The Student Room Group

Student finance appeal due to usa qualification

I would be most appreciative of some positive and supportive feedback regarding my difficulties with SFE.

I had been accepted into UEA in June and had been told that everyone is entitled finance for their first undergrad.* I am a mature student at 51 and did not imagine my Associates Degree from the USA would impact my funding.* I am from USA 7yrs ago and am now US/UK citizen so that bit is irrelevant.

First I was told zero funding as I have a degree equal to or better than the BA I am going for.* When I spoke to a representative at SFE they first said that looking on google, NARIC sees my Associates as comparable to an HNC but they also then suggested I could send in communication from my uni that I require further education.*

I did contact my university asking for a supporting letter to go along with the email they had sent me last march stating I need further education. It took them 2 weeks to send a very unhelpful email stating that they use NARIC which say my Associate’s is comparable to an Cert HE. Which, by the way, is NOT what I asked for. I ask for a truthful letter to support my argument. And the 2 weeks that took has just run down the clock in my unexpected funding race.

Following is the letter and copy of the email I sent to SFE last week.

“I am writing to appeal the decision regarding my application for student finance based on my previous education.

Due to the lockdown, I was not able to find much guidance in filling out my application but did my best in trying to translate higher education terminology between the US and the UK.* Despite my best efforts I may have ticked the wrong box somewhere.

I would like to clarify that I do not hold an Undergraduate degree or any other qualifications that can be “topped up” by my chosen University.

I spoke to one of your representatives soon after receiving the deciding email. She advised I could send a copy of communication from my chosen university that states how my previous qualifications would be considered in my application for enrolment. As my university uses NARIC to compare international qualifications, this option eases the unnecessary financial strain of ordering a NARIC statement myself.

I have enclosed a copy of University of East Anglia’s reply to my enquiry as a prospective Undergraduate Study after they reviewed my US qualifications.

Their email makes clear that my Associate’s degree isn’t even enough to get me into year one. As the attached UEA email states, my “qualifications... would require further study.” and directs me to apply for a course with an additional Foundation year.

The attached email further explains that a Foundation year is advised for me as it is “aimed for applicants who have been out of education for a while” (10 years in my case) whereas my research shows that even an HNC is good for transfer into university for 16 years.* This is another example of how my Associates degree is not comparable to the lowest certificate of higher education in the UK.

I ask that you reconsider my application with the above clarification that my previous US qualifications hold no value toward my UK education nor should it be used to deny my full funding. *“

This is the enclosed email from UEA in response to my enquiry as a prospective student with my Associates’ Degree.

“Upon review of your qualifications we would require further study to be completed before we could consider you for the English Literature with Creative Wring degree.

We do have a English Literature with Foundation Year course which you can find here and may be of interest to you as it has slightly different entry requirements and aimed for applicants who have been out of education for a while.”

I do am working class and have no family backing nor have I ever. I do not have the means to fund any of this myself and am feeling rather tenacious about finally getting a proper degree to excel in my love of creative writing and drama. If I am offered funding for years 2 and 3 this is useless to me as I have no way to fund year 1 and certainly not year 1 and a foundation year.

I am determined to get this funding through SFE.*

I spoke to SFE last week and they confirmed they received my letter and that it would take 3 weeks to assess.* This runs down the clock even more so and I am scrambling to find a way forward before uni starts.

Can anyone answer these questions please.

What further evidence or arguments might I be asked for or could volunteer to SFE?

If a US Associates degree is comparable to an HNC then why did UEA want a foundation year and not offer me year 2?*

Would another uni possibly accept me into year 2?* Or is it too late in the game to find out this year?

Are there advisors to help me in any of this who actually are able and willing to have my back?

I AM ONLY INTERESTED IN POSITIVE SUPPORT FEEDBACK .*

Thank you so much

Original post by Sainta
I would be most appreciative of some positive and supportive feedback regarding my difficulties with SFE.

I had been accepted into UEA in June and had been told that everyone is entitled finance for their first undergrad.* I am a mature student at 51 and did not imagine my Associates Degree from the USA would impact my funding.* I am from USA 7yrs ago and am now US/UK citizen so that bit is irrelevant.

First I was told zero funding as I have a degree equal to or better than the BA I am going for.* When I spoke to a representative at SFE they first said that looking on google, NARIC sees my Associates as comparable to an HNC but they also then suggested I could send in communication from my uni that I require further education.*

I did contact my university asking for a supporting letter to go along with the email they had sent me last march stating I need further education. It took them 2 weeks to send a very unhelpful email stating that they use NARIC which say my Associate’s is comparable to an Cert HE. Which, by the way, is NOT what I asked for. I ask for a truthful letter to support my argument. And the 2 weeks that took has just run down the clock in my unexpected funding race.

Following is the letter and copy of the email I sent to SFE last week.

“I am writing to appeal the decision regarding my application for student finance based on my previous education.

Due to the lockdown, I was not able to find much guidance in filling out my application but did my best in trying to translate higher education terminology between the US and the UK.* Despite my best efforts I may have ticked the wrong box somewhere.

I would like to clarify that I do not hold an Undergraduate degree or any other qualifications that can be “topped up” by my chosen University.

I spoke to one of your representatives soon after receiving the deciding email. She advised I could send a copy of communication from my chosen university that states how my previous qualifications would be considered in my application for enrolment. As my university uses NARIC to compare international qualifications, this option eases the unnecessary financial strain of ordering a NARIC statement myself.

I have enclosed a copy of University of East Anglia’s reply to my enquiry as a prospective Undergraduate Study after they reviewed my US qualifications.

Their email makes clear that my Associate’s degree isn’t even enough to get me into year one. As the attached UEA email states, my “qualifications... would require further study.” and directs me to apply for a course with an additional Foundation year.

The attached email further explains that a Foundation year is advised for me as it is “aimed for applicants who have been out of education for a while” (10 years in my case) whereas my research shows that even an HNC is good for transfer into university for 16 years.* This is another example of how my Associates degree is not comparable to the lowest certificate of higher education in the UK.

I ask that you reconsider my application with the above clarification that my previous US qualifications hold no value toward my UK education nor should it be used to deny my full funding. *“

This is the enclosed email from UEA in response to my enquiry as a prospective student with my Associates’ Degree.

“Upon review of your qualifications we would require further study to be completed before we could consider you for the English Literature with Creative Wring degree.

We do have a English Literature with Foundation Year course which you can find here and may be of interest to you as it has slightly different entry requirements and aimed for applicants who have been out of education for a while.”

I do am working class and have no family backing nor have I ever. I do not have the means to fund any of this myself and am feeling rather tenacious about finally getting a proper degree to excel in my love of creative writing and drama. If I am offered funding for years 2 and 3 this is useless to me as I have no way to fund year 1 and certainly not year 1 and a foundation year.

I am determined to get this funding through SFE.*

I spoke to SFE last week and they confirmed they received my letter and that it would take 3 weeks to assess.* This runs down the clock even more so and I am scrambling to find a way forward before uni starts.

Can anyone answer these questions please.

What further evidence or arguments might I be asked for or could volunteer to SFE?

If a US Associates degree is comparable to an HNC then why did UEA want a foundation year and not offer me year 2?*

Would another uni possibly accept me into year 2?* Or is it too late in the game to find out this year?

Are there advisors to help me in any of this who actually are able and willing to have my back?

I AM ONLY INTERESTED IN POSITIVE SUPPORT FEEDBACK .*

Thank you so much

Hi
Just to make things clear can you confirm the below:

1. What course have you have applied to study at UEA
2. What higher education qualification do you already hold ?
3. How many years of higher education have you previously studied?
4. What is your Nationality and how long have you been back in the U.K. from your time in the USA?
5. Was it [email protected] that you emailed?
Original post by murpo
Hi
Just to make things clear can you confirm the below:

1. What course have you have applied to study at UEA
2. What higher education qualification do you already hold ?
3. How many years of higher education have you previously studied?
4. What is your Nationality and how long have you been back in the U.K. from your time in the USA?
5. Was it [email protected] that you emailed?

Hello,

I wasn't given that appeals email. I posted a print out of letter and uea email. When I called SFE last week they said it was received and in queue to be assessed.
I have been accepted into Eng lit with a foundation year at UEA.
My previous qualification is a US Associate's degree in Language Arts. I was studying various things for 4 years.
I immigrated from US to UK 7 years ago. Never been here at all before that. I became a UK citizen last year so am now US/UK dual citizen.

I have since looked at other unis and one said it does consider year 2 entry if previous qualifications are in line with year 1. They won't be. It is a different world of education. A few classes might match up but not a year 1's worth.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest