The Student Room Group

Not getting into Oxbridge

post removed

Scroll to see replies

If you don't get in, the world is still pretty much your oyster! There are loads of excellent, world-class unis and departments dotted around the UK. Don't fall for the trap of putting all your eggs in one basket though. Make sure you're applying to other good unis (some with lower offers, so that you had a solid insurance choice even if you get a Cambridge offer - in case you fail to meet it). Cambridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all and will only give you an 'edge' over other people in a few fields these days (e.g. barrister training, investment banking being the main ones) if you do get in and meet your offer.

It's a good place to aspire to studying but don't become too fixated on it :nah:
Oxbridge isn't the end-all. The UK, like America, is supported by various prestigious unis, all have their own world-class reputation in various departments. Whatever happens, don't let the disappointment stop you from achieving your dreams/goals. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a trap. Instead, keep your expectations and your confidence and prospects high.
It happened to me a few years ago. I did make a post about it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4424310

In all honesty, I felt awful for a long time. I coped by throwing myself into university life at the university I ended up attending, and by the end of it, I was actually thankful I didn't get in, as the experience I had at university was immensely positive, but a completely different one to what I would have had at Oxford or Cambridge.

I have now been rejected by Oxford three times - once for my BA then twice for an MPhil in my third year and then post-uni gap year (it's getting quite funny). It really depressed me for a while. It was the first time I'd been unable to fulfil a goal of mine, and I didn't know how to deal with it.

This year, after much research, I tried for Cambridge, and I was accepted, with funding (which is apparently very rare at MPhil level). I feel like the course is a much better fit for me than the other ones I tried for were, and I'm very excited to start. I'll always have a slight chip on my shoulder, but in all honesty I'm glad it happened this way.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
You wouldn't be putting all your eggs in one basket though. You'd be applying to 4 other unis in addition to Cambridge, so you will have backup choices.

If by putting all your eggs in one basket you mean getting overly excited for it and hyping it up too much, then that is a problem but you can avoid doing that.
I highly recommend you put a few more eggs (non-oxbridge) in the basket, because however excellent you are the odds are not in your favour.

There are lots of high quality institutions, you should look more broadly at what you want and find more unis you think are wonderful.

If Cambridge happens, great. But realistically you need a contingency plan as its more probable then not you'll need it.
(edited 3 years ago)
My daughter applied for Oxford and failed to get in. She went to a top London university and got a first. She applied for both Oxford and Cambridge for a masters and got both. Turned them down. Oxbridge really isn't the be all and end all. There are other equally good universities. Just they don't brag about it.
Reply 7
Take some eggs out of the basket and look into other universities.
As my friend (harshly told me): 'Suck up your pride and apply to Manchester and Leeds'.
A few hours of research told me that league tables and rankings aren't everything - there are other great universities out there.

I don't think of Cambridge as my 'pre-planned destination' anymore, but more of an aspiration.
Original post by Edminzodo
It happened to me a few years ago. I did make a post about it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4424310

In all honesty, I felt awful for a long time. I coped by throwing myself into university life at the university I ended up attending, and by the end of it, I was actually thankful I didn't get in, as the experience I had at university was immensely positive, but a completely different one to what I would have had at Oxford or Cambridge.

I have now been rejected by Oxford three times - once for my BA then twice for an MPhil in my third year and then post-uni gap year (it's getting quite funny). It really depressed me for a while. It was the first time I'd been unable to fulfil a goal of mine, and I didn't know how to deal with it.

This year, after much research, I tried for Cambridge, and I was accepted, with funding (which is apparently very rare at MPhil level). I feel like the course is a much better fit for me than the other ones I tried for were, and I'm very excited to start. I'll always have a slight chip on my shoulder, but in all honesty I'm glad it happened this way.

You don't know how happy I am to hear this. Well done. xx
I applied to Oxford for Oriental Studies. Ended up at Liverpool (turning down UCL in the process, which shocked quite a lot of people). It was the right choice for me and I don't regret it at all now.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Oxford Mum
You don't know how happy I am to hear this. Well done. xx

Thank you - that means a lot. ❤️ It really has been a journey of personal growth and self exploration, but I've learnt a lot from it (including that life isn't fair, or maybe more accurately, that it doesn't work out the way you planned).
Original post by Edminzodo
Thank you - that means a lot. ❤️ It really has been a journey of personal growth and self exploration, but I've learnt a lot from it (including that life isn't fair, or maybe more accurately, that it doesn't work out the way you planned).

I used to watch the Oxbridge threads, to give me some inspiration for Oxford Demystified. Yes, I watched you get rejected again and again. It was heartbreaking. Now I feel like having a glass of something fizzy to celebrate.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I used to watch the Oxbridge threads, to give me some inspiration for Oxford Demystified. Yes, I watched you get rejected again and again. It was heartbreaking. Now I feel like having a glass of something fizzy to celebrate.

Aaw, thank you! It's genuinely so touching. If you ever write anything about rejection, give me a shout. And have a glass on me, OM! :smile:
In what way are all your eggs in one basket??? Are you just not applying to any other unis or... :lolwut:

Oxbridge are unique in many aspects and undoubtedly the most competitive and well resourced unis, but doesn't mean they're everything. Having a backup plan is entirely sensible.
Original post by nexttime
In what way are all your eggs in one basket??? Are you just not applying to any other unis or... :lolwut:

Oxbridge are unique in many aspects and undoubtedly the most competitive and well resourced unis, but doesn't mean they're everything. Having a backup plan is entirely sensible.

Hopefully OP is applying to other universities. There was someone in my school who only applied to Oxford, however (luckily they got in).
You're not going to apply to 4 other universities? This won't maximise your chances, your chances will be the same as everyone else who applies for 5 universities.
No that won’t maximise your chances!! Universities don’t see what other unis you’ve applied to - it honestly doesn’t impact your chances at all.
in a similar situation, except i'm worried cambridge isn't "right" for me in terms of my own personal comfort. of course, its academically prestigious but my own wellbeing and comfort comes first :frown: still going to apply since the opportunity is important, but i'm not keen or anticipating too much, and a tiny part of me hopes to get rejected so i can focus on the other unis.
definitely. i'll have to discuss this with friends + teachers when school resumes. i've already told them i'm interested in cambridge but they won't mind me changing my mind obviously, they have no control over that. when i think about cambridge, ngl it's things like the high entry requirements, the academic prestige, the reputation of the uni after graduating, etc which are all factors but those aren't convincing imo and are the wrong reasons for applying. i'll have to think hard about whether i really want to go through with this or not, it's a lot of stress and i don't *have* to put myself in the situation by applying for it. will i regret it? eh, probably not. my career plan (Teaching) isn't that competitive where the name of your uni instantly lands you a job, and my local uni is a russell group, soo...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending