The Student Room Group

Is a foundation degree worth anything?

Hi,

I've been offered to do 2 years of foundation at uni which will get me a foundation degree, then fast track to the 3rd year of the computer science course I wanted to do originally but didn't have maths, this is why they offered the foundation years. However, I know this won't be the actual computer science degree as it'll have foundation in it as well, is it worth it to do this or just get maths, then come back september 2020 and apply again and get the full computer science degree without foundation in it? I just feel like future employers won't pick someone with a foundation degree as they'll have plenty other choices from people who have the full degree with no foundation.
Original post by JoeP32111
Hi,

I've been offered to do 2 years of foundation at uni which will get me a foundation degree, then fast track to the 3rd year of the computer science course I wanted to do originally but didn't have maths, this is why they offered the foundation years. However, I know this won't be the actual computer science degree as it'll have foundation in it as well, is it worth it to do this or just get maths, then come back september 2020 and apply again and get the full computer science degree without foundation in it? I just feel like future employers won't pick someone with a foundation degree as they'll have plenty other choices from people who have the full degree with no foundation.

if its a level 5 foundation degree, then its the same as the first two years at uni and then you'll just need to do the 3rd year as a top up so it could save you a year instead of getting the maths.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
if its a level 5 foundation degree, then its the same as the first two years at uni and then you'll just need to do the 3rd year as a top up so it could save you a year instead of getting the maths.

It's this course, it doesn't say if it's a level 5 foundation degree or not.

https://www.gre.ac.uk/foundation-degrees/ach/computing-fdsc#study

Do you know if it's level 5 foundation degree or no?
It's this course, it doesn't say if it's a level 5 foundation degree or not.

https://www.gre.ac.uk/foundation-degrees/ach/computing-fdsc#study

Do you know if it's level 5 foundation degree or no?

yes that's level 5 :smile:
Reply 4
yes that's level 5 :smile:

so you think i should do the 2 foundation years then the 3rd year of the degree course?
so you think i should do the 2 foundation years then the 3rd year of the degree course?

yes i would do that :smile:
Reply 6
yes i would do that :smile:

I thought that employers would see that I've done foundation years and choose someone else who did the full 3 year degree though?
I thought that employers would see that I've done foundation years and choose someone else who did the full 3 year degree though?

If you do the top up year to get the full degree it shouldn't make a major difference
Reply 8
If you do the top up year to get the full degree it shouldn't make a major difference

i dont get how the easier 2 foundation years then 1 bsc hons year will get me the full degree though. why dont everyone do this since it's easier than the full 3 year degree? it must be worth less than the full 3 year degree?
i dont get how the easier 2 foundation years then 1 bsc hons year will get me the full degree though. why dont everyone do this since it's easier than the full 3 year degree? it must be worth less than the full 3 year degree?

It's not easier per say it's the same level for two years, they just offer it for people who don't meet the usual degree requirements
Hi,

Hi, I'd really appreciate if you could let me know how you liked this course (if you decided to go through with it). My partner is about to study it and is interested to know more. Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by KittyKF
Hi, I'd really appreciate if you could let me know how you liked this course (if you decided to go through with it). My partner is about to study it and is interested to know more. Thank you!

i didnt do it, i did computing instead.
i didnt do it, i did computing instead.

Thank you anyway! Hope it's all going well for you

Quick Reply