The Student Room Group

Near-Misses and Dashcams

Hello! Would like some knowledge?

A few days ago, I drove for the first time at night due to my work and got into a near miss because I failed to indicate. The car behind me did not know I was also changing into their lane and that was where the near miss happened as they had to brake. They beeped, and flashed (?) and shouted I think, all which I understand. Nothing happened however, thank goodness.

Due to me having to change the road I take due to several road closures, I got distracted thinking what if the road up ahead was closed too. There was also a (drunk?) person walking on the road instead of the footpath and I was concentrating too much on what he could unpredictably do. Doesn’t excuse anything but just wanted to relay how the mistake happened.

What I am anxious about is I know some cars will have dashcams and I wanted to know what type of penalty/fine/punishment I would be facing. And how long can I expect a letter to arrive. I haven’t made any sort of mistakes driving before this but I know it could have ended badly. I tried searching it but it didn’t specify and the incidents some people posted were usually more serious.

In the meantime I’ll practice with an experienced driver and be even more cautious when driving at night. Probably look to take some advance driving courses once I can so afford it.

TLDR; near miss of rear ender due to failure to indicate. Nothing happened but what penalty/fine would I have been looking at and how long should I expect before a letter arrives?
when I drove over a nice old man, in Strawberry Hill, I saw him tumbling behind me in the rear view mirror.
Luckily for me, this was basically in front of the Twickenham Police College, and several 17 year old trainee PCs were soon on scene.
Once we had found Henry John Hxxxxx, as he had disappeared from the road - he was found in the local off-license buying a loaf of bread.
His statement was to the effect that he walked into the road without looking, was a bit surprised to be hit by a car, but it had happened before.
It was his fault, and he was going home to eat.

I received a month later a letter from a Chief Constable, indicating that I was not on this occasion being prosecuted, but i would be responsible for the life of Henry John Hxxxxx for One year and One Day from the date of the incident, and I might be later arrested. I wasn't.

Drive more carefully, I don't think the UK currently do policing by CCTV, retrospective fines without consultation, for minor RTA incidents.
Unless you were speeding, or passed a light set at red. Drive slower, and a speed awareness course might be more beneficial than an advanced driving test - that might even make you drive faster?
Reply 2
Original post by LuigiMario
when I drove over a nice old man, in Strawberry Hill, I saw him tumbling behind me in the rear view mirror.
Luckily for me, this was basically in front of the Twickenham Police College, and several 17 year old trainee PCs were soon on scene.
Once we had found Henry John Hxxxxx, as he had disappeared from the road - he was found in the local off-license buying a loaf of bread.
His statement was to the effect that he walked into the road without looking, was a bit surprised to be hit by a car, but it had happened before.

I received a month later a letter from a Chief Constable, indicating that I was not on this occasion being prosecuted, but i would be responsible for the life of Henry John Hxxxxx for One year and One Day from the date of the incident, and I might be later arrested. I wasn't.

Drive more carefully, I don't think the UK currently do policing by CCTV, retrospective fines without consultation, for minor RTA incidents.
Unless you were speeding, or passed a light set at red. Drive slower, and a speed awareness course might be more beneficial than an advanced driving test - that might even make you drive faster?

Was it really necessary to include personal details in your post?
Original post by IWMTom
Was it really necessary to include personal details in your post?

I was trying to reply in the long chatty style of the OP, who was very nervous about his near-miss. [all actual details in my post were anonymised. the police college isn't at Strawberry Hill, for example] it did happen, pre-CCTV, when there were actual police officers on the beat. :-)
Original post by LuigiMario

Thank you for your reply! I didn’t speed nor drove when the lights were red, fortunately. It was just that mistake of not indicating and since the driver behind me was angry, I was worried that they would report the incident with dashcam footage.

I aim to drive safely because insurance is already expensive as it is for under-25s but clearly, I need some lessons on handling unpredictable situations (which happens a lot more at night in my opinion albeit that’s just from one night of driving)

I didn’t think speed was an issue but what from you’ve describe, yeah I think advanced driving courses aren’t what I’m looking for. Many pass plus lessons would do the trick?
from experience, the speed awareness course would scare you a lot! it's around £80-100, takes 4-hours, has some negatives but might be an idea.

Alternatively, as you mentioned, practicing with a friend who is more experienced, in those difficult situations, night, motorway etc good idea
Reply 6
Original post by anxious_tortoise
What I am anxious about is I know some cars will have dashcams and I wanted to know what type of penalty/fine/punishment I would be facing. And how long can I expect a letter to arrive. I haven’t made any sort of mistakes driving before this but I know it could have ended badly. I tried searching it but it didn’t specify and the incidents some people posted were usually more serious.

In the meantime I’ll practice with an experienced driver and be even more cautious when driving at night. Probably look to take some advance driving courses once I can so afford it.

TLDR; near miss of rear ender due to failure to indicate. Nothing happened but what penalty/fine would I have been looking at and how long should I expect before a letter arrives?

It is very unlikely that the police will prosecute you based on a third party dashcam if no accident actually happened. The could if they really wanted to, but the reality is they have a lot of other stuff to deal with like actual collisions. Most people with dashcams aren't going to go through the effort of submitting the footage to the police unless something serious happened. The footage might end up on one of the dashcam compilations on youtube, but that is about it.
Original post by Talon
It is very unlikely that the police will prosecute you based on a third party dashcam if no accident actually happened. The could if they really wanted to, but the reality is they have a lot of other stuff to deal with like actual collisions. Most people with dashcams aren't going to go through the effort of submitting the footage to the police unless something serious happened. The footage might end up on one of the dashcam compilations on youtube, but that is about it.

