The Student Room Group

Gcse equivalency test: Biology or combined science?

Which one would/did you choose and why?
Reply 1
Hey which did you end up doing?
Original post by tanmae
Which one would/did you choose and why?

Hey! Originally I was going to go for Biology as I thought it would be easier as Its just one topic however when speak to Astar equivalency and if you check on their website they say that combined science is easier because a sit is spread over bio, chem and physics it is more basic stuff for each. However bio alone is more advanced and in depth and you should have more knowledge about bio if you wish to choose it. I hope this helps? Kelly :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xxgreenxx
Hey! Originally I was going to go for Biology as I thought it would be easier as Its just one topic however when speak to Astar equivalency and if you check on their website they say that combined science is easier because a sit is spread over bio, chem and physics it is more basic stuff for each. However bio alone is more advanced and in depth and you should have more knowledge about bio if you wish to choose it. I hope this helps? Kelly :smile:

Hey do you think this applies to any equivalency bodies? I am planning to do mine with Equivalency testing on biology now I am not sure if I should go for the combined?
Original post by iamnii
Hey do you think this applies to any equivalency bodies? I am planning to do mine with Equivalency testing on biology now I am not sure if I should go for the combined?

Ah... Im not sure for equivalency testing maybe check with them?? Do you think you would be stronger at bio than combined? Im not sure what equiv testing cover for combined but on a star they have a list of the modules broken down so that might possibly give you an idea of what topics may be covered? When are you hoping to do it for?
Reply 5
Ah... Im not sure for equivalency testing maybe check with them?? Do you think you would be stronger at bio than combined? Im not sure what equiv testing cover for combined but on a star they have a list of the modules broken down so that might possibly give you an idea of what topics may be covered? When are you hoping to do it for?

I am hoping to do it around early august, I have started my revisions now.. bare in mind I did science 8-10 years ago T_T so I am revising from scratch, any tips for me?
Original post by iamnii
I am hoping to do it around early august, I have started my revisions now.. bare in mind I did science 8-10 years ago T_T so I am revising from scratch, any tips for me?

Its been 15 years for me so I know how you feel! I'm hoping to do mine in two weeks and been revising for about a month.. If you can do Astar and your uni accepts it..I would as the questions are all multiple choice/ 55 % to pass, they are good at replying to messages and answering questions and you can pay an extra 60 pounds to get your results back in 48 hours rather than waiting up to three weeks from equiv testing that way you know sooner if you've passed or if you have been successful you know to cram harder for the next couple weeks and re-book!

Have you covered much yet??? I am using the GCSE combined science revision guide, bitesize, youtube - Free science lesson and cognito are pretty good at explaining things. Lastly I'm making flashcard with questions on and the answers on the back and trying to memorize them...

Hope that helps? :smile:
Reply 7
Its been 15 years for me so I know how you feel! I'm hoping to do mine in two weeks and been revising for about a month.. If you can do Astar and your uni accepts it..I would as the questions are all multiple choice/ 55 % to pass, they are good at replying to messages and answering questions and you can pay an extra 60 pounds to get your results back in 48 hours rather than waiting up to three weeks from equiv testing that way you know sooner if you've passed or if you have been successful you know to cram harder for the next couple weeks and re-book!

Have you covered much yet??? I am using the GCSE combined science revision guide, bitesize, youtube - Free science lesson and cognito are pretty good at explaining things. Lastly I'm making flashcard with questions on and the answers on the back and trying to memorize them...

Hope that helps? :smile:

Oh woww, we are on the same boat then xD I have been using bitesize and CGP GCSE Biology book and a few online google searches and youtube as well. I have only been revising for about 4 days and plan to sit for an exam around aug :s-smilie: so wish me luck haha. I'll find out if I can use Astar instead. Is Astar doing it remotely as well?
Original post by iamnii
Oh woww, we are on the same boat then xD I have been using bitesize and CGP GCSE Biology book and a few online google searches and youtube as well. I have only been revising for about 4 days and plan to sit for an exam around aug :s-smilie: so wish me luck haha. I'll find out if I can use Astar instead. Is Astar doing it remotely as well?

We are indeed! Have you got a conditional place? I've been offered a schools direct, paid teacher training however I have to get my Science before the end of August! So i'm hoping to do it in two weeks rather than more time studying to see how it goes! When in august are you hoping to sit it?? Yes they do it remotely. That's how I am going to do mine! Check them out, out can instant message them and ask! They also have the list on there of what you need to cover for bio or combined! best of luck!
Reply 9
We are indeed! Have you got a conditional place? I've been offered a schools direct, paid teacher training however I have to get my Science before the end of August! So i'm hoping to do it in two weeks rather than more time studying to see how it goes! When in august are you hoping to sit it?? Yes they do it remotely. That's how I am going to do mine! Check them out, out can instant message them and ask! They also have the list on there of what you need to cover for bio or combined! best of luck!

Yes I do, its not for teacher training tho :L as most people seem to be. I have to get my science before the end of aug too. I am probably gonna stick with equivalency testing. Goodluck with yours!
Original post by iamnii
Yes I do, its not for teacher training tho :L as most people seem to be. I have to get my science before the end of aug too. I am probably gonna stick with equivalency testing. Goodluck with yours!

Thank you! and you! best of luck! x
Original post by iamnii

Hey! Hows
the revision going? :smile:
Reply 12
Hey! Hows
the revision going? :smile:

Hey not the best, been lazy the past few days, but i try to revise and get 1-3 topics a day. How about you?
Original post by iamnii
Hey not the best, been lazy the past few days, but i try to revise and get 1-3 topics a day. How about you?

Ive been covering 3/5 topics I have one module left then just going to go over everything! Ive booked my test for next monday! feels real now! when have you got to pass by?
Reply 14
Ive been covering 3/5 topics I have one module left then just going to go over everything! Ive booked my test for next monday! feels real now! when have you got to pass by?

By end of Aug.

I’m planning to sit mine on 25th, goodluck with yours and lemme know how it goes! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest