The Student Room Group

Do you have to take AS level?

Hey everyone!

So in September I will be a new year 12 so I would like to be able to go in understanding how the system works with these exams etc and new studies. I know that at the end of the first year you can take an AS level and at the second year you can complete the subject and take the full A-level. My question is that I intend to do the full A-levels for all my subjects therefore do I have to take the AS level exam or is it part of the process to get the A-level?

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by EDeHavas
Hey everyone!

So in September I will be a new year 12 so I would like to be able to go in understanding how the system works with these exams etc and new studies. I know that at the end of the first year you can take an AS level and at the second year you can complete the subject and take the full A-level. My question is that I intend to do the full A-levels for all my subjects therefore do I have to take the AS level exam or is it part of the process to get the A-level?

Thank you! :smile:

Are you taking modular or linear A levels?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Are you taking modular or linear A levels?

Hey!

I just looked online at what modular and linear A-levels are so I presume they are linear :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
You don't have to take the AS level exams! They changed the system a few years ago - it used to be modular (where you'd take the AS and it would be worth 40% of the whole A level), but it's now linear.

The AS exams are completely separate from the A level / A2 and a qualification in their own right. I'm guessing that you're doing linear A levels, as the modular ones have been almost completely phased out, so your whole grade will depend on your year 13 exams.

Ah thank you so much, this really helps!! 😊
Original post by EDeHavas
Hey!

I just looked online at what modular and linear A-levels are so I presume they are linear :smile:

OK if you are in England they will linear and you don't need to take the AS as it is now a stand-alone qualification [marks don't carry forward].
You don't have to take the AS level exams! They changed the system a few years ago - it used to be modular (where you'd take the AS and it would be worth 40% of the whole A level), but it's now linear.

The AS exams are completely separate from the A level / A2 and a qualification in their own right. I'm guessing that you're doing linear A levels, as the modular ones have been almost completely phased out, so your whole grade will depend on your year 13 exams.

This is only true in England - hence my question :smile:
Reply 6
OK if you are in England they will linear and you don't need to take the AS as it is now a stand-alone qualification [marks don't carry forward].

Thanks so much!!
Reply 7
It depends on your college/ sixth form, you don't need to take them for the qualification but my college still makes everyone sit the AS exams and use your results to determine whether you get into the second year
Do you do modular ones, and are you in Wales?

No - I'm a teacher but just aware that some countries are different :smile:
Original post by 0lives
It depends on your college/ sixth form, you don't need to take them for the qualification but my college still makes everyone sit the AS exams and use your results to determine whether you get into the second year

That's illegal ... you cannot be excluded for academic reasons. Read all the controversy about the school in Kent that did this :smile:
Reply 10
That's illegal ... you cannot be excluded for academic reasons. Read all the controversy about the school in Kent that did this :smile:

They won't exclude you, just make you retake the year or move you onto a different course if they think it's more suitable
Original post by 0lives
They won't exclude you, just make you retake the year or move you onto a different course if they think it's more suitable

Are these rules published anywhere? They are on VERY dodgy ground ...
Reply 12
Are these rules published anywhere? They are on VERY dodgy ground ...

really? I thought that this was normal. we were told about it the first week, all the colleges in my area have similar rules although most base it on internal testing.

Just to be really pedantic when England had modular A levels, the AS was worth 50% of the complete A level and strictly speaking, A2 no longer exists in England as it specifically refers to the exams that form the second half of a modular A level. We now only have AS exams and A level exams. :smile:
Original post by 0lives
really? I thought that this was normal. we were told about it the first week, all the colleges in my area have similar rules although most base it on internal testing.

My school also makes us do AS levels unless our course such as geography is linear. If we perform badly in them then you have to retake year 12 as a whole. I also thought this was normal?
not every school does - but i had to.
It depends on the school, it might be on their website? :smile: We don’t take AS but I know a few schools do in specific subjects

Quick Reply

Latest