Hello, thank you for replying! Really appreciate it! Think I was just so anxious since it was my first time driving alone at night and when something did nearly happen, my mind just filled itself with worst case scenarios. It’s definitely a lesson learnt though 😓
Reply 8
No offense, but this reads like pure-o OCD, and making this thread is the reassurance compulsion.

You should really re evaluate driving with this mindset. If you go past a speed camera without looking at your speedo, will you worry about it? What about that red light that was in-between amber and red? What if god forbidden you actually end up getting a speeding ticket?

Driving has associated risks, on pretty much every single level. Dangers to yourself/vehicle, dangers to others, dangers to your license. Acceptance of this is key, and there is a genuine (relatively low) chance of these things happening, which can be mitigated even further through advanced driving.

The fact that you made this thread tells me you're probably a very careful and safe driver, but seeking reassurance on one thing that happened is very much an OCD trait, and is also very bad from a resilience perspective.

Be a confident driver, not an obbsesive one! Trust me, way worse things can happen than this. You need to be mentally prepared my friend.
Reply 9
Original post by maeger
No offense, but this reads like pure-o OCD, and making this thread is the reassurance compulsion.

You should really re evaluate driving with this mindset. If you go past a speed camera without looking at your speedo, will you worry about it? What about that red light that was in-between amber and red? What if god forbidden you actually end up getting a speeding ticket?

Driving has associated risks, on pretty much every single level. Dangers to yourself/vehicle, dangers to others, dangers to your license. Acceptance of this is key, and there is a genuine (relatively low) chance of these things happening, which can be mitigated even further through advanced driving.

The fact that you made this thread tells me you're probably a very careful and safe driver, but seeking reassurance on one thing that happened is very much an OCD trait, and is also very bad from a resilience perspective.

Be a confident driver, not an obbsesive one! Trust me, way worse things can happen than this. You need to be mentally prepared my friend.

Where did you get your PhD? If he is new to driving, he will be worried about every mistake he makes, most people are. Nothing wrong with having OCD, just as long as it doesn't affect safety.
Reply 10
Original post by Joshkav
Where did you get your PhD? If he is new to driving, he will be worried about every mistake he makes, most people are. Nothing wrong with having OCD, just as long as it doesn't affect safety.

I don't disagree with your point, but reading the original post, op had said a few compulsive solutions, which (to me) looks like they're beating themselves up to an irrational level about a non event.
When I started to drive, I used the GPS ALL THE TIME, wherever I went, that way I did not have to think about the route, when is the next turn etc., I could completely focus on driving.
Original post by maeger
I don't disagree with your point, but reading the original post, op had said a few compulsive solutions, which (to me) looks like they're beating themselves up to an irrational level about a non event.

Wouldn't say OCD, just overthinking more than anything, which I'm pretty sure every other new driver has the same mindset. Once you build up your experience, you realise that something like this is all too common and really the only way to expect repercussions of something like this, is if police saw you.
Original post by anxious_tortoise
Hello! Would like some knowledge?

A few days ago, I drove for the first time at night due to my work and got into a near miss because I failed to indicate. The car behind me did not know I was also changing into their lane and that was where the near miss happened as they had to brake. They beeped, and flashed (?) and shouted I think, all which I understand. Nothing happened however, thank goodness.

Due to me having to change the road I take due to several road closures, I got distracted thinking what if the road up ahead was closed too. There was also a (drunk?) person walking on the road instead of the footpath and I was concentrating too much on what he could unpredictably do. Doesn’t excuse anything but just wanted to relay how the mistake happened.

Think you're overthinking.... Probably nothing going to happen from this.

The police have better things to do than prosecute someone for a genuine mistake.
Original post by maeger

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply! And none taken, though I wasn’t expecting a delve into the cause of my anxiety LOL

I mean I can see where you’re coming from, just last night I accidentally switched to high beams while indicating but quickly switched back to headlights. Driver behind me decided to turn their high beams on at me and automatically, I was thinking whoa they must be so angry, must have thought I was trying to piss them off, instead of simply thinking the other driver probably thought I was a stupid tw** for fiddling with the lights.

Drivings dangerous and I’m risk adverse so really, I only do it for convenience of travelling to my work and small errands. I try to minimise all potential risks by thinking if this happens, this is the action I’ll take. Or watching dashcam compilations and thinking this might be the people I come across. Easier said than done of course.

I don’t know whether it’s a good habit of mine though since it makes me anxious but also more prepared? But my friends do say they all felt that way, so its probably just new drivers nerve at the end of the day, who knows! I’m already an over-thinker which probably just made it worse 😅
Original post by ZR246
When I started to drive, I used the GPS ALL THE TIME, wherever I went, that way I did not have to think about the route, when is the next turn etc., I could completely focus on driving.

Loooll I’m similar! I visualise the car journey and after this incident I posted about, check google maps for road closures before I set off every time. But I only go on about five routes routinely so it’s not too bad, I’ve gotten used to it by now.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Think you're overthinking.... Probably nothing going to happen from this.

The police have better things to do than prosecute someone for a genuine mistake.

Yeah, you’re probably right. Do feel a bit embarrassed now I’m reading my post a week later, my tendency to overthink got the better of me looooll

Quick Reply

Latest