationship then you want to move out but you need a reason to.. so if you’re dating or need the space etc so pretty much move out when you need to not because oh I’m 23 now I must move out or it’s weird...I’m 20 and still live with my parents and single so what reason do I have to move out yet? 0 reason and would be a waste of money, if I got into a relationship of course I would move out as then it makes sense and obviously would be weird, most move out before 23 because they want to feel like they’re progressing in life and jump on the band wagon but that’s their choice, to me it’s just a number nobody cares about and depending on if you should move out depends on relationships, work, stuff like that ✌️
I don't think there is a set answer to this because there may be cultural reasons for people to live in multi generational families or there may be financial reasons for doing so.

People should just do what works best for them and not worry about what other people think about their living arrangements
Original post by angelinahx
I moved out at 16 but I think anything over 23+ is too old and if you are 23+ years old still living with your parents, you should probably reevaluate.

Omg how did you move out so early ? Any tips
23 and up. I just think it’s weird and childish to want to stay under your parents roof past that age. Unless you’re taking care of them and they’re unable to live by themselves or the other way around.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think you shouldn’t judge people for their living arrangements. You need to be more open minded about the variety of reasons this could be because and respect that :smile:
I still live with my parents and I'm 26 (I'm disabled, my mum looks after me). My brother didn't move out til he was 29 because of how his then girlfriend/finances family did things (cultural reasons). Tbh, people need to not be so judgemental. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Original post by Pathway
I still live with my parents and I'm 26 (I'm disabled, my mum looks after me). My brother didn't move out til he was 29 because of how his then girlfriend/finances family did things (cultural reasons). Tbh, people need to not be so judgemental. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

PRSOM! :hugs:
I moved at 17 and it worked for me, past 20 it starts looking a little off. But as others have said, living situations vary. I nearly moved back in with my Mum last year, simply because she would have needed the help. *shrug*
Original post by angelinahx

Why?
There may be many reasons why people still live with their parents past that age. As well as the cultural side of it (in some cultures it's normal to have 2 or 3 generations in the same house), some people can't afford to move out by then.
I finally moved out last year (I was 28). But I'd been saving up for a house for ages. I was buying a house on my own and wanted to save up a decent deposit. I wasn't going to move out before and spend god knows how every month on rent.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Moonbow
PRSOM! :hugs:

:h: thanks.

Tbh, thinking about it my dad probably would've had words to say about it (my dad's middle eastern), but my brother was more than happy to stay a little longer here to save up a decent deposit for when he moved out when he got married, so worked out for him.
We're really talking about 2 things really, staying under a parents roof is one thing, staying under their thumb with no experiences of your own is another.
No age is big enough to live with your parents.
As you grow up they'll need to rest and you've got to take care of them. You expect them to work throughout their life?

You can stay under one roof and on your own expenses and maybe you can handle their expenses too...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending